News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Places to play in Hoboken
« on: August 14, 2003, 03:00:14 PM »
Ha ha.

I'm visiting my brother later this year, he lives in Hoboken.  Any recommendations on where to play in the area?  I realize the immediate vicinity is no good of course, but we can drive.  He usually goes to Rutgers and has played a few other places once or twice.  Northern NJ is fine, we'd consider driving through the city as well.  We're both mid-single digit handicaps so something halfway difficult would be good, my brother says Rutgers isn't too tough.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce Katona

Re:Places to play in Hoboken
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 03:38:44 PM »
NJ National is 40 minutes from Hoboken going west on I-78. Branton Woods (#2 new upscale Public Course in 2002) is 60 minutes north off The Taconic Parkway.

George_Bahto

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 04:21:30 PM »
JAL: my kids and thir friends "play" right down the main street in Hoboken - it is one of the "places' to go to in the evenings .........  

oooooohh, you mean "golf" - hah
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

John Morrissett

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 05:34:51 PM »
Try Jersey City Golf and Racing Club (if you can get an invitation).

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 05:47:22 PM »
JAL:

Depending upon your time I'd recommend a few:

Ballyowen -- located in Hamburg -- take NJ Tpke north to I-80 to Rte 23 north. You'll need 75 minutes to get there from Hoboken.

The Knoll -- located in Parsippany -- take NJ Tpke north to I-80 to I-287 north and then take your first exit. You will see signs for the facility. George Bahto is doing restoration work here and the Charles Banks design has still got plenty of architectural heft to see. You'll need 60 minutes to get there but call ahead to find out about tee times.

Architect's Club -- located in Lopatcong Township. Good effort by Stephen Kay with Ron Whitten. Take I-78 west until you almost get to Pennsy. Take the last exit in NJ and you should get to the club with a few minutes after that. Drive time from Hoboken about 75 minutes.

Hope these suggestions help ...

P.S. Also can't go wrong with Hawk Pointe in Washington Township, High Bridge Hills in High Bridge and Wild Turkey isn't bad since it's part of the course complex with Ballyowen.

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 08:35:22 AM »
John, the invite is the key isn't it?  Hell we'd go to Pine Valley if we had the invite.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

Red_Flag

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 02:20:22 PM »
Qoute from JAL:

"John, the invite is the key isn't it?  Hell we'd go to Pine Valley if we had the invite."

Is this meant to be a low key pitch to grab the attention of a member from Pine Valley...or...is this quote quite possibly in need of the largest "NO SHIT YOU WOULD" response we've seen in a long time.

JAL, no offense meant here, but my father lives over 2500 miles away from Pine Valley and....uh....he'd be on the next plane to Philly if he got the "invite".  

So, since the answer to your question and the response to your statement would be so obvious for everyone that plays golf, I must put up the "RED FLAG" for this being a post not for Golf Club Atlas but purely for Golf Club Access.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 02:31:11 PM »
Did you register just to post that?  Your first post and you want to use it to scold somebody?  Are you a meter maid?

I read these forums for over a year before I started posting.  I'm not here to whore myself onto courses.  Point is, if I had access to invites I wouldn't have needed to start the thread in the first place.  I've never met anybody on this forum, I wouldn't try to meet my first GCAer on the #1 tee at Pine Valley.  Despite the well known tendencies of Pine Valley members to invite strangers off the internet to come play the course.

Sorry John if I sounded like I wiseass, I'm sure the course is nice.  Lots of courses would be great if I had an invitation, but I'm looking for places to play that are available to me.  Listing private courses is of little use.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 03:18:20 PM by JAL »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 12:34:42 AM »
Perhaps I'm out of line here, but...

We always talk about trying to get people from the industry into the discussions here, and although he tries to post with a low profile, JAL is Jim Lipe...a lead architect with the Nicklaus organization.

I'm sure if he wanted to use "connections" to get onto virtually any course, he could, but he seems uncomfortable with doing so and was simply asking whether there is a decent, architecturally interesting course in the nearby Hoboken area where he could have a game with his brother.

Perhaps his comments were misinterpreted by "Red Flag", but I didn't take them that way.  I think it was a leap to suggest he was hoping to solicit with his comments.  

Jim...you may want to have a look at Steve Smyers Royce Brook course, although it's probably a good half-hour drive from Hoboken.  The Rutgers course is fairly good, but I sense you're probably looking for something that will hold your interest and I can imagine it's always interesting to view the work of your competitive counterparts.  I hope you have a fun time wherever you decide to play.

Red_Flag

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2003, 07:50:45 AM »
OOPS.

My bad.

I thought you were a freeloader JAL.

I guess I maybe got confused by this quote...

"Point is, if I had access to invites I wouldn't have needed to start the thread in the first place."

Guess I just misunderstood your words.

Sorry for the razing.  I'll try to keep my vituperous behavior to a minimum from now on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back