News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

In my futile attempt to catch Saltzman on numbers of photo tours posted on GCA, I present to you Oakland Hills Country Club's South Course.

Oakland Hills certainly does not need much introduction as it has hosted 9 majors and numerous other major events such as Ryder Cup and US Amateur (and another US AM coming up in 2015). History oozes from every nook and cranny of this club, and you can feel it as you walk through the hallways of its majestic clubhouse.

As you drive through Route 24 among rows and rows of strip malls and non-descript office building, there is no hint that such gem is hidden amongst the concrete. But as soon as you turn right into the clubhouse drive way, you are transported back to more genteel times. You half expect Gatsby to come out and greet you as you drop off your bag.

Inside the clubhouse, everywhere you look, there is something cool to see. Oh, that's a Ryder Cup trophy! Is that a US Open trophy? Wow, original drawing of the Ross layout! Walter Hagen Room??? It just goes on and on and on.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos inside as I was not sure if it was kosher, but trust me when I say, it was cool.

Let's start with the tour!

One of the great things about old clubs is that the first tee is usually right in front of the main veranda where the members enjoying lunches and drinks can watch groups tee off and that is certainly the case with Oakland Hills as well.

Obligatory practice area...

View from the clubhouse.

Scorecard.

Routing.

The routing of this course deserves a special mention. As you can see from the picture above, the holes spread on in all many directions and you will feel the wind from all directions during play. The green to tee walks are short and direct and overall walk is like a gentle walk through a park. Ross' genius clearly shows through in its ingenious use of natural features and the brilliant mix of up and downhill holes. The terrain is interesting and complex with plenty of challenge for golfers of every stripe.

Another thing that surprised me, was how open the course was. I was expecting a typical tree-lined parkland layout with tight landing areas. I was pleasantly surprised how open the course is. Tree hardly came into play on most holes. When they did, it was usually because I was significantly off the fairway. Even then, they were sparse enough that you can play around them and not have to punch out to the fairway every time.

The conditioning was also quite friendly for a club with a reputation for having such a hard course. For everyday play, the rough was cut at about 1" to 2" and there was absolutely no problems with finding your ball in the rough. This is one course where you can play the entire round without the constant fear of losing your ball. The lies were varied enough that it will cost you some strokes, but the width was there to play various strategy required by its amazing set of greens and heroic shots are encouraged. If the fairways and greens were a bit firmer, I probably would have passed out from delirium.

Am I gushing? I feel like I am gushing. OK, I will try to tone down a bit...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:09:39 AM by Richard Choi »

Sean_A

Re: Oakland Hills CC - South (1918, Ross) - Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:11:55 AM »
Richard

I am looking forward to the tour.  As you say, OH gets an awful lot right, but its the bunker scheme people usually point toward as its Achilles Heal.  A quick check reveals that every single hole has a penal element; either a drive between bunkers or bunkers and water; an approach between/over bunkers or bunkers and water.  Its a great shame because as you say, OH is a lovely property (and you didn't say) and a world class set of greens.  The historic ambience of the club too is second to none.  Do you think the course could be improved with a far more strategic bunker scheme?  If so, how do you think that change would impact the challenge as a championship venue?

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:53 AM »
Sean, you STOLE my thunder with the WORLD CLASS GREENS PART!!! :) DAMN YOU!!!

Sean, is correct of course. There may not be a better set of greens anywhere. The mix of sizes from very small to very large, with corresponding variance in internal contour is a marvel to behold and play. It is the kind of design that will never leave you bored to play this course again and again.

This is apparent from the very first hole...

1st hole, par 4, 419 yards

If an ideal first hole is a gentle handshake that gives you a taste of things to come, this is a pretty ideal first hole.

This is a fairly straight forward hole with bunkers guarding both sides of the fairway. The trees encroach the rough on the right, but the left side of the fairway is pretty open and if you miss it to that side, you will still have a fair chance of hitting the green on the second shot.

As a legit championship course that it is, the bunkers are no joke. They are deep with various finger getting in your way.

The ideal angle of approach really depends on the pin position as the slopes are quite severe on the green as you will see. With the pin on the right, the left side of the fairway is preferred.

The opening to the green is guarded by two additional bunkers. But it is not the bunkers that you should fear...

The green is almost a double plateau with a crown on the left and another crown on the back right. There is a pretty severe slope from back to forward with a bit of a false front. It is of utmost importance to leave an uphill putt as downhill putts are slick and frightening.

This first hole reminded me a lot of the 1st hole at Plainfield with its gentle rolling fairways that lulls you to sleep than the OMG greens that kicks you in the rear. Only thing missing was a cross bunker. A fantastic way to start your journey.

