News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Glens Falls CC, NY (Ross, 1914/1922) Photo Tour
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
Let's try this thread again.  I'll just post a few holes at a time.

Back in 2012, I saw Ian Andrew’s comments on Glens Falls and added it to my list of courses I wanted to see.  Fortunately, last October took me to the Montreal area, and I decided to detour down to the Adirondacks and check out Glens Falls.  I’m really glad that I did. 

Ian does a nice job introducing the appeal of the course.
Glens Falls would be best described as a wild rollercoaster through the forests of upper New York State. The course features some of the biggest ups and downs I have seen in quite some time and the variation in how the land was used is a tantamount to how good Donald Ross was at identifying excellent holes. There is nothing flat from the fairways to the greens and there are so many truly innovative features added including the one of a kind green on the 5th.
http://ianandrewsgolfdesignblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/glen-falls-country-club.html

Here’s a look at the routing, with the first tee at the upper left.  Ross is responsible for both 9s, with the first opening in 1914 and the second in 1922.

Hole 1     Par 5, 484/497
This bridge takes you to the first tee, with a brief crossing of Round Pond.

A straight tee shot up the saddle of the 1st fairway will run into the rough after about 240 yards.  It’s better to go up the right side, leaving a bit more room for tee shot length as well as taking advantage of a kick forward. 

From behind the green, you can see some of the contours of the fairway as well as how the hole narrows at the green site.

Hole 2     Par 4, 379/399
Like often seen in Ross routings, the hole plays across a valley, with elevated tee shot and green.  This is from about 240 from the tee.  The green is set into the side of a large hill, with a big false front and a large drop off if missed on the right.

Looking back towards the tee (upper left) rolls of the fairway are evident.

Hole 3     Par 3, 155/172
The 3rd green is surrounded by bunkers, with ones on the left and right above the surface of the green.  The first bunker in line with the green is well short of the green, but along with the hillside behind affects your distance perception. 

Standing on the 4th tee looking back, you can make out the upper tier of the green. To the right side in the distance, the drop-off right and long of the 2nd green is clear.  The approach to the second is one of those that gets a bit more intimidating after you’ve finished the hole.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:36:07 PM by John Mayhugh »

BCowan

Re: Glens Falls CC, NY (Ross, 1914/1922) – Deserving of more attention
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
Thank God, I love this course just looking at the photos

Keith Grande

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
Interested to see more, I've heard a lot of good things about this course.

However, I'm sure that opening tee shot over the pond isn't the most user-friendly.  I'm sure breakfast balls are often in effect here!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »
Looks just wonderful, and seems you were there at a great time of year. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the holes.

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
On the edge of my seat!  I can't imagine a better piece of property to design an inland course. 

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:55 AM »
       A friend played this course about five years ago and told me he thought it was really good. I took note of his comment at the time because he has played a lot of quality courses. I had forgotten about it. Really glad this thread is up and am looking forward to the unfolding tale to come. It certainly appears to start off with a bang.
   Thank you John for taking the time. Given that there is currently about two and half feet of snow in my back yard, GCA is the only golf I have right now.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:36:02 AM »
For those that have played Taconic, how do they compare? Thanks for reposting John.

mark chalfant

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »

Mike,

Glens Falls   7
Taconic       3

Glen's terrain and  ground movement are very special,

fabulous  Ross greens and some of his most memorable holes

No Williams College  culture at  Glens,  but  a superior and more interesting course  

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:28:32 PM by mark chalfant »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Me Likee! A lot!

