News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Colt in England
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »
I'm off to England around Easter in April and want see more Colt. Besides the usual suspects of Swinley Forest, Sunningdale New and St. Georges Hill what are the other must see Colt courses in England?  Which are the best preserved?  

Thanks for your insights!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:47:22 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

Re: Colt in England
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
I played Canterbury last September, which is a Colt design. I loved the layout, some very nice holes.
Ricardo

Ryan Coles

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
Dan

Give Broadstone a try.

Also recommend reading Colts Classics, which is a lovely book.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
I have heard the greens at Canterbury are original Colt.  Yes? 

I have a copy of Creating Classics. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
I think the greens are original Colt, but a fellow GCA member Tom Culley is a member of Canterbury and I am sure he may give you better information. I played with a friend there and we had a wonderful time.
Ricardo

Tom Culley

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:37:46 PM »
Hi Dan,

I'm a member at Canterbury and play whilst i'm studying in the city. Unfortunately i haven't studied the history of the course a great deal, it is certainly a Colt design, although there's no doubt that it has been changed by committee's throughout the club's history.

I would be happy to host if you are in the area, a round at Canterbury combined with an afternoon exploring the city and seeing the Cathedral could make for a great day.

Regards,

Tom
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Paul Gray

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »
Are you staying in the south of England? If so, your opening gambit suggests you want to experience some of the lesser lights. If I'm correct, let me, yet again, recommend Camberley Heath. Just forget that it has a few too many short par 4's to be taken too seriously by anyone that fancies themselves as a tour player and just enjoy the experience. Also, Blackmoor is a grower and Broadstone excels. Frank Pont is apparently doing some excellent renovation work at both.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Broadstone, Tandrige, Canterbury, & Prestbury are all lesser-known Colt courses that are on my "want to see" list.  If he doesn't happen to post on this thread, I suggest checking with Frank Pont for his advice.

Canterbury cathedral is well worth a visit.  I've seen it, but not the course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
Dan,

Whittington Heath, just north east of Birmingham. A cracker with splendid green complexes....and under threat from a new railway line so all 18-holes may possibly not be around for many more years.
atb

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Dan, If you venture North, I have friends who are members of Prestbury and Ringway who would guest you, I'm sure. Sandiway is also worth a round. Sadly I no longer have connections there. Manchester (north of the city centre) is well worth visiting.

Dan Moore

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I may try to visit Hoylake in which case visits north may work out.   I'll circle back as I start to set my itinerary. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
Dan,

You'd be welcome to join me at The Northumberland, if you were this far up. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
Dan,

I am happy to hear that you are able to make this trip. Please take pictures and share the experience with us.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
Dan,

If you were in the north west I should also commend two McKenzie courses in the area, Reddish Vale (see Ran's Courses by Country) and Cavendish (reviewed by several on GCA). Duncan Cheslett is a proud member of RV and would, I know, introduce you and Cavendish is about half an hour away, so 36 holes in the day is easy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back