News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

US Women's Am on Golf Channel - CC of Charleston!
« on: August 07, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
In a year when Merion and Muirfield receive considerable televised golf, Country Club of Charleston, hosting the US Women's Am, may look the coolest of the three. On Golf Channel now. If I wasn't going to California this Saturday, I'd go down for the final match. The Lion's Mouth is the coolest golf feature I have seen on TV in years.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Howard Riefs

Re: US Women's Am on Golf Channel - CC of Charleston!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
It's a great year of courses hosting women's championships between Sebonack, The Old Course and CCC. 

Here's Ran's profile of CCC.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/country-club-of-charleston/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
Thanks for the alert, Tim.  CCoC is one of my favorite courses built on almost dead flat land, with many of the iconic Raynor land forms.  I;m glad to get to see this remodeled Lion's Mouth, since I played there a decade or more ago.  I'm waiting to see how the 11th looks on TV.  Watching in 3-D conversion to see the amazing false front slope there.

But, watching these young ladies is like root canal;  slow... painful... root canal.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
Just watched the last hour on TGC today.  Neat looking course.  The commentators actually talked about some of the architecture.  I've played Rayor's Yeamans Hall, but not CCC.  You can see some of the similarities on TV.  One difference, based on what I see at CCC and what I saw at Yeamans is that the front corners on the Yeamans greens are almost pure 90 degree corners, while the CCC front corners appear to be more rounded.  Is this a real difference, dating from the creation of both at about the same time, or something that's happened later?  And, what difference does it make?  Just askin' the Raynor experts or wannabes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
Yeaman's squared corners on some holes look very cool and out of the ordinary.  They harken back to the days that perhaps the mowing was done in a method that would produce those corners.  I don't think it does anything to alter the manner or course of play.  It is a tribute or nostalgic sort of trip almost rising to a fetish, IMHO.  But, I liked it for the uniqueness.  CCofC just oozes a certain southern charm that I found quite charming.  Even the neighborhood surrounding there seems like a great place to live.  Great town....
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
Yeaman's squared corners on some holes look very cool and out of the ordinary.  They harken back to the days that perhaps the mowing was done in a method that would produce those corners.  I don't think it does anything to alter the manner or course of play.  It is a tribute or nostalgic sort of trip almost rising to a fetish, IMHO.  But, I liked it for the uniqueness.  CCofC just oozes a certain southern charm that I found quite charming.  Even the neighborhood surrounding there seems like a great place to live.  Great town....

RJ, thanks for your observations.  The squared Yeamans green fronts did appeal - I'd never encountered that before.  I live about 4 hrs. drive from Charleston, and have visited many times, fall, winter and spring, but never in the heat of the summer.  Though I've never lived there - so can't say anything about that - it is a great place to visit.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
The square corners at the front of the greens at Yeamans Hall is not an architectural thing ... it's just a mowing presentation thing.  Up til a few years ago the corners weren't squared off, and it wasn't much different at all, play-wise, since those corners are not too close to the front hole locations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back