News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

Travel:  Chose your route wisely.  Google maps tends to default to the route heading north from Ogallala on Hwy 61/92.  Beware.  That route traverses several unmarked dirt roads with loose cattle and a "paved" one lane/two way road for a significant stretch of the trip.  I discourage anyone from taking that route their first trip because it can be confusing at times.  Part of the problem is also the lack of data/cell coverage.  If you get turned around, your cell phone isn't going to be of much use.  I suggest taking the route north from North Platte on Hwy 97.  It is a little longer, but it is paved the entire way with signs to the club and the risk of getting lost is much lower.  Regardless, FILL UP YOUR CAR IN NORTH PLATTE/OGALLALA.  Its a long way out to the club and back.  More than one person has run out of gas in a rental car heading out/coming back to Dismal.

Clothing:  To each their own, but I strongly prefer to wear light weight pants for several reasons.  First, it provides some sun protection.  Your cart is the only source of shade.  The sun can be brutal at times.  Second, the native has lots of little plants that like to stick and scratch.  Its a comment on the state of my game that I spend more time in the native than I would prefer, but I feel that pants provide me some protection there as well.  Third, playing golf in the sandhills is like being at the beach.  You get sand in places you can't explain.  Wearing pants lets me wear long socks without looking like a bigger dork than I am and keeps me from having to dump sand out of my shoes every 6 holes.

Speaking of sand, the gas powered carts are going to be your primary source of transportation out there, even if you walk the courses.  The carts kick up a rooster tail of sand on the dirt roads, not to mention all the other carts kicking up dust.  That brand new bag you bought for the season is going to come back with a nice layer of Nebraska terra firma everywhere.  I take an old golf bag that is now my designated Dismal bag.

Water, Sunscreen, and Bug Repellant.  Drink plenty of water, wear plenty of sunscreen, and have the bug repellant handy down by the river.

A little something...

or this, with golf clubs instead of guns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnUyVgjmppY
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Moore

« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
Is this a country club or the Burning Man festival?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Cliff Walston

« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
Is this a country club or the Burning Man festival?

A bit of both.

Eric Smith

« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
The burning man
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:10:41 PM by Eric Smith »

Brandon Urban

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
The burning man

The worst part about this picture besides Barry's just missed putt, is that I can see my ball marker about 10' away from the hole...
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
long range forecast   dry hot breezy

RJ_Daley

« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »
What, no double twisters to hide from in the bunkers?  :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
What, no double twisters to hide from in the bunkers?  :o

Dick,

We watched the life (beginning to end) of a twister about 10 miles north of us two nights ago.  Pretty amazing and, thankfully, it didn't impact any people or property.

Keith Grande

« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Can anyone suggest some good eats on the way from Denver to North Platte?  BBQ Ribs/steaks/burgers...the messier the better!

Eric Smith

« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Can anyone suggest some good eats on the way from Denver to North Platte?  BBQ Ribs/steaks/burgers...the messier the better!

Keith,

I've stopped at the J & L Cafe in Sterling and would do so again. Greasy cheeseburgers? Check!

All,

I've sent the scoreboards to the printers so there's no backing out now. ;)

Anything I'm missing? Any questions?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
I've stopped in Sterling.  To get a speeding ticket.

Eric Smith

« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
I've stopped in Sterling.  To get a speeding ticket.

That was one for the ages. Thanks again for taking one for the team.

Keith Grande

« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
Was it issued to Barney Frank or JK?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Was it issued to Barney Frank or JK?

I'm sure you know that if you are the lead car in a caravan of golfers do not get a speeding ticket unless you want to make your friends in the trailing car very very happy.  I will forever have the image and sounds of them passing me by honking, cheering and hanging out the windows like a pack of double dicked dogs.

Keith Grande

« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
Thanks for the warning!  Are there any roads that switch from like 65MPH to 25MPH as they pass through a one horse town?  Local po-po love the vacationers passing through unaware of these speed traps
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:10:38 PM by Keith Grande »

Eric Smith

« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
I'm spacing...I was thinking of the time we ran out of gas on the way back to Denver.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »
I'm spacing...I was thinking of the time we ran out of gas on the way back to Denver.

Just think, that happened going to Denver.  I am flying into Omaha taking Denver out of the equation.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
That's enough digging on Sterling, okay?  From Denver you can comfortably go 79 all the way to the Colorado border without any trouble.  Faster than that - you run the risk of getting pulled over.  

Heading east to Ballyneal from Sterling is another story altogether.  
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Keith Grande

« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »
Scott, be careful on US-6E to Ballyneal?

Scott Szabo

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
Scott, be careful on US-6E to Ballyneal?

Yes, definitely be careful along that route - don't go more than 69 (it's a 65).  You will pass through a couple of smaller towns on the way and speeds do slow down to 30-35 through each of them. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Eric Smith

« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
I got my first ticket in 20 years last fall on I-80 just west of Ogallala. The Trooper said I was doing 93 in a 75. Fortunately he saw it in his heart to reduce it to 85 and saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
I highly recommend the Applebees in North Platte. The food is dreadful but the $2 LIT's are nothing to sneeze at. Also, if you get lucky, a couple of the waitresses may take you out to "the old hangin' tree."

Apparently, they used to have quite the witch problem.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
The drive to Dismal River is so unique. A few views of Soddy Road. Of course, As Cliff mentioned, CJ once said "if you make a wrong turn, you wind up in Montana."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
on I 80, exit 107, in Big Springs, NE, for heavier dinner - Sam BassSaloon.  That is just west of ogalalla.  For lunch, Grandma Max's, same exit.   East of Ogalalla, in Paxton, NE, Ole's Big game steakhouse.   If you are going to stay one night short of Dismal, in North Platte, I never had a bad piece of meat at the Depot Restaurant, at hwy 83 and hywy 30, downtown.  If you arecoming from east, Lincoln or Omaha, and sleeping short of Dismal, try Bella Italia in Cozad. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
on I 80, exit 107, in Big Springs, NE, for heavier dinner - Sam BassSaloon.  That is just west of ogalalla.  For lunch, Grandma Max's, same exit.   East of Ogalalla, in Paxton, NE, Ole's Big game steakhouse.   If you are going to stay one night short of Dismal, in North Platte, I never had a bad piece of meat at the Depot Restaurant, at hwy 83 and hywy 30, downtown.  If you arecoming from east, Lincoln or Omaha, and sleeping short of Dismal, try Bella Italia in Cozad. 

Italian in Cozad Nebraska? That's funny!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back