News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Donald Ross- which is your favorite and why?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
Has anyone played the Augusta Country Club ?

What's the assessment of that course ?

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
does anyone know which Ross courses have been the least changed or modified for todays game.
When I played Salem CC , they advised me the greens were as close to the original as there is.
I hear Holston Hills is the same way..will let everyone know in the spring after I play it.
Also Belleair CC in Florida is supposedly pretty untouched.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
RCurtiss,

Mountain Ridge is mostly intact, save for the addition of back tees.

In 1929 it opened at roughly 6,600 yards, which was long.

Wide fairways and unique contoured and sloped greens make it a very enjoyable play, plus, the prevailing winds add to the experience.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
Thanks Patrick..will have to research it ..Have not played in the jersey area yet...but working on all 50 states..so might be a good place to try and play.

Bill Crane

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Plainfield gets my vote.   I actually shot an 80 from the back tees about seven years ago, although I gather that they lengthened it for the Barclays a few years ago.   A truly fun and interesting course that features a great layout. A wonderful club as well.

I was curious how many Donald Ross courses I have played so I launched the list from the Donald Ross society and came up with 15.
So here they are in descending order from my most liked to least liked courses:

PLAINFIELD  (P C C – New Jersey)
Hyannisport  (Mass,  Good QUIRK !)
Pine Needles (NC)
Echo Lake (NJ)
Mid Pines (NC – have not played in 20 years)
Alamance (NC -  fast greens!)
Torresdale Frankfort (PA- awesome greens)
Granville GC (Granville,OHIO down the hill from Denison U !)
Agawam Hunt Club (RI)
Myers Park (NC)
Phila Cricket (PA – redesigned by Tillinghast)
Seaview Bay Course (NJ – re-design of Hugh Wilson work)
Buck Hill Falls, (PA)
Jekyl Island (GA)
Bass River (Mass)

Agawam Hunt Club, Alamance and Torresdale Frankford were the most surprising courses, both due to some interesting quirk, good greens and layout. Alamance is probably the hidden gem.  Echo Lake may highly under-rated.  Walked 3 holes at Mid Pines last month after playing Pine Needles and it looked awesome, I think it could go to #2 on my list.

Looking forward to playing Pinehurst #2, Mid Pines again, Holston Hills on the Outpost Club, Essex Co Mass, and Mountain Ridge.

Wm Flynnfan

BHoover

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
Brian,

How much of Ross is left at Inverness ?

That's a good question.  Unfortunately, it's not one I can answer because I haven't played Inverness.  From what I've heard, however, not enough.  The course is currently being renovated, but I don't know whether the renovations are intended to restore some of the Ross features.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
My top ten (out of 20 or so played) faves:

Plainfield
Lulu
Holston Hills
Hyde Park
Pine Needles
Mid-Pines
Beverly
Idle Hour
Augusta CC
Mountain Ridge
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Burnes

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
Aronimink.  The first tee answers the question as to why.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »

Seminole is the best Donald Ross course in my humble opinion. Amazing greens, firm conditions, great bunkering, neat angles, great routing, it has it all.

I will agree with this as well but Brookside is still my favorite  ;)

Although Seminole does not have a "Buttcrack" green like Brookside does.  Hmmmm
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
does anyone know which Ross courses have been the least changed or modified for todays game.
When I played Salem CC , they advised me the greens were as close to the original as there is.
I hear Holston Hills is the same way..will let everyone know in the spring after I play it.
Also Belleair CC in Florida is supposedly pretty untouched.

Holston Hills was pretty awesome as was Grosse Ille CC. I liked the green complexes at Brunswick CC (GA) but the rest of the course was pretty bland and FLAT. Shennecossett (CT) and Mannakiki CC (OH) were pretty nice as well.

My plan for next summer is to play no less than 15 new Ross courses from Maine to Florida in about a week.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:48:26 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Plainfield gets my vote.   I actually shot an 80 from the back tees about seven years ago, although I gather that they lengthened it for the Barclays a few years ago.   A truly fun and interesting course that features a great layout. A wonderful club as well.

