News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Myrtle Beach golf suggestions
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »
I really enjoyed Nicklaus' Long Bay but that was 20 years ago. Any thoughts from the MB regulars?

Not a fan.  Lots of goofy mounding, and fairly dull overall.  Conditions can be iffy, too.  In the last 20 years, there have been a number of superior courses built; Long Bay really isn't on anybody's radar much anymore.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matt Kardash

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »
It's Caledonia for sure.

I suggest Legends Moorland as the sleeper.

WW

Wade, with all due respect, you are THE first person to EVER put Moorlands in any sort of good list at MB.  The only way it is a sleeper is that PB Dye might be put to sleep for the design.  That's a little harsh, but not much; it is a distant third in its own complex!

He may be the first, but I will chime in as second. Moorland does offer some fun golf. It has a few weird holes near the end, however there is some neat stuff out there. If in Myrtle Beach I would not at all mind playing a round there.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
It's Caledonia for sure.

WW

Wade, with all due respect, you are THE first person to EVER put Moorlands in any sort of good list at MB.  The only way it is a sleeper is that PB Dye might be put to sleep for the design.  That's a little harsh, but not much; it is a distant third in its own complex!

He may be the first, but I will chime in as second. Moorland does offer some fun golf. It has a few weird holes near the end, however there is some neat stuff out there. If in Myrtle Beach I would not at all mind playing a round there.

To each, his own... ;)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
I honestly don't know how much Strantz is in Parkland.

Just the bunkers. He had "retired" from working for Tom Fazio and the Youngs needed someone to finish Parkland after they had a falling out with Tom Doak. The area Toro rep recommended they call Strantz (who was on the maintenance crew at Dunes West near Mount Pleasant at the time) and see if he might be interested in the job. The rest is history... Strantz went on to design Caledonia, Royal New Kent and Stonehouse as an employee of the Youngs, before branching out on his own to create True Blue.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
Don't have a whole lot to add. The Dunes Club and the two Strantz courses are the best that I've seen in MB. Played the Witch in October and it was ok on the value scale at $42 with a cart, two beers, and two hot dogs.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
Anybody play Pawley Plantation ?

I might get comped there  and hear its a Nicklaus course- which I assume will be difficult

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Rob, I enjoyed Pawleys Plantation.

Paging Tim Gavrich...

WW

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 06:12:48 AM »
Anybody play Pawley Plantation ?

I might get comped there  and hear its a Nicklaus course- which I assume will be difficult

I played it about 5 years ago and it was in TERRIBLE shape. Crab grass everywhere, definitely the worst round of our trip. I would never go back as the layout was un-inspiring as well.

I too liked Moorland, and the Dye course was great as well. The cute Russian girls working at the Dye Course were to Die for.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »
Yikes.  There are now three votes for Moorland, which may exceed the total of all previous Myrtle Beach threads.

Rob, I will only say that Moorland should be no higher than the 20th course you play at MB, and then only after you have played the other 19 a couple of times each.  And if you are getting a discount.  And free beer afterwards.  

Jud_T

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
I would rather have a root canal than play Moorland again.  Similarly painful, but takes less time.  Additionally, wasting a round with the Heathland next door is the height of silliness for all but the most masochistic among us IMHO...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
A round at Moorland more painful than a root canal? Ok..

I think a search of the back pages of this dg would find that there are a few moor who like this course. Myself included.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys..

Looks like it is going to work out as

Fri- Calendonia and True Blue
Sat- Grande Dunes and the Dunes resort
Sun - Pawleys Island or legends- heathlands

really trying to squeeze the Doak course in
although I love the look of Heather Glen

John Foley

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »
It's Caledonia for sure.

WW

+1 - played Moorland years ago before I knew what GCA was and enjoyed it.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys..

Looks like it is going to work out as

Fri- Calendonia and True Blue
Sat- Grande Dunes and the Dunes resort
Sun - Pawleys Island or legends- heathlands

really trying to squeeze the Doak course in
although I love the look of Heather Glen

Rob,

Where are your accommodations? The Grand Strand is a big place... about 100 miles from one end to the other. For example, it is about a 1.5 hour drive from True Blue to Heather Glen... in good traffic! Better give a little thought to logistics or you will spend a lot of time in your car.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
Thanks Michael.

I am not sure the exact location but have been advised we will be driving quite a bit. but not so much between the rounds on the same day.

A buddy of mine is GM at one of the courses and is getting all golf and rooms comped.

so I am going wherever he wishes now.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
Rob,
Heather Glen is fine, but there are MUCH better options very close by.  Unless your friend is the GM at Heather Glen and that is part of the deal, Glen Dornoch is right across the highway, Oyster Bay, The Thistle, Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase are all nearby.  Rivers Edge is only a bit further north.  For that matter, I like Pearl West more than Heather Glen, though not all would agree.

But in any case, you will have a good trip with the lineup you already have.  I hope you get great weather for the TB/Caledonia day; be sure to let us know how you liked them.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
For example, it is about a 1.5 hour drive from True Blue to Heather Glen... in good traffic! Better give a little thought to logistics or you will spend a lot of time in your car.

