News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: OT: USGA, Fox Sports reach 12-year broadcast deal
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 07:17:35 PM »
Mike, when I see Rich at the BMW (presuming he is there), I'll ask him if he was told what to say. Should I drop your name?

Feel free...but it will probably come out before then...BUT do you not believe me or do you think I said that without asking? ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_Young

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
The GC has the potential to be the most powerful voice in golf.  They have the largest golf related audience in the world on a daily basis. And they know it and they aren't stupid.  
I guess its just their programming that is stupid.
It's pretty hard to define the fastest growing cable channel's programming as stupid.  It may not be something you like but it attracts golfers.  Big Break is huge...before it is over GC will be selling most tee times and will be offering handicaps...think that doesn't freak the USGA?

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
In Rosaforte's story, it doesn't appear that Norman would be working more than the opens, maybe only the U.S. Open. Fox has to build a strong lineup of commentators for the entire USGA series. Maybe some from Sky, co-owned with Fox.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
Mike, when I see Rich at the BMW (presuming he is there), I'll ask him if he was told what to say. Should I drop your name?

Feel free...but it will probably come out before then...BUT do you not believe me or do you think I said that without asking? ;)
Mike, I have no idea if you asked him or someone else at GC, so I have no idea whether to believe you or not.

Mike_Young

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Mike, I have no idea if you asked him or someone else at GC, so I have no idea whether to believe you or not.

Well as Richard Nixon said  "trust me" it was a prepared response  ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
FOX offers The Shark the lead analyst role:  http://golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/10/greg-norman-fox-sport-golf-broadcast-analyst-offer/

Pair him with Corey Pavin in 2018 for the return to Shinnecock.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 02:11:04 AM »
Norman would be the first lead analyst on American TV coverage of men's golf to have not won a major in the U.S. since Bob Toski (SNI/Hughes, 1960s-70s), who never won a major at all. All the others (Cary Middlecoff, Byron Nelson, Dave Marr, Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger, Ken Venturi, Lanny Wadkins, Nick Faldo, Bob Goalby, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller) won at least one.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
FOX offers The Shark the lead analyst role:  http://golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/10/greg-norman-fox-sport-golf-broadcast-analyst-offer/

Pair him with Corey Pavin in 2018 for the return to Shinnecock.

Pair him with Colin Montgomery..  after listening to Johnny Miller talk about all the ways you can throw away a US Open, we can now get some expert opinion on the subject.
Next!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
I missed this previously...

The 70 hours of coverage FOX says it will give the USGA's big three events is half that of what NBC/Golf Channel promised, so the net exposure is reduced. The only known quantity in all of this is the bottom line. And for now it seems as if the USGA has 20 million reasons a year to make the move from NBC to FOX.

That certainly doesn't bode well for growing the game.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/pga-championship/2013-08/pga-sirak-fox-nbc#ixzz2bg5B46kq

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/8/12/august-7th-2013-the-day-the-usgas-music-died.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
Does NBC have any reason anymore to be in the business of sports broadcasting?

They picked uphe EPL..which I am sure will be a bigger money maker than losing the Opens, perhaps they saw this coming.
Their bid to get the EPL..English Premier League...had to be rather substantial to beat out Fox/Sky/ as the Murdoch group has had that contract signed sealed and delivered almost worldwide for many years now.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 02:23:23 AM »
Does NBC have any reason anymore to be in the business of sports broadcasting?

They picked uphe EPL..which I am sure will be a bigger money maker than losing the Opens, perhaps they saw this coming.
Their bid to get the EPL..English Premier League...had to be rather substantial to beat out Fox/Sky/ as the Murdoch group has had that contract signed sealed and delivered almost worldwide for many years now.

About $83.3 million a season for the next three seasons. Rights to every game. About four a week on NBC/NBCSN, the rest online. Plus ancillary programming. They'll come out ahead. (So might Fox on USGA when all the hours are considered.)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
Frank Hannigan weighs in on the USGA-Fox deal as only he can.  Definitely recommend reading:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/9/10/letter-from-saugerties-usga-fox-sports-deal.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Great read indeed.
PERHAPS though Fox can lean on the experience of Murdoch owned Sky Sports and use some of that crew/production experience to lessen the learning curve.
I for one would love to see Ewan Murray on this side of the Atlantic hosting the US Open coverage

Mike_Young

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
The Hannigan letter says a lot.
I fear that the the main thing the $70 million a year does for the USGA is allow them to continue with the psuedo-promotion of public golf.  They have never truely wanted public golf and when it is promoted it is the large muni based tracks such as Torrey Pines or Bethpage with larger green fees.  They want nothing to do with Bushwhack Nine....now they could care less....they don't need the smaller courses of the USA.

JESII

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
Mike,

How does the USGA promote private golf?  Are we simply talking about site selection for the US Open?

Mike_Young

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Jim,
Promote may be the wrong word.  I should have said affiliated instead.  They have only affiliated with public or "for profit" clubs becuase there was a large market to tap.  
Here is some info I found that says where they are clubwise.  Looks to me like maybe 5000-6000 clubs are not members.  My bet is the number of members begin to decrease now and over the next 10 years.

