News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

The Club Liar
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
So I have been a member of a few different clubs in my life and it seems no matter where I go,there is always one guy who lies his ass off regarding his playing abilities. The guy at the club I currently play is a man in his late 40's who tries to emulate Rickie Fowler and Ian Poulter's wardrobe. He likes to tell people he shoots in low 70's,but when I got a chance to play a few holes behind him the other day, I watched him fire balls all over the course, tacking his way in and out of  different biomes. When he got off course over heard him tell another guy he shot 73.  Anyone else have these delusion characters at his/her club?

Tim Martin

Re: The Club Liar
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »
Rick-If he is a gambler you can turn a guy like that into an annuity.

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
How right you are Tim!

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
Quick ways to lower your handicap:

1. Lessons with a qualified pro.
2. Practice, practice, practice.
3. Concentrate on every shot.
4. Have an eraser on your pencil and a fluid sense of what actually happened in that bunker.
5. New rule: No 3 putts!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
That guy doesn't bother me because he's easy money, the guy I hate is turn in 90 every round and then fire 77 in tournament rounds.

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
I like the guy that has played everywhere when it comes up.  We have one guy that plays Seminole when he goes to Port St Lucie and Merion when he goes to Pittsburgh.  And still has a "I'd rather be driving a Titleist" sticker on his car....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »
I like the guy that has played everywhere when it comes up.  We have one guy that plays Seminole when he goes to Port St Lucie and Merion when he goes to Pittsburgh.  And still has a "I'd rather be driving a Titleist" sticker on his car....

Or the "I'd Rather Be Golfing" license plate holder.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »
Sam,
That's the guy.   ;D

he's the guy that when you ask " have you played The Country Club in Boston and he replies"  oh sure but which one?"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
Sam,
That's the guy.   ;D

he's the guy that when you ask " have you played The Country Club in Boston and he replies"  oh sure but which one?"

He also has one of those things on his bag that you put your glove it for it to keep it's shape.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
Sam,
That's the guy.   ;D

He also has one of those things on his bag that you put your glove it for it to keep it's shape.

and he is always the guy on Golfwrx saying his swing speed is 118 mph..I hear he's from Texas...maybe Houston area...wait...

Keith Grande

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »
While we're at it, head covers on the irons...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Sam,
That's the guy.   ;D

and he is always the guy on Golfwrx saying his swing speed is 118 mph..I hear he's from Texas...maybe Houston area...wait...

118, I can't count that high let alone swing that hard.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

I won't play with someone with headcovers. To me it probably means you've also never touched boobs. :D

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

I won't play with someone with headcovers. To me it probably means you've also never touched boobs. :D
And they have probably touched a weiner with their golf glove on... ;D  weird

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »

I don't know you that well........

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »

I don't know you that well........

good....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
We had a guy with eight holes in one, then he had his 9th on a foggy day on a hole where he hit it 40 yards off line on a treeless hole. He never had another to my knowledge.

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
The Club Liar at my previous club was this big mouth idiot who use to tell people in the bar how far he could blast his drives, like 280 he said, yet i watched this guy who always played from the tips, barely get most of his drives past the women's tee!

astavrides

Re: The Club Liar New
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
We have one guy that plays Seminole when he goes to Port St Lucie and Merion when he goes to Pittsburgh.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:49:24 PM by astavrides »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »
Used to have a chap at an old club who marked his ball in a manner that appeared to make it move closer to the hole. He was once told "if you mark it again I'll concede the putt".

Cave Nil Vino

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
There's a difference between a "vanity" handicap and a "sandbagging."  A sandbagger can be dealt with at the club level by only counting his tournament scores in events. At my former club there were 2 members who played early on weekdays by themselves and, like D Cronan's example, recorded scores in the high 80s. When they won team events, one or both usually scored in the mid to high 70s. Needless to say, their handicaps were adjusted after 2 wins. Vanity handicappers need no adjustments.  :)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:26:09 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
There's a difference between a "vanity handicap" and a "sandbagging."  A sandbagger can be dealt with at the club level by only counting his tournament scores in events. At my former club there were 2 members who played early on weekdays by themselves and, like D Cronan's example, recorded scores in the high 80s. When they won team events, one ot both usually scored in the mid to high 70s. Needless to say, their handicaps were adjusted after 2 wins. Vanity handicappers need no adjustments.  :)

Steve-We also refer to the "vanity" handicap as a "cocktail party" handicap. Usually quoted at least 5 strokes lower than reality. Has been known to continue to decrease at the rate of 2 strokes per cocktail ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:33:11 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »
Used to have a chap at an old club who marked his ball in a manner that appeared to make it move closer to the hole. He was once told "if you mark it again I'll concede the putt".

Similar story of a guy who had a system of marking closer with a silver dollar. Great line from one of the old stalwarts was "If you mark that thing one more time you'll be in the hole"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
In the Rhodesias of old, the Club Secretary had the permission of the Club Captain to reduce the handicap of any Member who produced  a score that was patently a boondoggle.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:01:49 AM by Bob_Huntley »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
There's a difference between a "vanity handicap" and a "sandbagging."  A sandbagger can be dealt with at the club level by only counting his tournament scores in events. At my former club there were 2 members who played early on weekdays by themselves and, like D Cronan's example, recorded scores in the high 80s. When they won team events, one ot both usually scored in the mid to high 70s. Needless to say, their handicaps were adjusted after 2 wins. Vanity handicappers need no adjustments.  :)

Steve-We also refer to the "vanity" handicap as a "cocktail party" handicap. Usually quoted at least 5 strokes lower than reality. Has been known to continue to decrease at the rate of 2 strokes per cocktail ;D

I prefer the term Hollywood Handicap.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back