News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Buck

And as I just replied to John Percival, the problem is with some people trying to restore "shot values" [meaning club selection] to holes where it is really impossible to do so.

I agree that the horse is out of the barn, so to speak, on club selection, and I'm certainly not a fan of 500 yard par 4's just to force long iron approaches.  That said, there are some courses that have the space to create additional tees in a sensible manner.  

The problem is, sometimes, even at modest clubs it's done simply for the scorecard.  For example, at the older club I play, we added a back tee to make a 360 yard par 4 380, which means simply changes the type of wedge for the approach for the skilled player, and doesn't really alter difficulty.  On a short sharp dogleg it's went from 330 to 360, so instead of 4-iron and a gap wedge it's a hybrid and a gap wedge, but hey, it increases yardage.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:17:51 PM by Andrew Buck »

John Percival

It's OK for adding or building length to be the wrong move for some clubs, and the right move for others.

The point is that it's apparently been the "right" move for most every club.

You are right, it has been with most older clubs.  That said, for "most" established clubs that don't host majors, I don't think it's been done in a way that has caused them to dramatically alter the rest of the course or budget (for maintenance of and around new tees).  Major championship clubs are a different animal.
Andrew,
Welcome to the beehive! You've started the buzzin' again.

I agree with you and would like to use an example of the highest regard...Crystal Downs. Had the pleasure about 10 (or so) years ago. Among the many fine holes is the 13th, a 4 par of about 440. The dogleg right hole has the green nestled into a hollow and is framed beautifully. When Dr M designed the hole, it was likely meant as a brawny 4 par. I hit driver - 7 iron. There is ample room for a new, longer tee that would not add 1 second to others' walk, yet would restore the hole's characteristics for certain players to a drive and longish iron. Those playing the regular tees would not be impacted.

John Percival:

The funny thing is that the club DID build a far back tee on the 13th at Crystal Downs, a few years ago.  There was no discussion of it amongst the membership that I was aware of, it just appeared one spring.  I first noticed it when playing a casual round with the club professional and with Ian Baker-Finch, who came up to see the course; and I could not help but ask Fred, "Well, if we aren't playing it, who the hell is it for?"

It is there for Fred's son and his school buddies who hit it 320 yards.  But I still can't figure out why we need the tee, since none of the dues-paying members would ever play it, and the kids who do never break par, even if they do hit a wedge into #13 green at 440 yards.

What I don't understand in your rationalization is that we need to restore some par-4's to being a drive and a longish iron.  Those days are over, thanks to the manufacturers and the ruling bodies.  Trying to bring them back through architecture is a waste of time and money.
Tom,
First of all, I would NEVER expect some sort of arbitrary course work (like what was done at 13 CD) without discussion among the Golf Committee, certified architect, golf professional, course super, and, of course, the membership. As you are an architect and a member at CD, pretty much everything should be mentioned to you, if only in a casual setting. Though I encourage course 'tweaking', I do so with the greatest respect for history, the game and the members. Which brings me to the next and very important point...
...Oops! In all this discussion, few, including me, have mentioned individual club's member profiles. Obviously, those clubs who have a more senior membership wouldn't need expanded length. In fact, some of them could do with an additional set of tees SHORTER than the regulars. But that's a different conversation. However, there are substantial clubs that do have a decent % of golfers who do want/need more yardage. Give the customer what they want.
A final note: played Detroit GC on Monday and had a nice conversation with a Country Club of Detroit Green's Committee member who spoke highly of your reno. Am looking fwd to playing it soon.

Patrick_Mucci

John Percival,

No kissing up

Stay on topic !  ;D

John Percival

John Percival,

No kissing up

Stay on topic !  ;D
Patrick,
"I criticize the crap and give credit when due."
Besides, the Detroit area needs all the good PR it can get.

Doug Siebert

Tom,
How long can the new course at Dismal play from the tips? Did Chris have an idea of how long he wanted it to play?

Keith:

I think it can be stretched to 7000 yards or perhaps a bit more than that if you push the margins ... as at Ballyneal, there is so much short grass from green to tee that there is latitude on many holes to tee off from places I really didn't plan on.

But, that's 7000 yards at 3500 feet elevation, with a lot of roll in the fairways.  I think the ultimate impression will be that the course plays more like a 6500-yard course, but it may be next summer before that's apparent.

Chris was not concerned when I told him I thought it would play pretty short.  That's a much easier sell to a client when they already have one course where the back tees are too long.  The 7300-yard back tees at Bandon Dunes were what allowed me to build Pacific Dunes at 6700.

