News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Schott

Mike,

ANGC did not make my list. I'd go on a five year plan to play there. I just need a really good plan.

There's a former Secretary of State you could cosy up to that could extend an invite  ;D.

Dale_McCallon

Seminole--has nothing to do with the East Coast FL types and I really don't care about how the staff interacts with me, but everytime I see photos of the place I just ask myself "why is this so revered?"  I wonder if the exact same course opened today, was built by Rees Jones and was running a member for a day promotion if everyone would be so wowed by it.

Chicago Golf Club--I remember watching the Walker Cup there and the place did nothing for me

The Golf Club--Much like CGC, when I see photos I'm just not excited.

Mike Schott

Seminole--has nothing to do with the East Coast FL types and I really don't care about how the staff interacts with me, but everytime I see photos of the place I just ask myself "why is this so revered?"  I wonder if the exact same course opened today, was built by Rees Jones and was running a member for a day promotion if everyone would be so wowed by it.

Chicago Golf Club--I remember watching the Walker Cup there and the place did nothing for me

The Golf Club--Much like CGC, when I see photos I'm just not excited.

How many people have said the same about TOC over the years? Having a reputation as a Ross masterpiece is reason enough to grovel IMO.

Michael George

For me, this decision comes down to the type of club, rather than the golf course.  I love playing any good or well thought of golf course.  If it is overly penal/difficult, I like the challenge (even though it won't obviously be my favorite place).  If it is overly contrived, I enjoy at least seeing it and confirming my negative thoughts on this style of golf course architecture.  

However, I have zero interest in playing clubs that are overly snobby or pretentious.  To say it simply, if the club values "society" ahead of "golf", it is not for me and I won't even enjoy being on the premises.  I simply don't have time in my busy life for these places.   For instance, if the club thinks that it is doing a huge favor allowing a non-member to play it, it is usually not a place for me.  If you truly love the game of golf, you would never operate a club in this fashion.  

Unfortunately, I feel like AGNC may be in this category for me presently, as it has abandoned many of the ideals that Bobby Jones espoused.  The club simply doesn't seem to be run by true lovers of the game.  If they were, they would be more interested in adding members that love the game, instead of high society or the corporate CEO's as members.  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:29:30 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mac Plumart

For me, this decision comes down to the type of club, rather than the golf course.

This is a great point, Joey Michael.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

For me, this decision comes down to the type of club, rather than the golf course.

This is a great point, Joey Michael.

Mac,

Let's face it, some people simply do not belong.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:17:34 PM by Eric Smith »

Bart Bradley

Saying you don't care if you play Augusta is like saying you don't care if you hook up with Kate Upton. 

Bogey

Her bosom is a little too large, don't you think?

No, I don't think.

I am calling bs on this thread.  We would all go play Augusta National if given the chance.

Bart

Mac Plumart

Agreed, Bart.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JR Potts

I may love Points, but I HATE that Lego belt.

John - you know you have an open invitation.  But that's for saving me the three bills.

There isn't one course in the Country that I would lose sleep over not playing.  So, I guess I can say that "All of them" are on my list.

Doug Wright

The European Club
Old Head
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mark Bourgeois

Saying you don't care if you play Augusta is like saying you don't care if you hook up with Kate Upton. 

Bogey

No, I don't think.

I am calling bs on this thread.  We would all go play Augusta National if given the chance.

Bart

Of course we would. Hendren's analogy is very apt as I place equal odds on either scenario occurring, for me at least -- I think you've got a legit shot with Upton and you need to start writing to her now.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sven Nilsen

this is turning into a really sad thread; here's why:

i'm not a private club guy...i grew up on the pubs and munis, so all that ever mattered was the course, pure and simple. no trappings, no politics, no ancillaries.

John, you have associated ancillaries with some of your selections and that saddens me. it's the course, in the end, that should matter. if it cannot matter for you ever, it is pathetic (in the Papazian sense of the word pathos.)

this website has confirmed for me that what matters is the course and the people that put it in the ground, and the people that tend it.

Of course it is a sad thread. It is a story of lost love. Go back to the last ten played thread if that is what is what interests you. Nothing better than stories of bravado and conquest. Nothing more boring either.

Well said.  What was started as a quick survey of what types of courses this group actually plays has turned into a recurring outpouring of braggadocio and backslapping.  Shame on me for having gotten that ball rolling.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sean_A

Bogey

No, I don't think.

Bart

Yes, ANGC is probably the only course on the planet that if invited I would get on a plane when told to do so.  And I admit the exclusivity and championship history would play a part in feverishly booking the ticket.  People talk about Pebble, CPC, The National etc, but ANGC is THE PLACE that combines everything people crave in an experience.  Mind you, its easy to say I would drop life for a go because I know that invite will never happen. Hell, I can't even win the ticket lottery for the practice round!

Ciao

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rick Shefchik

Mike,

There is a huge difference between being invited to play a great course and accessing one.  I would never turn down an invite, if in the area, even at the worst course.  