John Percival

Re: Oakland Hills CC - South (1918, Ross) - Photo Tour - 1st hole posted
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
Richard,
As an OHCC member, will 'supplement' your postings with details, IF you like.
For now, some small notes...
   ...like most cses built in the golden era, OH had no range (WF still doesn't). Many clubs had to buy land or reno to create space (Plainfield?).
OH did a club reno a few years ago and moved the pool and created a decent amount of space for a range.
   ...Sean, there are only two holes with water in play (three if you count the very skinny creek that bi-sects 5 between landing areas) and only one approach over water (#16). At 7, the pond was enlarged and extended toward the tee, thus making it a formidable hazard on the drive. I consider 7 to be the South's best hole because the heroic nature of the drive and the balance of shot shapes are wonderful. Surely, Richard will provide great details.
   ...the scorecard shown is an older one. Will try to get pics of the new one and some interior clubhouse pics (with permission) and fumble thru some sort of posting
   ...finally, the pin shown at #1 is one of golf's most brutal. Yet, that same green has one of golf's most accessible (middle bowl). It demonstrates the flexibility available throughout the course for set-ups

Andrew Buck

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
A simple scan of the aerial shows the North course looks to have a lot of character as well.  Based on the shape of the tees, is it safe to assume the club used the first hole on the North as a range for professional events prior to building the current one? 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
A simple scan of the aerial shows the North course looks to have a lot of character as well.  Based on the shape of the tees, is it safe to assume the club used the first hole on the North as a range for professional events prior to building the current one? 

The North Course is currently under renovation. Wonder if that tee site will change.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »

Sean, is correct of course. There may not be a better set of greens anywhere. The mix of sizes from very small to very large, with corresponding variance in internal contour is a marvel to behold and play. It is the kind of design that will never leave you bored to play this course again and again.

Are the greens still mostly Ross?  Or have the various renovators left their footprint on them in major ways?  

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
John, you are more than welcome to contribute your knowledge on this thread. I feel like playing this course once is just not enough to understand all the strategy and subtlety. I hope people like you can chime in so that we can delve further.

Jim, I was told that the greens are all Ross, except for one. After playing them, I believe it.

Bryan Lewis

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »

Yes.  For match play part of the US Amateur they used the first hole of the North as the practice range.  I believe they also used that for the Ryder Cup and other professional events.  That allows them to use the member's range for hospitality along the 18th hole.

Bryan

John Percival

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
Richard,
It will be a pleasure to be part of this discussion.
Will talk to our Super, Steve Cook, and get the total lowdown on the greens.

FYI, the large tee at North #1 is used for Majors and is not slated for any work during the reno.
The North has some great bones and will be superb after the reno's completion next Spring.
Maybe has the hardest par 3/5 combo in golf w/o hazards at #'s 4 and 5.

Off to the Evans Scholar Hickory Stick. Great time and a great cause.

Richard Choi

Re: Oakland Hills CC - South (1918, Ross) - Photo Tour - 2nd hole posted
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
Hole #2, Par 5, 499 yards

This gentle dogleg left hole is a legit chance for a birdie if you can hit the narrow landing area.

You can see from the overhead why this course is critcized for over bunkering. Rees is very strong in landing areas on many holes.

The bunkers on the left are very prominent on the left. The fairway slopes left to right around the bend, which really encourages a draw off the tee and that hugs the leftside.

Some closeups of the fairway bunkering.

With such high lipped bunkers, most shots that find the fairway bunkers means you are probably laying up.

Good news is that even if you miss the fairway and the bunkers that line it, you still have a chance to go at the green if you can negotiate a tree or two. Heroic shots are there.

If you do hit the fairway on the favored side, the green is open to you and going for two is definitely in play.

It is too bad that much of fairway contouring is lost on these pictures. There are wonderful movements in the fairway that gives rhythm and life to the course. The rise from the layup area to the green is more interesting and dramatic than what is portrayed here.

Two bunkers guard the green which makes it very difficult to hit the green in two. They shouldn't post much challenge for people who layup and hitting a wedge up, but the fact that you are hitting up probably means these bunkers are in play quite often.

The crowned green employs some dramatic internal contouring befitting of a reachable par 5.

You can better gauge how much tilt is in the green from this angle.

Fairly friendly yet challenging start to the round so far. But the pressure is slowly building up...

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
Richard:

Wonderful start to the tour -- #2 seems to display what I've heard/read is a feature found at OH: the reverse canted fairway (tilts one way as the fairway corridor moves the opposite way). There was a recent thread about this -- which I won't rehash. But I am interested in your thoughts about their use at OH, which again I've heard is one of the reasons this course can play really tough.

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Phil, I guess I didn't notice it while I was playing it, but now that I look back on it, you are correct - most doglegs at OH feature reverse cant fairways.

I do like that feature as it is a great way to make the course play more difficult with firmer championship conditions while not overly punishing the members in everyday play. It also provides a wide variety of lies, which I think is a must for a course of this type.

Richard Choi

Re: Oakland Hills CC - South (1918, Ross) - Photo Tour - 3rd hole posted
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Hole #3, Par 3, 183 yards

A medium length par 3 that begs for a right to left shot situated in a sea of bunkers. The bunkers do provide certain "intimidation" factor. My guess is that the front right bunker sees a lot of action.

I do wonder if the original design was more redan in nature as the right bunker reshaping is all that would be required to do so.

