News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Nigel Islam

Courses that its not cool to like on GCA
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
In response to JRPott's spirited defense of Medinah #3 on the Homerphobia thread, I would like to air some grievances. Don't show up to a GCA event with these bag tags! I will start with a few:

Arcadia Bluffs
Medinah #3
Muirfield Village
Pebble Beach
Royal Lytham

Matt Bielawa

Re: Courses that its not cool to like on GCA
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
I'll add Oak Hill (East)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
This could escalate quickly.

Any member of GCA that gives anyone grief for any bag tag should reconsider his direction in life.

All golf courses have merit, as they constitute the golf that we love.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
This could escalate quickly.

Any member of GCA that gives anyone grief for any bag tag should reconsider his direction in life.

The bag tag quip was a joke. I really don't fear ridicule for the fact I love Pebble Beach.

Oak Hill, East is an excellent one.

I am going to add Oakmont and Erin Hills to my original list

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
torrey pines south, cog hill #4

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
Nigel:

Is it cool not to like ANY course anymore?  Or are people just supposed to like everything, in varying degrees?

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
It's not cool to like any golf course affiliated with Rees Jones.
H.P.S.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
There are NO links, zero, is it not cool to like. For the record Trump Scotland or whatever it's called does not appear to be a links.

I think it would be uncool to show up with a bag tag from The Villages, unless the owner's intentions were ironic or, even better, post ironic. Which raises a point: you can show up with *any* bag tags you want if you are authentically post-ironic. Living in Kierkegaard's lowest plane, aestheticism, but in a self-aware manner -- I'd like to see somebody out there make that attempt. Just wallow in the mediocrity of golf course architecture...for the sake of wallowing in mediocrity. Embrace the marketing bullsh*t. Just swallow the whole thing and live the experience of 18 consecutive signature holes.

As the Home DepotTM ads say, let's do this!!! This is an all-call for the Binx Bolling of GCA.com. Don't answer if your armpits stink.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
Stadium course at TPC Sawgrass seems to get pilloried. I love to play it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
It's not cool to like any golf course affiliated with Rees Jones.

nor, light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance, Mr Trump!
atb

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
Nigel:

Is it cool not to like ANY course anymore?  Or are people just supposed to like everything, in varying degrees?

Some courses get picked on more than others here. You could even make a case for Augusta National being on this list.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
This thread is a lose, lose situation. Nobody will gain from this. It will just stir up a heap of trouble.

There is nothing in this world that pleases everybody. There are mixed emotions about every subject. This is no different for golf courses.

Every course could end up on this list because people have opposing opinions; however, there is one thing that everybody can agree about on this site: We love golf. As Ronald said, "All golf courses have merit, as they constitute the golf that we love."
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Kevin_D

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
I've seen Bethpage Black get beat up quite a bit around here

(I dissent from that opinion)

William_G

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

well put
It's all about the golf!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
Amazing how all you deficit-enhanced trolls lose sight of the original premise. Here it is:

Don't show up to a GCA event with these bag tags!

Here's the thing: make my foursome a trio immediately if you look at another's bag tag and criticize it. You have no class...zero.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
Nigel:

Some courses get picked on more than others here. You could even make a case for Augusta National being on this list.

It's OK to play Augusta, or even go to The Masters,........
 as long as you're secure in the knowledge that due to your unique understanding of architectural intent, you know more than its founding fathers, its longtime stewards, and current leadership
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
Nigel:

If your point is that people are piling on these courses and only these courses, because they're afraid to express a differing opinion about others which are held in higher esteem, I think that's a fair point.

However, if you are saying that we shouldn't criticize these courses (or any course) because we all love golf, then I disagree completely.

And if the thread is really about bag tags, I wish you'd been clearer so I would not have wasted any time on it.

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
Muirfield Village, Oak Hill East, Firestone South, Sahalee, Troon, Turnberry
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:32:21 PM by Brian Hoover »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
And if the thread is really about bag tags, I wish you'd been clearer so I would not have wasted any time on it.

I don't think it's literally about bag tags. I do think it is (directly or indirectly) about cretins who will offer abuse to someone sporting a certain bag tag.

I suspect it is also about standing up and saying "KMA, GCA. I love Industry Hills and will always love her."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Martin Toal

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
The Belfry (Brabazon)
Celtic Manor
K Club
Gleneagles (PGA Centenary)

Is there a pattern there?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
This thread is a lose, lose situation. Nobody will gain from this. It will just stir up a heap of trouble.

I totally disagree. Our biases get totally out of control on this site and we've stopped giving some courses a fair shake. It's important to acknowledge that.

Pebble Beach, Erin Hills, and Augusta definitely belong. In the case of Augusta though, I don't really see people who have played it and don't like it. I just see haters who are mad because they'll never get to play it themselves.

I'd add Whistling Straits and The Prairie Club, particularly the Dunes course. The latter doesn't get lambasted or anything, but it generates shockingly little attention considering how good it is. Honestly, any course designed by a former Tour pro not named Ben Crenshaw is guilty until proven innocent. I love wearing Valhalla gear to every GCA event. Not only does it look good, but it also works great as a windbag detector.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I like Oak Hill East.
Am I fond of the work Mr Fazio did around the creek/now a lake...no
But
I like Oak Hill East and it beats me up everytime I play it......so there!!!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »
Point of order: are we allowed to discuss the rationale explaining why the courses mentioned in this thread sometimes get criticized or are we allowed only to talk about the discussion around the courses?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
It's not cool on GCA to really like Congressional.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
what is the criteria for not liking a course on GCA...  

are they courses that we think are overated..

I Like Oak HIll -east

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back