Well, that simplifies things. Offhand, I can't think of a course I wouldn't play if invited. And I can't think of a course I'd ask to be invited to play.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Kavanaugh

Rick,

Have I ever told you that I love you.  I wish I could write.

David Harshbarger

Back to the question, I'm not losing sleep over ANGC either, but I do believe I'll find my way to Pine Valley someday. 

Those old PGA Championship tracks of the yesteryear?  Who cares about them or calls them great?  I don't see how Hazeltine or Medinah #3 even make the list to get cut.

The Open Rota is a mixed bag, and I certainly want to get to Deal and TOC.  My knowledge of the others is sketchy but I would avoid some of the ball busters at the rates they charge.

A not-great course I'd lose sleep over is Minchinhampton Old, which is topical with Sean Arble's interview.  My lose sleep list goes something like:

Minchinhampton Old
Durban
Neguri or El Saler
Kawana or Hirono
Any sand green course in the Midwest
Any oil green course in Australia
Paraparaumu

The rest of all the great course I know aren't likely anytime soon, if at all, so the ones I do play as opportunity arises I will cherish.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mike_Trenham

Most US Open venues and PGA Championship venues and since I have played TPC Sawgrass all the TPC courses.  I know my limitations.  Jasper Park if in the Candaian Rockies I am going for a hike not playing golf.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Patrick_Mucci

1. Merion
2. Pebble Beach
3. TPC Sawgrass
4.  LACC
5.  SFGC
6.  Old Macdonald
7.  Whistling Straits
8.  Hazeltine
9.  Medinah #3
10.Bethpage Black

This is probably one of the most ignorant, absurd threads, containing equally ignorant, absurd replies, that I've ever seen.

On what basis would you declare that you don't want to play a course that you've never seen and have no personal experience with ?

It's got to be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on GCA.com.

Now, I can see someone stating that it's too far to travel, or too expensive, but, to dismiss a course you've never seen, on it's perceived architectural merits or demerits is beyond moronic.

JakaB,

If we were at the Playboy Mansion at a party one night, and I said to you, hey, a friend of mine's a member of LACC, let's play it tomorrow, please don't sit here and tell me that you wouldn't jump at the chance.

If you said "no",  I'd have you thrown out of the party  ;D

Ronald Montesano

jump at the chance.

Jump at the chance? Just jump the fence!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim_Weiman

Pat Mucci,

Believe it or not, I have been to the Playboy mansion and wound up with a date with a very attractive young lady.

But, no invitation to LACC despite the fact that it turned out this lady was actually a pretty good golfer!
Tim Weiman

Doug Siebert

I look at it as: what courses that if I never play, and I'm on my deathbed and a friend tells me "you never played XXX, I could have gotten you on that course you know" I am not going to think to myself "damn, I wish I had known that!"

In the unlikely event someone from GCA contacted me for a round on ANGC, of course I'm not going to turn it down.  But let's be honest, for most of us it would be more for the overall experience and/or notching that Top 100 course belt and/or bragging rights to friends than because we truly have always wanted to play the course.  It's not something I'd go out of my way to try to make it happen - i.e. trying to get on someone's good side if I found out they had connections or whatever.  Don't laugh, I'll bet people who have an in at ANGC have a lot of people sucking up to them for this very reason.

It comes down to the fact that if I was dying and found out someone I knew could have got me a round there I wouldn't really care that I'd missed the chance.  I'd be more upset if I found out I could have got on Pine Valley or Cypress Point but I never got the chance.

BTW, comparing ANGC to Kate Upton is laughable.  ANGC is more like Donatella Versace at this point.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Lloyd_Cole

There are just too many great courses. I no longer care that I have not or almost certainly will not play all or even most of them. I've experienced golf at its best at Dornoch and RCD, Royal Melbourne and Barnbougle. I'd love to play National, Shinnecock, Augusta, etc, but I'm fine if I don't. I'll be at Ganton in August. I'm doing fine.

Patrick_Mucci

Doug,

You couldn't be more wrong.

ANGC remains a spectacular golf course.

Tim,

So, you engaged in night putting........ with the Dean's daughter.

JakaB,

LACC North, is a fabulous golf course, one you'd enjoy with repeat play.

cary lichtenstein

Silly thread you can only want to not play a course a 2nd time if you didn't like it the first time. You can't not want to play it a first time cuz you don't know didly.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Mollica

I did not include any overseas courses because if I had ever wanted to play there I would have already been.  The idea today of visiting fantastic cultures full of wonderful people that I have never experienced with my stupid golf clubs in tow turns my stomach.  I'm sure I'll play in Australia when I visit my daughter but that is more just part of the social mores of the people in her life.  Not to mention they just may be the greatest courses in the world.

If you come all the way down here and I don't get to share some time with you John, I'm not sure I'll recover. I expect a heads-up long before you arrive in Australia- golf or no golf!

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back