The bunkers are deep and nasty. The scale of bunkers shows of nicely with the figure in the middle. I believe the back bunkers are tougher to play out of.

I hit a beautiful little draw with my six iron and came THAT close to having a hole-in-one (still never had one... DANG!!!).

Here is a close up of the green with my caddie posing in the middle. Due to my temporary delirium caused by my tee shot, I didn't study the green more closely. I hope others can chime in with more detailed analysis of this hole.

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
I'm still smarting about my overly complicated watch that got ruined in a torrential downpour during the PGA there.  Perhaps an honorary membership would go a long way toward salving the wound...  8)  Oh well, at least that was the trip where I first laid eyes on Kingsley...What's the average handicap of the membership?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Percival

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
R,
Re: #2, the green there is by far the one that gives me the most difficulty (except for front, left). The back half sits beyond a rise and then falls slightly away and to the right. Just nasty trying to get something close, especially when playing a third from 50-60 yards short and below the green by about 10 feet or so.

Your pics of #3 show the hole from some years back and from today. Currently, the hole (as well as a few others) features some tall fescue as a natural area. Less maintenance and a visual treat. The fescue is far enough away from play that one must hit some sort of wild shot to encounter it, so it really isn't a play issue. The overhead shot of #3 shows it when a small grove of apple trees sat along the hole's left, long side.

The green at 3 is 'subdued' by OH standards, but not without internal slopes and, you're right, the back bunkers are a test. You mentioned Redan and if you think about the pin and your shot, that area of the green does slope towards the left rear. Congrats on a terrific birdie.

More about the reverse cant fwys in my next post.

Richard Choi

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 02:09:02 PM »
Congrats on a terrific birdie.

Ummm... About that...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
Richard,
Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to the rest of your tour.
One question - was a significant tree clearing programme undertaken at some point?
All the best.

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
Thomas, my understanding is that there has been significant trees removed. But to what extent and when, I do not know.

Let me take this opportunity to discuss the issues of trees at Oakland Hills.

Going into my round, not knowing really much about the course other than what I have seen on TV (there are very few threads about OH on GCA), I was expecting something like Baltusrol where every fairway is lined with huge maples and oaks pinching in corridors and minimizing angles. To my absolute pleasure, I found this is not the case at OH. Now, it is not as open as Plainfield (or probably Oakmont), there are significant number of trees on the property still.

However, in most holes, the trees are not there to catch errant drives, bunkers are there for that. Trees are mostly there to get in the way between you and the green when you miss the fairway beyond the bunkers. To me, that is a great way to use trees on a course.

Could they perhaps trim a few more? Probably. But as it is, I think the course, in conjunction with relatively short rough, plays great for everyday play.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »

John Percival

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:08:14 AM »
R,
Is that why ur caddy has that look of foreboding dread?   :'(
Am almost afraid for you on #5 green
And 9
And 13
And 14
And 17
And 18
 ;)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 07:07:11 AM »
Thomas, my understanding is that there has been significant trees removed. But to what extent and when, I do not know.
Let me take this opportunity to discuss the issues of trees at Oakland Hills.
Going into my round, not knowing really much about the course other than what I have seen on TV (there are very few threads about OH on GCA), I was expecting something like Baltusrol where every fairway is lined with huge maples and oaks pinching in corridors and minimizing angles. To my absolute pleasure, I found this is not the case at OH. Now, it is not as open as Plainfield (or probably Oakmont), there are significant number of trees on the property still.
However, in most holes, the trees are not there to catch errant drives, bunkers are there for that. Trees are mostly there to get in the way between you and the green when you miss the fairway beyond the bunkers. To me, that is a great way to use trees on a course.
Could they perhaps trim a few more? Probably. But as it is, I think the course, in conjunction with relatively short rough, plays great for everyday play.
Richard, thank you for this. You've made some very perceptive points here IMO. Presumably less trees will be better/healthier for the grass as well, especially around the greens and tees. Less shade and less growing competition.
All the best

John Percival

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
Green's Super Steve Cook has been great about correcting the sins of previous decades, while protecting the integrity of today's play and not irritating the membership. Remember that many players, from all types of facilities, feel that trees should never be touched. They are wrong, but they can be vociferous when removal is in store.
Some of the recent, and fantastic, 'corrections' have been removals of large trees that were VERY close to greens at: 5 (front, right), 6 (middle, left), and 12 (back, left). At each location, the roots below and crowns above were problematic for the greens. Not that the surfaces were in poor condition. In fact, the greens at OH have been excellent from year-to-year, in spite of said trees and weather that has fluctuated wildly; yearly, monthly and even weekly. However, now that those behemoths are gone, the crews' job has become much easier.

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
You missed the putt???

Far as anyone else is concerned (outside of GCA where we have witnesses), I made that birdie.

R,
Is that why ur caddy has that look of foreboding dread?   :'(
Am almost afraid for you on #5 green
And 9
And 13
And 14
And 17
And 18
 ;)

I will end the suspense now by stating that I three putted almost every green that day. It took quite a bit of skill not to four putt...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back