News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Moving on up - Ogilvy Clayton
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
This retweet from Ogilvy Clayton twitter account seems to suggest they are in the running for a new course at Streamsong.

@jtarble: @WalkingGolfer @OgilvyClayton Looking great. Let's hope reports are true...Ogilvy/Clayton being considered for next course at @streamsong_fl

If they do get the gig is this the coming out party for the firm?

I think Clayton and his firm are at a really interesting stage at the moment. They have have had plenty of good reviews especially from those connected with this site but success, firstly in getting the contract  and secondly if they are to deliver a course comparable to it's neighbours, could truly launch the firm into the top echelon of firms.

With 7MB hopefully approaching the launching pad, El Rincon in Spain (from their website another Doak partnership) and the possibility of Streamsong.  The next few years could be an exciting time for the firm.

Involvement at Barnbougle Dunes and St Andrews Beach delivered critical plaudits but most of those flowed to the senior partner - Doak. Since then there have been well received redevelopments at Torquay, Bonnie Doon & Healesville to name a few. Royal Adelaide (a coup followed by a setback from my very limited knowledge of events) sounds like an interesting story too.

Other than Barnbougle & St Andrews I haven't seen any of the firms work but that''s due to not playing much golf at the moment.  Torquay & Healesville are near the top of the list for course I want to check out.  I'd also like to reacquaint myself with Victoria and see what they've accomplished there. Mike has been up to my home course, Heathcote, and thinned out the trees improving the course with some fairly simple chainsaw driven remedies.

How do others more familiar with their work see Ogilvy Clayton?

Tyler Kearns

Re: Moving on up - Ogilvy Clayton
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »
Sean,

Outside of Barnbougle Dunes & St. Andrews Beach, I am only familiar with Mike Clayton's work at Peninsula Country Club (North & South courses).  I was fortunate to play the courses with him, and he walked me through the extensive renovation.  The work was excellent and left a very good impression.  It would be nice to see his firm get the work.

TK

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Most of their work in Oz has been renovation/restoration.  However a few of those were sufficiently comprehensive to count as almost totally new courses - Royal Qld and Bonnie Doon being the two that spring to mind that involved the construction of totally new holes.  And then the likes of Vic and The Lakes were also very significant in terms of appearance because of the massive clearing of vegetation.

Clayts fixed up my track and in general the work is excellent, but by no means universally applauded

So on a new site?  Who knows.  RQ was a good effort on a crap piece of land, so if they get their mits on a decent block can they resist the temptation to go berserk.

Frank Pont

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
Wow, that would be great, and very well deserved! I'll keep fingers crossed for Clayts!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »
I had no idea they were even considering another course at Streamsong.
We do have a couple of really good projects seemingly likely to happen. Obviously Seven Mile Beach is an extraordinary piece of land and there looks to be another pretty good site and hour or two north of Melbourne. Point Lonsdale too.

Sean

El Rincon isn't going to happen - not anytime soon anyway.

Josh
Pardon my lousy memory - where are you a member??

Justin Ryan

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:34 AM »
and there looks to be another pretty good site and hour or two north of Melbourne.
Please tell me you have convinced the RACV to build a new resort near Bendigo?

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »
Mike,

I think he is at Karrinyup.

As far as Ogilvy Clayton's portfolio (& Mike Clayton Golf Design before it), the really exciting thing is that there is no obvious common "template" to the style, beyond the fact that all the courses are a lot of FUN and sit comfoortably as part of their natural habitat.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:59:18 AM »
Justin,
Not Bendigo. It's a pity because they could do with a first-class course up there.

Scott

Thanks -
I'm at Bonnie Doon Tuesday am if you are around.There is a big senior pro-am at The Australian in the afternoon - should be interesting.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:31 AM »
Justin,
Not Bendigo. It's a pity because they could do with a first-class course up there.

Can you work on any contacts you have within the RACV? They are probably the only group with the resources to make something happen.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:05 AM »
Justin.

My guess is the RACV are done with adding golf courses to their resorts. Someone though needs to get places like Bendigo organized. It's comical to have six pretty average courses when one really good one is achievable with some bold decisions. They missed one opportunity and I don't hold out much hope.
People why the game doesn't grow and so much of it is dull,unimaginative courses - but the possible new course will show what is possible outside of the cities and away from the coast.

RichMacafee

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Mike,

If it's a sunny day up at The Australian, take your sunglasses. Those Dubai looking white bunkers will blind you.

Mind you, when you see the fairway bunkering on 18/10 you will wish you were blind
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:04:36 AM »
Yes Im at LK.  Love the new work, but still some trees that need to go, although that may be an indictment on me rather than the trees.

I guess not enough work going on in Oz at the  moment to feed all those who call themselves GCA's.

And I was at the Australian over Christmas - it is an interesting place.  Members seem to have something of an Oakmont mentality, they want the course as hard as they can make it

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
Mike,

If it's a sunny day up at The Australian, take your sunglasses. Those Dubai looking white bunkers will blind you.

Mind you, when you see the fairway bunkering on 18/10 you will wish you were blind
re 18/10, just one bunker Rich, just one. A biggie though, and very pure in its white colour,
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back