Tom,

Do you feel the Nicklaus course plays too long from the back tees?  I don't find it particularly long.  I know there have been some changes to it from the original, perhaps some of the worst excesses were fixed before I first played it?  The only hole where I feel the back tees make a truly significant difference in how difficult the hole plays is the par 3 5th.  Playing that back tee from 195 to the uphill green with the false front, big bunker in the middle and back of green that kicks away makes for a shot where luck perhaps plays too great a role versus skill in where the ball ends up, especially when the wind is blowing.  And I at least hit the ball high so the elevation matters little for me, I'm sure for some who play a low trajectory a shot that distance to that green is essentially impossible, perhaps requiring hitting a landing area the size of a welcome mat to stay on the green.

The thing about the Nicklaus course is that your success is all about keeping your tee shots in play - the many greens with partial bowls increases the margin for error significantly for approach shots, which tends to devalue them by comparison.  My odds of hitting the fairway are no different on a 440 yard par 4 and a 500 yard par 4 - in some cases they may be better if I'm staying short of some of the difficulties by playing further back.  While some holes have a reasonably large increase in distance from the tips, I'm still comfortably playing an iron into them all after a decent tee shot unless into a pretty good wind.  My measure for "are you playing the right tees" has always been the following: if you're mostly hitting wedges to the par 4s, move back; if you're unable to reach multiple greens on par 4s with an iron, move up.

Your course is much more about the approach shot, it gets more challenging as you approach the hole, especially if you try to approach it from a less than ideal direction.  On such a course, the distance of a hole matters less than one's ability to successfully pull off the shot one is attempting to play, which is probably why I generally find them more difficult :)

I was thinking about this on my drive home a few weeks ago and was considering how your course would play in reverse.  I was going to ask Chris if he's tried that yet...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tom_Doak

Tom,
How long can the new course at Dismal play from the tips? Did Chris have an idea of how long he wanted it to play?

Keith:

I think it can be stretched to 7000 yards or perhaps a bit more than that if you push the margins ... as at Ballyneal, there is so much short grass from green to tee that there is latitude on many holes to tee off from places I really didn't plan on.

But, that's 7000 yards at 3500 feet elevation, with a lot of roll in the fairways.  I think the ultimate impression will be that the course plays more like a 6500-yard course, but it may be next summer before that's apparent.

Chris was not concerned when I told him I thought it would play pretty short.  That's a much easier sell to a client when they already have one course where the back tees are too long.  The 7300-yard back tees at Bandon Dunes were what allowed me to build Pacific Dunes at 6700.

Tom,

Do you feel the Nicklaus course plays too long from the back tees?  I don't find it particularly long.  I know there have been some changes to it from the original, perhaps some of the worst excesses were fixed before I first played it?  The only hole where I feel the back tees make a truly significant difference in how difficult the hole plays is the par 3 5th.  Playing that back tee from 195 to the uphill green with the false front, big bunker in the middle and back of green that kicks away makes for a shot where luck perhaps plays too great a role versus skill in where the ball ends up, especially when the wind is blowing.  And I at least hit the ball high so the elevation matters little for me, I'm sure for some who play a low trajectory a shot that distance to that green is essentially impossible, perhaps requiring hitting a landing area the size of a welcome mat to stay on the green.

The thing about the Nicklaus course is that your success is all about keeping your tee shots in play - the many greens with partial bowls increases the margin for error significantly for approach shots, which tends to devalue them by comparison.  My odds of hitting the fairway are no different on a 440 yard par 4 and a 500 yard par 4 - in some cases they may be better if I'm staying short of some of the difficulties by playing further back.  While some holes have a reasonably large increase in distance from the tips, I'm still comfortably playing an iron into them all after a decent tee shot unless into a pretty good wind.  My measure for "are you playing the right tees" has always been the following: if you're mostly hitting wedges to the par 4s, move back; if you're unable to reach multiple greens on par 4s with an iron, move up.

Your course is much more about the approach shot, it gets more challenging as you approach the hole, especially if you try to approach it from a less than ideal direction.  On such a course, the distance of a hole matters less than one's ability to successfully pull off the shot one is attempting to play, which is probably why I generally find them more difficult :)

I was thinking about this on my drive home a few weeks ago and was considering how your course would play in reverse.  I was going to ask Chris if he's tried that yet...

Doug:

We did not think at all about playing the Red course at Dismal in reverse.  I think you'd have a lot of trouble getting started from 18 green to 17 green (or from the 1st or 2nd tee to the 18th green :)  ).

As to the Nicklaus course, it's way too hard for me to play from the back tees -- and maybe too hard for anyone but Jack, when it's windy -- but I don't think it's too long.  I was only saying that the fact Dismal had a course that catered to the "long hitter" crowd allowed me to dismiss them without worrying the client too much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back