News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Most of my experiences on the course with a cart have been awesome, I love to play. Just spent the afternoon on the course.

Bill_McBride

If anyone has a better cart during rain delay experience than Mucci...

Details please.   ;D

Tim Leahy

45 holes in one day in Cabo with Jason Topp. 27 at Cabo del sol and 18 at Diamante. With stops at the nines for beer and street tacos. Hard to believe it was January last year.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andy Shulman

One more vote for Ballyhack.  I wish it were walkable....but it's not.

John McCarthy

If anyone has a better cart during rain delay experience than Mucci...

Details please.   ;D

I am a mere reader of this forum.  But it involved a Ford model.  Go ask the man himself.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Paul Carey

Sand Hills.  54 holes the full day there.  A total of 45 holes on arrival day and getaway day. 

Amol Yajnik

18 holes with my father at Palmetto Bluff on Father's Day.  Normally it's a walking course for most of the year, but they let us take a cart because it was > 90 degrees that day, and we still got to use a caddy.  First time my dad and I ever birdied the same hole was on that day too.

Matt Bosela

June 2010 at Sand Hills - two days, 54 holes each day, a feat that would have been impossible without a cart in that heat. 

That last 18, we (fellow GCA'er Harris Nepon and I) were the only group on the course and while playing the short par four 7th, a couple drives by us in the opposite direction near the green, waving as they go by.

"I wonder who that was?", Harris asks.

We'd find out after finishing up on the 9th, as we'd head up for a hamburger at Ben's Porch and run into Dick Youngscap and his wife, along with a number of members enjoying some drinks as sunset approached.  We were asked to join them and we did, capping off an incredibly memorable two days in Nebraska.

A very close second would be my first trip to Sagebrush in British Columbia, as I was fortunate enough to play with club visionary Dick Zokol and get the grandest of tours around his excellent course.

Jason Topp

45 holes in one day in Cabo with Jason Topp. 27 at Cabo del sol and 18 at Diamante. With stops at the nines for beer and street tacos. Hard to believe it was January last year.

That was a good day!

William_G

hit n giggles with my wife and friends
drink carts always nearby
iHome blaring music
fun times for a 9-hole 8some
It's all about the golf!

jonathan_becker

For me, the best experience was at Canterbury because I had the chance to (a) play the course for the first time ever and (b) meet two great guys--Bill McKinley and Jonathan Becker--for the first time (I wish I could play like they do). Canterbury would have been more fun walking, but carts definitely did not take away from the fun.

We did have a lot of fun that day and the carts worked out great with the unpredictable weather.

Aside from that, carts at Stone Eagle and Kapalua are hard to top when you've got family and close friends with you.

Greg Tallman

That was a good day!

45 holes... Brad Tufts is not impressed  ;)

Scott Szabo

A 54-hole day at Sand Hills is hard to beat.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Lloyd_Cole

2 days and 54 holes at Sand Hills.
I must say I was devastated when I heard it's carts at Sand Hills. My only time coming close to not hating it is when I've had a pencil bag with me and I've been able to put it on the seat behind me and then take it to the ball with me (not done lots of places, I know). I managed to have some fun on some Mexican island a few years ago doing this.

Ari Techner

2 days and 54 holes at Sand Hills.
I must say I was devastated when I heard it's carts at Sand Hills. My only time coming close to not hating it is when I've had a pencil bag with me and I've been able to put it on the seat behind me and then take it to the ball with me (not done lots of places, I know). I managed to have some fun on some Mexican island a few years ago doing this.

Lloyd

Do not worry.  Sand Hills welcomes walkers and has a great caddy program.  The course is fantastic to walk with very minimal walks between greens and tees.  It's really a course made for walkers that also allows carts. 

Bill McKinley

Love the stories gents! Thanks for chiming in. It seems like Ballyhack and Sand Hills have been a bit of a common theme.  Keep the stories coming! It's fun to read while the snow is still on the ground in Ohio.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

BHoover

The snow is gone here in Columbus, Bill. I know a few of my friends are out playing today. I'm crossing my fingers that spring is coming soon and that maybe, just maybe, I can get out next weekend or the week after.

Come down to Cbus this spring, if you can!

Tim Martin

It would be hard to nail down the best experience but the most recent is certainly 36 holes at Rivermont in the burbs of Atlanta. When you put a standout golf course together with great playing partners and some all world hospitality it is tough to beat.

Wade Whitehead

Please don't tell my children that Ballyhack is unwalkable.

Thank you.

WW

Kevin Lynch

Please don't tell my children that Ballyhack is unwalkable.

Thank you.

WW

Are you talking 9 or 18 holes for the kids?  Tell them if the Gregarious Irishman can walk it, any flat-belly should be able to do it.

What's fun at BH is that the carts don't detract from the experience like they might at other courses.  They seem to fit with the rugged nature of the property (and help around the cabins).  Even if you do walk, it's still nice to hitch a ride to 9 tee, on 11, to 16 tee and 17.

Sean Leary

It would be hard to nail down the best experience but the most recent is certainly 36 holes at Rivermont in the burbs of Atlanta. When you put a standout golf course together with great playing partners and some all world hospitality it is tough to beat.

But I thought you played with Mac and O'Halloran?

Pete_Pittock

a game of wolf at MPCC-Shore

chasing my blowing hat the whole length of the 15th hole at Pacific Dune. Finally corralled beyond the green.

any round at Sagebrush and Ballyhack.

Gene Greco

Tim

No one has to explain to me how wonderful a day at Rivermont is spent golfing your ball.

I love the place.

Maybe the best value in private golf in the United States.

So how could all these swell vibes spur you, Mac and that court jester OHalloran to send me a greeting in such poor taste? ;)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bill McKinley

The snow is gone here in Columbus, Bill. I know a few of my friends are out playing today. I'm crossing my fingers that spring is coming soon and that maybe, just maybe, I can get out next weekend or the week after.

Come down to Cbus this spring, if you can!

I saw that CBus hit the coveted 50 degree mark a couple times.  You guys are always a couple weeks ahead of us on the weather front.  We got hit with a couple more inches of snow yesterday so I think March golf in Cleveland is very much in question.  I'll have to try and make the jaunt down I 71 to get geared up for the year!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Keith OHalloran

Most of my experiences in a cart have been great. Playing Sand Hills at almost 8:45 on a June night with a buddy missing a hole in one on the 53rd hole by an inch. His eyes were bright enough to light up the sky for the photo.
CJ having to take my cart privileges away at Dismal because we had too much fun.
The aforementioned 36 at Rivermont.
None of the courses are unwalkable, but they become vey difficult to walk when you plan on the beer intake that we had.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back