scott_wood

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
Mike, I'll disagree with Mark...."blondes, brunettes and readheads AND different courses for different folks "....
I've been playing both for the past 40 years, and imo, especially since the Hanse "fine tuning" a few years back, Taconic IS my choice 8-2.....
(that being said, I've only been to GFCC twice in the past 4 years)....similarities abound:BOTH are very good, FUN!, both challenging to a wide assortment of handicaps, interesting green complexes,  rolling, diverse terrain...
GFCC has an edge on the par 5s, (though the redo of Taconic 1 by Hanse really energized the start, and 10 with it's relative shortness and wildly back/front canted green always seem to frustrate ALL), Taconic's par 3s are all intersting (varied length, direction, better miss in the correct spot...#13 has a placque commemorating Jack Nicklaus' hole in one in US Jrs of '56 (57?)) and a much more diverse set of Par 4s. Not a knock on GFCc, but Taconic seems to present the golfer with a different "shot" on each hole, whether it be length, or left/right...., though most 4's have a second shot UP to the green esp on the front ( 2,4, 6,7)...Hanse' best change , imo, was the addition of a lower tee on 13, a mid length L/R Cape 4 ( "canyon drop off left!) with a green slanted R/L neccesitating left side tee placemnt for any hope of a 2 putt 4...and Taconic's setting amidst the land regulated, never to be built on Green Mountains, make the Walk in the park test ( non strategic, of course) a 9.5, especailly in the autumn....GFCC does have more blind shots.....BOTH lots and lots of FUN to play..can't go wrong at either, BUT if travelling to this area, and you only had the opprotunity to play ONE1...Taconic, for sure.......

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
Next time I'm up that way, must see Taconic.

Hole 4     Par 5, 526/550
The climb up to the 4th tee results in a more comfortable tee shot, though it is a bit blind.  It is easy to run through the fairway on the left if you don’t take the correct line. 

On a first play, the second shot seems pretty benign, but position matters.  There’s a hint of it here.

Nearer the green, the valley of sin becomes clear.  It is possible to run the ball up to get nearer a front hole, but the angle of approach will be important.  Today, most players will be hitting a fairly lofted club in, but a mistake off the tee or with the second will provide some adventure.

This photo doesn’t do justice to the contours on the green.  It is possible to see a bit of a backstop behind the flagstick.

Hole 5     Par 4, 329/341
This short par 4 looks pretty uninteresting from the tee.  There are bunkers on both sides of the straight line up the wide fairway, and you can see where Ian has been expanding the fairway width to make the bunkers more of a hazard.

Nearing the green, all still seems reasonably straightforward.  The front of the green is pinched in a bit by a false front on the right side and bunkers.

Turns out that the green is something of a shelf, with a significant drop off in the back and on the right.  This seriously shrinks the effective size of the green and supplies a great short grass threat for the approach shot and any putts.  Planning the hole from the green back to the tee, it’s easy to see the importance of positioning your tee shot based on the hole location of the day, and why widening the fairways to bring the bunkers more into play makes so much sense.

Hole 6     Par 4, 392/399
This is another blind tee shot.  As he often did, Ross placed the tee at an angle to the fairway. The first bunker on the left provides a good line up the hill.

It’s about 150 yards from the top of the hill to the green.   Approach shots from further back can take advantage of a kickplate short and right of the green, especially if the hole is cut on the right tier.  The left side requires more of an aerial shot.  Note how the left tier is also crowned a bit in the rear.  There is a corresponding false front on that side as well.

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
John

very interesting green complexes, love them.  I also like the entrance to the 4th green, does it look natural in person or is it a man made depression?

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

Mike,

Glens Falls   7
Taconic       3

Glen's terrain and  ground movement are very special,

fabulous  Ross greens and some of his most memorable holes

No Williams College  culture at  Glens,  but  a superior and more interesting course  

When was the last time you played Taconic?  The renovation and especially huge tree removal at Taconic several years ago made a huge difference in the course.  Really brought it to life.  I like both places and they have different pros and cons but both are truly great classic courses. Can't really go wrong with either IMHO.

Dan

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
Can't wait for #7! 

John Mayhugh

Re: Glens Falls CC, NY (Ross, 1914/1922) – Holes 7-9 posted
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
Let's see if I can get started back up again.

Hole 7     Par 4, 261/292
This short par 4 plays across a valley to a steep fairway.  Depending on the firmness of the ground and the cut of the fairway, balls not hit far enough or on the correct line can end up back down at the bottom of the fairway.  It’s only around 120 yards to the green from there, so quite playable, but on such a short hole one wants to get closer.  Ross gives you the opportunity to make a real mess of things. 