I was curious how many Donald Ross courses I have played so I launched the list from the Donald Ross society and came up with 15.
So here they are in descending order from my most liked to least liked courses:

PLAINFIELD  (P C C – New Jersey)
Hyannisport  (Mass,  Good QUIRK !)
Pine Needles (NC)
Echo Lake (NJ)
Mid Pines (NC – have not played in 20 years)
Alamance (NC -  fast greens!)
Torresdale Frankfort (PA- awesome greens)
Granville GC (Granville,OHIO down the hill from Denison U !)
Agawam Hunt Club (RI)
Myers Park (NC)
Phila Cricket (PA – redesigned by Tillinghast)
Seaview Bay Course (NJ – re-design of Hugh Wilson work)
Buck Hill Falls, (PA)
Jekyl Island (GA)
Bass River (Mass)

Agawam Hunt Club, Alamance and Torresdale Frankford were the most surprising courses, both due to some interesting quirk, good greens and layout. Alamance is probably the hidden gem.  Echo Lake may highly under-rated.  Walked 3 holes at Mid Pines last month after playing Pine Needles and it looked awesome, I think it could go to #2 on my list.

Looking forward to playing Pinehurst #2, Mid Pines again, Holston Hills on the Outpost Club, Essex Co Mass, and Mountain Ridge.

Wm Flynnfan

I do not believe the Dunes Course (9 holer) has any Ross holes left. It is a Walter Travis design I believe. I think the Ross course is NLE, and I would love to see an old aerial of it...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:59:30 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Dunlop_White

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
Roaring Gap Club

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Richard,

what 15 courses are on your agenda for next summer...15 in a week from maine to Florida.. you are my kinda golf nut.

BHoover

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Could it be that the "buttcrack" green is a template unique to Ross?  Are there other examples of this style outside of #7 at Canton Brookside?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
Richard,

what 15 courses are on your agenda for next summer...15 in a week from maine to Florida.. you are my kinda golf nut.

Not in any order mind you..

Chautauqua GC
Tekoa CC
Buck Hill Falls
Biddeford Saco CC
Newton Commonwealth
William Devine
George Wright
Brae Burn
Southern Pines CC
Stryker GC (maybe)
Bacon Park
Sanford Municipal
Wilmington GC (if open)
Harlem Valley
Triggs
Winnapaug
Wampanoag (hoping for access!)
Brainerd GC
Sewell's Point
Delray Beach
Hyde Park CC (FL)
Daytona Beach South
Bobby Jones
Fort Myers

I may thin out the list a bit before then. The wife and kids will be with the in-laws at Disney so I have free reign to go and do as I please for 8-10 days….I have others that are not Ross as well I would like to play….

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
WOW, quite aggressive...I love it!

I live in Florida.

Let me know how Hyde Park, Bobby Jones and Fort Meyers are.

Matt Wharton

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Roaring Gap Club

Thanks Dunlop!  Roaring Gap Club!  How could I forget...This course is awesome ... Dew Drop is an unbelievable par 3 plus many other great holes!  Still in shock over the brain lapse earlier!
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Matt Wharton

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
Hell, I've also played Forsyth CC in Winston-Salem and Sedgefield CC in Greensboro... Guess it's been one of those days  :-[
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
Brian,

I can probably touch on this question.  Ross's finished the expansion to 18 holes in 1917 and 1918 and drawings exist from the 1920 US Open.  As best as I can tell, the following holes have been mostly un-touched:

1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18.  A couple new bunkers are being added to #11, but otherwise, that's essentially the same, and I think some bunkers were added to #9 over the years, but otherwise looks the same.  Of course, some tees have been added since his design, but I wouldn't consider that as enough of a change to say that the hole isn't a Ross hole anymore.  For example, #7 was 438 yards under his design, and has been stretched to 481 from all the way back, but the hole remains as he built it.