I hate that little, italicized, size-10 font crap inside a quote box. You need double [/quote] to escape its clutches.

My estimate is 2/3 that, thanks to route 31. Route 31, the salvation of golfers at MB.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:09:00 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »
For example, it is about a 1.5 hour drive from True Blue to Heather Glen... in good traffic! Better give a little thought to logistics or you will spend a lot of time in your car.

My estimate is 2/3 that, thanks to route 31. Route 31, the salvation of golfers at MB.

Amen to that!  31 is a huge game changer for me; we stay at Sunset Beach, so the drive to Pawleys Island has changed completely.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
I would rather have a root canal than play Moorland again.  Similarly painful, but takes less time.  Additionally, wasting a round with the Heathland next door is the height of silliness for all but the most masochistic among us IMHO...
My 1 round at Moorland confirms this post.  A ridiculous course.

IMO, True Blue is worth a play, but Tobacco Road is a better course.  I say that because I had the feeling the whole round that the Strantz architecture fit the scruffy sand hills better than the placid lowlands.

Caledonia is really worth it, but is on tight property.  2 short par threes close the club house are unfortunate.  It might have been an example where the par 69 or 68 would have made a better course.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »
 :-*Michael - Thanks for the confirmation on Parkland.  Again, it is my favorite course at the Legends complex on 501 - by far.

Add me to the fan list of Moorland.  I have probably played it 8-9 times over the years.  The first 2-3 times, you'll hate it.  If you are above an 8 handicap, you'll probably NEVER like it.  It is very, very hard.  The angles you need to take put you in the best position aren't apparent until you've played it a few times.  If you aren't good out of the sand...expect a tough day.  I have never found a high handicap to like it...so the criticism doesn't surprise.

Heather Glen is a good course, but not great.  If I had ten rounds to play, I would play 8 across the street at Glen Dornoch (another really hard golf course) and 2 at Heather Glen (fairly easy).  Glen Dornoch is somewhere in my top 8 on the entire strand.  The last three holes are very, very tough and as scenic as any in Myrtle.

Lastly...Rob, if your friend is comping your rounds, I wouldn't be as picky.  The Dunes is a really great layout.  Very memorable.  If I had a choice, the last day (where you are south), I would still see if I could get on Heritage for the price or TPC for the quality and depending on your handicap.  TPC is quite different than any Fazio I have played...being the bunkers actually come into play, not just eye candy.  You have to hit good shots to score.  It is usually in exceptional shape and probably top 4-5 in Myrtle.  I wouldn't scratch it because of any preconceived Fazio bias.  Pawleys is really tough.  The marsh holes are very good, but the tree-lined holes are forgettable.  The last 5-7 years the conditioning has suffered.  Bunkers in rough shape, generally one of the more shaggy courses for the money.  I know it is heresy...but I'm telling you Heathland is just so-so.  It sounds like your intrigue with it wont prevent you from playing it...but I would really like to hear your honest opinion about it when you are finished.  It would be really interesting to see Mr. Doak re-work the course now, it is considered a 'warm-up' course for trip leaders setting schedules.  Let us know how your rounds went.  Despite its reputation (redneck riviera), you could play for twenty days straight and not play a bad course.  Few areas could say the same.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »

I hate that little, italicized, size-10 font crap inside a quote box. You need double [/quote] to escape its clutches.

One word, Ronald... TRAFFIC. 31 isn't the issue, it's getting to 31. The traffic on 17 bypass can rival the LIE. Brutal. This time of the year, however, you are probably correct, as the crowds don't kick in until April.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:23:41 PM by Michael Whitaker »

hhuffines

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
Not exactly Myrtle Beach, but can anyone weigh in on Crow Creek, Carolina National, or Cape Fear National?  We are headed south from Raleigh and looking for a decent course before getting to Myrtle Beach.   Thanks!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
Not exactly Myrtle Beach, but can anyone weigh in on Crow Creek, Carolina National, or Cape Fear National?  We are headed south from Raleigh and looking for a decent course before getting to Myrtle Beach.   Thanks!

All of those qualify as Myrtle Beach.

I haven't played Cape Fear Natl., but I am in general a big fan of Tim Cate's work.

I have played Crow Creek and Carolina National, and like both.  But in the same area is Rivers Edge in Shallotte, which is better than either Crow Creek or Carolina National.  And really, you are only a few minutes from Ocean Ridge Plantation; Tigers Eye is also worth a play and better than Crow Creek or Carolina National.

Remember that from Raleigh, you are only a little over 2 hours from the north end of the strand; you won't have any problem fitting in a round on the way down, even if you are staying on the south end at Pawleys.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
hhuffines,

You could try one near Cape Fear, the Wilmington Muni course.  Terrible shape, but pretty much untouched Ross and a lot of fun.  They are going to have John Fought redo it, so you would have to check if its already been closed.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

hhuffines

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »
Thanks fellas, I've played Wilmington and Rivers Edge so looking for something I haven't seen.  Probably will try Cape Fear National...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back