"
   The five founding members began to invite other club representatives to their annual meeting and slowly added members to the USGA. Member dues started at $25 for clubs waiting to be declared full members. In 1939 all clubs paid $30 to maintain their membership. Club membership increased from 267 members in 1910 to 1,138 members in 1932, then fell to 816 clubs primarily because of the Great Depression and the start of World War II. By 1947 the USGA gained enough members to pass the 1932 membership level, and start a slow ascent. In 1980 the USGA roster exceeded 5,000 member clubs.

Aided by an unprecedented course building boom in the golf industry and a campaign to recruit new members, the USGA added 3,300 club members between 1987 and 1997, then added another 700 members by the end of the Millennium. Today the USGA club membership includes more than 9,700 golf clubs, golf courses and qualified training facilities.

In the late 1980s the USGA actively encouraged the formation of clubs without real estate. Today clubs without real estate have grown to a 5 percent representation of the total membership.

In 1995 USGA member by-laws were modified to allow enrollment of qualified golf practice centers and schools under the banner of "training facilities".

As recently as 1985 the USGA club membership was comprised of 75 percent private clubs. In the past 20 years the organization's profile changed to having 64 percent of its members organized as public or semi-private golf courses, public non-real-estate clubs and practice facilities. In the past five years, three out of every four new members had a public golf orientation.

Today, USGA member club representatives control or own 10,600 golf courses with 171,000 holes, providing employment for thousands of people and places of play for millions of golfers. More than 680 clubs hold qualifying rounds for USGA or state golf championships. More than 400 member clubs have hosted a USGA championship."

JESII

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
Mike,

I love you buddy...but just can't quite get my hands around this passionate anti-USGA program you've had going the last couple of years.

Are they perfect? Nah...but how you see them as the culprit for anyone's real life problems continues to escape me. Just think of those stats...after 120 years of trying 1 out of 3 golf courses choose not to pay the modest fee to affiliate with them.

I'm admittedly a USGA fan and defender so maybe I'm blind...

Mike_Young

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Jim,
It's not that I'm anti-USGA....I see it more like when a parent used to say that one had "gotten too big for their britches".  I think they are needed and can do much good but they don't need ot BS us.  As you read Hannigan's letter I hope you realize there is a lot more going on than just what I might have to say.  A lot of good guys left in the last few years....

Sorry if I seem to be anti USGA.  I just don't lke the way they are acting.

Cheers.

JESII

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
Unfortunately, I must have fallen completely out of touch with the golf world these last few years.

People mock their equipment decisions while I agree with each one (including the non-rollback) except the long tail of the groove rule change...should have lined them up closer in my opinion.

Outside of that, I don't love the way Mike Davis sets up courses for the US Open but wouldn't want to do it for a living myself.

If good people are leaving the USGA I'd be curious why. More importantly, I'd be curious how those departures impacted anything the USGA did afterwards.

Mike_Young

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
Jim,
We probably agree on more re the USGA than we don't but it's difficult to tell on a discussion group.

I too agree with most if not all of their rules decisions.  And I think they should control the rules of golf.  However, those same rules if one abides by them will slow down a golf course immensely.  Therefore, I just wish they would clarify that equipment companies and courses can use "enhanced equipment, balls etc" but they cannot use them in USGA competitions.  When there are "for profit" ventures out there trying to fill tee times and bring players to the game they need to take a backseat while still enforcing their rules when one participates in their activities.  JMO

Howard Riefs

Re: USGA, Fox Sports reach 12-year broadcast deal
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »
There's more to the Fox, USGA story.  

Namely, here's a lengthy tell-all from Golf Digest that posted last Friday that's certainly worth a read:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2013-11/ron-sirak-fox-and-nbc

Unless you believe in coincidences in timing, the USGA attempted to shift attention from the Golf Digest story Friday by issuing a press release touting its Executive Committee and new president, an announcement that's typically made in late October:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/9/27/rushed-friday-news-dump-usga-executive-committee-shuffle.html

Looking at the two events, Shackelford chimed in with an analysis: "...When the USGA is exposed to be chasing dollars like Gordon Ghekko or a corporation worried about the stock price, it's cause for alarm."

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/9/29/why-the-latest-usga-revelations-matter.html

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Some thoughts:

1)  If Fox picks Joe Buck--an unconscionable blowhard of Bermanian proportions--to anchor the US Open, my head will explode.  
2)  Interesting that Glen Nager is done as president right after this deal goes down.  Interests, meet Conflict.
3)  So the USGA got paid, big time.  Now what.  What does a "non-profit" do with 1 billion or so over a decade or so?  Wage war with the club/ball manufacturers?  A boy can dream, but a man is realistic.
4)  Any chance Fox just poaches all the Euro tour guys for a year while they assemble their team of golf Bradshaws and Howies?  Again, a boy can dream...
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
Some thoughts:

2)  Interesting that Glen Nager is done as president right after this deal goes down.  Interests, meet Conflict.

Tom:

For a long long time now, all USGA presidents have only served two consecutive one-year terms and now more.  Glen Nager now done (as of Feb. 2014) as president of the USGA is standard practice for these many many years.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Bill, absolutely true. And now the next seven USGA presidents (O'Toole for one year, five guys for two, and another for one) will have to live with the Fox deal and the criticism of it, unless there's an out clause after a few years. Would a club's board saddle future boards with such a long deal, even if it was a guaranteed moneymaker?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back