On the left side, just short of the bunkers, there is a flat area where the ball will stop.  It’s not a huge target, though, and requires a tee shot of 210-240, depending on the tees you play from.  It’s more likely for players to try to avoid the left bunkers with a longer tee shot.  The problem there is that the hillside slopes diagonally, so the carry will need to be 20 or 30 yards longer to ensure you don’t get sent back down the hill.  It’s a fun tee shot, though I fear too many people end up playing an approach from the same spot.

If you avoid the left side bunkers and make it up the hill, this additional bunker short and right of the green awaits.  Note the steep drop for approaches that miss the green any way but short.  It’s easy to imagine better (longer) players not having satisfactory results on a hole that seems like a pushover.  It reminds me quite a bit of the 16th at Holston Hills, though the hill in Tennessee isn’t nearly as steep.

The back of the green viewed from the second tee.

Hole 8     Par 4, 351/362
After the climb up to the 8th green, you turn around and play back across the same valley. This tee shot also confronts an uphill fairway, but a carry of 220-230 gets you past that. 

The approach gets to confront the really steep slope, with the green perched high above the fairway.  The difficulty of the approach puts extra pressure on the length of your tee shot.

From the back right of the green, you can see how either a too-weak approach or too-strong putt could leave you at the same place back down in the fairway.  The wonderful 9th green is in the background.

Hole 9     Par 3, 138/150
This little green site needs to be seen to be believed.  Not as brutal as the “2 or 20” hole at Engineers, it still puts plenty of pressure on an accurate tee shot. Anything a little short or left will end up hung up on the hill or back down at the base.  The miss right is every bit as bad, with a deep bunker to contend with.  Note that there are stairs both to climb up to the green surface and to climb up/down from the right side bunker.

The green from the 8th fairway, showing what awaits a pulled tee shot.

Long seems the only good miss, as it’s pretty flat behind the green.  I wouldn’t really fancy an aggressive chip from there, though.

One final look at the green from the ladies tee.  Easy to see the stairs from here.

BCowan

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
John,

thanks again, i remember #9 from prior to the crash..

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
Based upon what I've seen thus far, would it be fair to say that Glens Falls CC is located on a difficult site that  Ross did a superior job of taming? It looks like there is significant elevation change and a number of steep slopes that had to incorporated intelligantly into the design.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
Need the rest of this. Wonderful course that's making my mouth water for some good golf.

If someone wanted to set up an upstate New York getaway I would definitely have time for that. Many good courses up there that have been brought to my attention by GCA.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
Need the rest of this. Wonderful course that's making my mouth water for some good golf.

If someone wanted to set up an upstate New York getaway I would definitely have time for that. Many good courses up there that have been brought to my attention by GCA.

+1.  Awesome Idea.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »

+1.  Awesome Idea.

That is a very handsome course.
Wow
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
The problem with an upstate NY getaway is the distance between certain courses. You could do Glens Falls, Mohawk, Yahnundasis, Teugega and Leatherstocking as a central/capital district sojourn.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Very fetching, indeed.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Sherma

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
The problem with an upstate NY getaway is the distance between certain courses. You could do Glens Falls, Mohawk, Yahnundasis, Teugega and Leatherstocking as a central/capital district sojourn.

The Central/Capita trip described would be a great one. I am sure that there is a very good Western area itinerary that would work as well. I've always enjoyed my time in upstate New York, very underrated area in my opinion and I don't mean just golf.

The older established areas of the northeast and midwest have so many good under the radar courses it is ridiculous.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »
This place looks great!  Love the routing, land, greens, and the unique holes.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
You would need Western 1 (Rochester) and Western 2 (Buffalo-Batavia.)

For golden-age aficionados, the Western 1 might include Oak Hill West, Monroe, Irondequoit, CCRochester and one more.

The Western 2 would include Stafford (Batavia-between B and R), Park, CCBuffalo, and two more.

There are plenty of other courses in both areas.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back