BHoover

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Brian,

I can probably touch on this question.  Ross's finished the expansion to 18 holes in 1917 and 1918 and drawings exist from the 1920 US Open.  As best as I can tell, the following holes have been mostly un-touched:

1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18.  A couple new bunkers are being added to #11, but otherwise, that's essentially the same, and I think some bunkers were added to #9 over the years, but otherwise looks the same.  Of course, some tees have been added since his design, but I wouldn't consider that as enough of a change to say that the hole isn't a Ross hole anymore.  For example, #7 was 438 yards under his design, and has been stretched to 481 from all the way back, but the hole remains as he built it.

I stand corrected. There seems to be more Ross left left than I would have thought. Is the current renovation intended to bring back more features?

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
Yes, almost exclusively the intent.  Squaring the greens, grass facing the bunkers that weren't already done, and shaving entry lines into some of the bunkers are all intended to restore to the original design.  

BCowan

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »

Matt

there was a big renovation around 2000.  #4 the fairway bunker designs were copied and moved in towards the fairway about 10-15 yards.  #13 fairway bunkers moved in on the right.  #14 (my favorite Hole) used to tee off out of a chute of trees (and i don't like trees) @ 450 yards, really Cool.  Anyway they extended the fairway bunker on the left about 40 yards!  #16 the fairway bunkers were moved in.  #16 looking at original routing overviews looked like it had much wider fairway short right of the green.  #17 Fairway bunkers were moved in towards the fairway.  They also shaved fairway so that you could see the green from the right side of the fairway.  Creek used to run through the hole, they covered it up.  they also took slope off green prior to 86' PGA i believe (not sure when).  #18 the church pews to the right were added in 2000ish renovation (don't know if they were original.  The 2000ish renovations were really solid, from what i have heard and the wall built to block #1 and #10 (which i have seen), and adding bunkers in between #2 and #11 to look like #1 and #10 (is like fazio copying himself on #3 and #5) and is a miss allocation of resources (IMO).  Redoing #3, #5, and #8 would make much more sense (IMO).  Anyway, Inverness is a course you either love like i do or you think it is overrated.  I miss the flash faces on #18, even if they aren't in the original design.  #9 at Radrick reminds me of #18 at Inverness!  

BCowan

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
Richard

Fort Myers CC (Muni) is really fun to play.  The clubhouse is like a mini Pinehurst arch feel to it.  They did a big renovation to it around 20 years ago.  It is short and fun.  Your Ross list looks awesome.  I love looking for Gems...

JC Jones

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
It is sad that one can't speak without being attacked by ''group thinkers''!  This is the last place I would think one wouldn't understand unwritten customs of golf.  but then again ''People don't do what they believe in, they do what's most convenient, then they repent''-Dylan.  I guess it is true that some just can't buy class.

Ben,

This isn't an issue of group think. This is an issue of out right stupidity and ignorance.  The fact is that many top clubs (and non top clubs for that matter) allow for 5-somes.  I know of several places that allow for 5-somes and it doesn't even remotely come close to affecting the pace of play.

You are a season pass holder at a public course (despite your assertions that you belong to a private club) and so I can see the frustrations of a 5-some of someone like you.  The problem is, the issues at your course do not project to private golf clubs.

The fact of the matter is this: A) you have no idea what Seminole's policies are because you haven't been there and don't know anyone who is a member; and B) much like those who throw pot shots at Augusta National, you know you'll never be invited to play there so you don't really care what nonsense you post on this public forum.

Please stop with your insinuations that the members of Seminole don't have class and don't adhere to the customs of the game of golf.  Seminole is one of the true bastions of the game and only an uniformed and hopeless fool would say the things you've said.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Has anyone played the Augusta Country Club ?

What's the assessment of that course ?

They allow 5-somes so it must be a dog track..... ;D :o ::) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back