News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Eder

Prestwick Course Profile - Thanks for a wonderful write-up
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for an amazing course profile on Prestwick. You captured wonderfully how special Prestwick truly is while the photography was extraordinary.

I was fortunate to spend a fair amount of time at Prestwick this year. The course only got better on each play and it truly was difficult to move on from. The famous holes are famous for great reasons while the other holes range from great challenge to great fun and often times both. The stretch from 3 - 13 is a rather challenging stretch that offered a need for execution but remained enjoyable. 1, 15, 16 and 17 offer a special experience with a great deal of fun combined with at times great challenge. You captured the experience so well in your piece.

I love Prestwick. I could play it every day for the rest of my life and be extremely happy. I think you captured in your piece why I have that feeling in my heart.

The membership is extremely welcoming and nice and David Fleming the Head Professional is terrific as is his assistant Nikki. I was warmly welcomed and made to feel at home.  A wonderful experience.

It saddens me that many golfers pass on the opportunity to play Prestwick on a misguided belief that it is not a "championship" course. It is as good of golf as I could ask for personally and I always have fun and enjoy myself on the course while grinding for a score. It is very special to me.  Prestwick could provide enjoyment for the non-student of architecture or provide a PhD for the appreciator of architecture and provide a good test for the expert golfer while providing great fun.  I believe the first time player of Prestwick will be better off for playing at Prestwick.

I truly hope your piece has opened the eyes of many true golfers looking for special golf, that of which can be found so perfectly at Prestwick.  

Steve Salmen

Re: Prestwick Course Profile - Thanks for a wonderful write-up
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
Of the courses I've played in Scotland, I'd put Prestwick tied for third with North Berwick behind Muirfield and RD.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
Funny to think that on my Scottish trip this year I slotted in Prestwick last as an afterthought, only to have the experience be tied for the best with North Berwick on a trip that also included Cruden Bay and TOC.

I urge fellow GCA'er to go to Prestwick.  If your near Edinburgh, it is worth the two hour cross country trip.  Better yet, stay in the small town of Prestwick and play it more than once.  

My top three holes:

#13 Sea Headrig - Possibly the best green complex in Scotland? Agree with Ran 100%
#15 Narrows - The personification of a blind hole in golf. Up, down, over, and around.  Extremely fun to play.
#17 Alps - Tough to beat the original along with the enormous and deep Sahara Bunker.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
A GCA must play...!

10th, 13th... such great holes. The first, and the railway line... 17th etc... etc....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back