News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Greg Holland

Best 2d shot?
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:38:33 AM »
As I recall, Jack Nicklaus said the 8th at Pebble Beach is the greatest second shot in golf.  The unique site and beauty of that hole certainly create a memorable shot.  Seems to me that Augusta's 13th, Pine Valley's 13th and Pinehurst No. 2's 5th hole all qualify as well, but for different reasons.

What are some other "Great second shots" and what about the shot/architecture makes it so?

Chris Roselle

Re: Best 2d shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
I have always enjoyed the second shot on the 16th hole at Merion.  The heroic shot over the quarry to a very cool green complex is one of my favorites.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
Didn't an eminent player once say something about the 2nd shot to the par-3 2nd hole at Royal Dornoch being the hardest shot around. Difficult to disagree with his suggestion. Who was it that said it though?
atb

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
Thomas,
Re the second at the second at Royal Dornoch:  I think that particular nugget of wisdom came from the membership at RDGC.  And speaking from experience, the second second (otherwise known as the 3rd) when you get cute with a chip shot (think trying a little pitch instead of a bump and run) on that hole can be daunting too.  The third second can be tough too. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
I've yet to play it, but I'd think the Road Hole would be right up there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
Thomas,
Re the second at the second at Royal Dornoch:  I think that particular nugget of wisdom came from the membership at RDGC.  And speaking from experience, the second second (otherwise known as the 3rd) when you get cute with a chip shot (think trying a little pitch instead of a bump and run) on that hole can be daunting too.  The third second can be tough too. 

Ditto the tenth at Dornoch, which has a green like a turtle.  Not as big as a tortoise.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »
Thomas,
Re the second at the second at Royal Dornoch:  I think that particular nugget of wisdom came from the membership at RDGC.  And speaking from experience, the second second (otherwise known as the 3rd) when you get cute with a chip shot (think trying a little pitch instead of a bump and run) on that hole can be daunting too.  The third second can be tough too.  

Ditto the tenth at Dornoch, which has a green like a turtle.  Not as big as a tortoise.

And as a bonus, the tenth green at Dornoch can provide a great third shot and fourth shot to go along with that great second shot.

Another green of that type is that narrow little slip of a thing at Yeaman's Hall (something like the 11th maybe?).

P.S. In the category of "Par 4 second shots" I nominate the tenth hole at Royal St. Georges. Skyline green, hitting off an uphill lie, deep pot bunker front-right with just a bit of false front to feed into either the bunker or off the left side of the green if you come up short. The real genius bit is how deep the green is from front to back, making it totally unnecessary to try and hit the ball onto the hard to hold front of the green...unless of course you want to have a makeable putt at a front hole location.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:59:39 AM by Brent Hutto »

Steve Salmen

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »
I have always enjoyed the second to the par 4 9th at Sea Ranch.  It's a very pretty, elevated approach shot.

Michael Felton

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
I'm quite partial to the 2nd shot on 16 on Walton Heath Old.

As far as 2nd shots that scare the pants off me when there's not even a green involved, I would nominate Royal St George's 14th hole.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Dornoch has a few of these.  Astonished that Foxy hasn't been mentioned yet.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:08 PM »
Dornoch has a few of these.  Astonished that Foxy hasn't been mentioned yet.
I thought about the Foxy-14th but then thought that as perhaps a lot of folks can't get there in 2 shots so it's the 3rd (4th/5th/etc) shot that is the hassle prone shot.
The 6th at RDGC isn't very pleasant if you miss the green with your tee shot either.
The 18th at Kington would be a good call. Evil/challenging pretty much no matter where you are.
atb

Steve Wilson

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
I putted my seventh on to Foxy from about seventy/seventy five yards once.  And no, I don't want to talk about it.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »
I have always enjoyed the second shot on the 16th hole at Merion.  The heroic shot over the quarry to a very cool green complex is one of my favorites.

Great choice Chris, that's the shot I always think of.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
Didn't an eminent player once say something about the 2nd shot to the par-3 2nd hole at Royal Dornoch being the hardest shot around. Difficult to disagree with his suggestion. Who was it that said it though?
atb

Tom Watson
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
The second shot at the par 5 13th at Silloth would get my vote because depending on the tee and weather conditions you can either be aiming to hit a iron short of the gap as far up without running off into the bundi, or alternatively you might be looking to hit the plateau fairway beyond the gap hitting possibly a wood into a wind, or you may even have a crack at the green. Whatever the options or shot to play there's a great sense of challenge on consequently achievement when you succeed.

Niall 

hhuffines

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
I'd go with the 6th at Royal Cinque Ports and the 16th at Pacific Dunes for the challenge of executing a short iron or wedge and the potential punishment for a miss.  I would love a second chance on the 18th at Oakmont someday.

Greg Holland

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »
With Riviera coming up, would anyone put holes such as the 10th there, the 4th at Mid Pines or the 8th at Pine Valley in this category?

JESII

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
The second hole on the C-9 at Huntingdon Valley has to be high on the list. Don't have a picture, but it's superior to any other I've played.

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
4th hole at Fishers Island is way up there.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
2nd shot to ANY hole at Goat Hill, though 2 and 7 are the most amazing and time consuming-think quasi predictable plinko
first timers generally hit it over and OB on 7 -closest thing to #4 at The Sacred 9 I can think of
Who knew there were 2 sacred 9's? ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »
I have always found the second shot into the first at Sand Hills rather challenging.
If you are thinking isnt that a par five, indeed it is.
I guess it all depends from which tees you are playing and how the wind is blowing, but whenever I have played, from the back tees with the wind blowing right to left, finding the right place to leave the ball is very tough.
You want to be left side of the fairway for the best line into the heavy sloped green, but also the 'junk'off the fiarway on that side is rather brutal.

There are several great par fours that present with tough second shots at Sand Hills as well, I just thought I would single out a par five as they are not usually considered as tough second shots unless going for the green.

I would also add the second shot at Kingsley's #2 if you miss the green long!!!!!

Greg Taylor

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
May be obvious how about the 18th at the OC...?

Off the top of my head 8th @ PB wins for me however.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »
atb

Tom Watson

l
Not true, Ed

That quip was in currency when I first visited Dornoch (3 years before Tom first visited there).  The most likely suspect for the quip was the Scottish professional, Eric Brown.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

DMoriarty

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
For a historical perspective . . . In the 1902 "best holes" discussion, the Alps (17th) at Prestwick was the consensus choice for best two shot hole. A slightly different question than the one posed here, but the reasoning seems to based largely on the quality of the 2nd shot.   The 9th at Brancaster also received some mentions, again because of the quality and difficulty of the second shot.

I haven't played either of those holes, but I'd have to think that the Alps hole at NGLA might merit some consideration for the quality and difficulty of its second shot.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
May be obvious how about the 18th at the OC...?

Off the top of my head 8th @ PB wins for me however.

You mean Kiawah? ;D

Just kidding mate.
That certainly would be a very good one.
Have to agree though #8 at Pebble is awfully hard to beat, but surprised nobody has chimed in with #17 at The Old Course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back