News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Angela Moser

Clay Site - tee construction
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:06:05 AM »
Hello everyone,

Which tee construction method would you recommend for heavy heavy clay? What layers, drainage etc? Pleased to hear positive and negative experiences from you guys.

Thanks,
Angela

David Minogue

Re: Clay Site - tee construction
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »
Hi Angela,

Could you be a bt more specific, are you going to use the clay as subgrade??

Cheers

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
Shape the clay subgrade with a low side to drain the water. Don't make a bath tube out of it. Then add a sand/organic matter growing layer. Most every region of the country has a company supplying this material for building tees.

The big issue for percolation is how deep do you layer the sand/organic matter growing medium. Norm Hummel has a series of tests for making that determination. Some materials drain well with a 6 inch layer, some materials do not release water very well unless they are over 9 inches deep.

Norm Hummel's link is below. I would send him several mixes to test and let him choose the one best suited to your budget and your project. I would also send him samples of the clay you are building on and ask him if he thinks drainage tile is needed in the tees. In some cases you don't need tile.

http://www.turfdoctor.com/

Ian Larson

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
I would actually make a bath tub out of them. But make a bath tub with only 3 sides. If they are square tees tilt your sub grade to whatever side is best and keep that wall open consisting of the mix. I'm sure money is an issue as with any golf construction project these days and to cap a clay sub grade and tie in from the tee surface to all of the surrounds nicely could easily double the amount of mix you use, with no added benefit. That clay is probably perfectly fine for sustaining rough grass, make use of it and lower your projects bottom line.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
Angela,

I'm not a fan of running sand-based mix out beyond the well because you essentially create weeping along the interface on the side of the tee slope. I find tees built this way end up with a lot of mechanical damage around them. I also find those banks mushy in the spring or after steady rain.

Bradley's comments about soils are spot on. Get a soil test to determine what will happen between your native base and your proposed sand based mix. It will give you options. I use Dr. Hummel a lot and value his recommendations, particularly when using only local soils.

In Quebec I deal with very heavy clay at all the courses I work with. Some superintendents prefer a clay-loam mix with occasional drains and those who prefer sand-based tee mix almost always add drainage.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back