News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RussBaribault

New Member Introduction
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Russ Baribault and I am new member to GCA. A friend of mine turned me on to the website and I have been hooked ever since. A little background on me, I love golf (who doesn’t) and I spent 14 years working in the golf business (ages 14-28). I am 32 now. I am born and raised in Philadelphia. I think there are few places where you will find so many great courses with so many different course types and layouts. As I am sure a lot of you are aware Philadelphia has courses designed by Donald Ross, William Flynn, A.W. Tillinghast, Coore & Crenshaw, George Crump, Hugh Wilson, Gary Player, Arnold Palmer. Tom Fazio, Reese Jones, Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, George Fazio, Robert Trent Jones and Jack Nicklaus (which are over an hour away). All of this is within one hour’s drive of where I live in the Philly suburbs. What a line-up!! I suspect the only place that comes close is the MET Section. I have been lucky enough to place at least one course by all these architects.

I look forward to being part of the discussion group and conversing with everyone.

Also, I am going to Bandon Dunes Resort in the middle of February and does anyone have any suggestions to enhance the experience?
“Greatness courts failure, Romeo.”

“You may be right boss, but you know what, sometimes par is good enough to win”

Marc Huther

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
Welcome Russ!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Russ Baribault and I am new member to GCA. A friend of mine turned me on to the website and I have been hooked ever since. A little background on me, I love golf (who doesn’t) and I spent 14 years working in the golf business (ages 14-28). I am 32 now. I am born and raised in Philadelphia. I think there are few places where you will find so many great courses with so many different course types and layouts. As I am sure a lot of you are aware Philadelphia has courses designed by Donald Ross, William Flynn, A.W. Tillinghast, Coore & Crenshaw, George Crump, Hugh Wilson, Gary Player, Arnold Palmer. Tom Fazio, Reese Jones, Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, George Fazio, Robert Trent Jones and Jack Nicklaus (which are over an hour away). All of this is within one hour’s drive of where I live in the Philly suburbs. What a line-up!! I suspect the only place that comes close is the MET Section. I have been lucky enough to place at least one course by all these architects.

I look forward to being part of the discussion group and conversing with everyone.

Also, I am going to Bandon Dunes Resort in the middle of February and does anyone have any suggestions to enhance the experience?

Dear Russ,

I like you already.

Sincerely,
Da.....

Ahhh, nevermind.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »
Hey I know that guy.  Welcome Russ.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
Welcome, from another Philadelphia suburbanite.
As for suggestions to enhance your Bandon experience...Sasha the caddie   :)

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:08 PM »

Take note of the wind and play a mix of tees, senior to back depending on the wind.  The courses are designed to work best with the summer breezes not the winter winds.  Especially Old Mac.

Arrive 3 hours before sunset the day before golf starts and practice hitting shots off the tight turf,  finish with a quick round on Shorty's.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »

What a line-up!! I suspect the only place that comes close is the MET Section. I have been lucky enough to place at least one course by all these architects.

The MET is more than close... But welcome anyway! (I guess Ran dropped the quota on Philly guys! :) )

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
Welcome Russ!
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »

High quality rain gear and a good attitude!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:40 AM »
Welcome Russ

David Davis

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:46:28 AM »
Welcome Russ,

My girlfriend is from Philly (we live in Amsterdam) so I've been forced to be a fan as well. Made my first visit this last summer and spent the entire time playing golf in Jersey, Baltusrol, Somerset Hills, Pine Valley. WTF? Didn't realize there was any golf in the Philly area.....

Bandon, it's in my home state and makes me proud. Best resort in the US by a mile and closest thing to real links golf stateside in my opinion, in fact, it is real links golf. (except trails)

It's a game changer if your main experience is US parkland golf. You might just sell everything and relocate.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back