News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brandon Urban

Dismal River Red - the small things
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
Sorry for the separate thread, but I thought John's post had some specific points that were worth talking about.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56174.0.html

I had the amazing opportunity to play the Red course two weekends ago for the 5th Major. I was also lucky enough to get to spend an entire day playing it on July, 1st, during my Hundred Hole Hike. I had seen the course under construction and was amazed at the difference a year makes in the evolution of a golf course.

First of all, it is one of my favorite courses I have played. The routing is fantastic. The Front 8 feels like a nice stroll even though you are on some pretty rugged property. I haven't played a ton of great golf courses, but to me the way a good chunk of the Red is routed on top of the dunes is genius and not something I have seen a lot of. This is where the small things come into play, at least for me. I loved the way the course felt "connected" in more ways than one. It, of course, feels connected to the property. It just fits. But better for me was the way the holes were connected. This is a hard one for me to explain, but I'll try. There is short grass everywhere. Big swaths, small paths, joined fairways, loops... no matter where you go, you feel like you are a part of the rest of the course. Rarely do you feel isolated down in a valley between dunes. There is a short grass area near 5 or 6 where a yucca plant was left to grow right in the middle of it. Most places would've torn it out, planted short grass and kept going. Instead, Dismal left it and for me it was a great "feature". Again, it was the small things. I know these aren't small things to the architect or the owners, but I often get so caught up with greens and fairways and routings that I miss this stuff. I did not at Dismal red.

I won't do a full photo tour, but I wanted to include a few pictures from the weekend.

#1 is a great handshake opener with a wide fairway and a great center line bunker to make you give thought to your second shot.

#3 with the giant bunker to the right. I wasn't in it at all, but after looking down there I am pretty sure it is not alot of fun.

#4 has some great deceptive bunkering off of the tee. To me, everything seemed to blend together and made it difficult to pick a line.

Flair one to the right, where there is plenty of room and you will be left with this shot from about 150.

#5 is my favorite par 3. So many options off of the tee. Do you try to carry the dune on the right and flirt with disaster or hit some kind of cut in from the left. So much room to miss and one of those "heroic" shots that I love.

#6 really grew on me after repeated plays. I don't think I really "got" this hole at first, but after seeing it at least 10 times, I really began to appreciate the strategy. Playing it at 326 yards gave plenty of options. Hit something short left in the fairway and avoid the small front bunker on your approach. Hit something out to the right and have to deal with that front bunker. Or just try to bomb one somewhere up near the green.

The approach to #13 was one of my favorites. I cannot wait to play this shot when the fairways are running.

The par 3 16th is really special. Trouble lurking everywhere and one of the most unique greens on the course with a fantastic backdrop.

#18 is a fantastic golf hole with one of the neatest features I have seen on a course. The area short of the green is full of trouble, but also plenty of options to recover. In one of our matches, there were three balls down there and three different shots were played to get the ball onto the green.

And finally, my favorite photo from the week. Looking down on 18 from near #10 green.

181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Greg Krueger

Re: Dismal River Red - the small things
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
Thanks for the awesome photos Brandon! (Feel free to post more :D) Looking forward to the 2014 5th Major.

Matt Glore

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
Wow thanks for the short write up and the pictures.  I'll be there Saturday-Monday.
Hopefully I can get in 18 holes on the red.   
Was the grass growth slowing the ball down?  It looks very green. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
Brandon,

How did you play the eighth after repeated plays?  Did you ever reach the green in two?  I found the lay up to be one of the more difficult shots on the course and have resigned myself to staying far short of the green.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Brandon...

First off, congrats!  Congrats on winning the Taddy Porter flight (that was our flight for 5th Major, right?) and congrats on walking 120 holes for charity!!

Secondly, you are 100% correct!!!  The Red course is great, fun, and interesting in the grand scheme.  BUT, I think the small things go a long way to clinching the deal.  To list all the small things that were done right would be too much, but listing a few to illustrate a point makes some sense.

In addition to your points, and maybe bolstering some of them...I appreciate,

-the use of pre-existing back ground features to highlight holes and give context clues on where to play blind shots (blow out bunkers off in the distance, Buffalo Trails, etc).

-mowing lines which accomodate playing in windy conditions and avoid overly long ball searches for mildly poor shots

-rewards for being in the right place regarding approachability of greens (and vice-versa).

Tom Doak, and team, great work!

Thanks!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
Brandon:  120 holes on the Red?  I'm officially jealous.

How was the walk?  I hope to God you had somebody to shuttle you from 18 green back to 1 tee.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »
Brandon,

How did you play the eighth after repeated plays?  Did you ever reach the green in two?  I found the lay up to be one of the more difficult shots on the course and have resigned myself to staying far short of the green.

John,

I think I played it from this spot at least six or seven times... about 230 yards out.

I would agree with you that it is the most difficult second shot of any of the par 5s, although I don't think #10 is far behind. I usually attempted to blast a hybrid down there somewhere left of the green but most times ended up pushing it into the bunkers or, worse, the top of the dune short and right. I reached the green in two once, but I was all the way at the back of the green leaving a LONG putt. I think the best way to get to the green would be to hit a low runner with a 3 or 4 iron from left to right that feeds along the big sloping area of short grass to the left of the green. When the turf is running fast, I would imaging that will be the ideal play and balls will trickle on from there.

Wow thanks for the short write up and the pictures.  I'll be there Saturday-Monday.
Hopefully I can get in 18 holes on the red.   
Was the grass growth slowing the ball down?  It looks very green. 

Matt,
Some of the pics may show a little greener than others. A few were taken with my phone which seems to filter a little differently than my point and shoot. It is a little slow right now, but that does not hurt the fun factor at all.

Brandon:  120 holes on the Red?  I'm officially jealous.

How was the walk?  I hope to God you had somebody to shuttle you from 18 green back to 1 tee.

Tom,

The walk was amazing. It is one of the more special days I have had on a golf course. It is just the perfect setting with Big and Little Horeshoe always looming in the distance or right above you. The hill on 10 is a beast, but that is the only place that I would say anything about the walk. We did have carts to get us back to the first tee. I would not want to do that walk after about 90 holes.

By the way, we were trying to get back to the first tee before nightfall so we played the 4th from #3 tee so we could get to #8 quicker. It is a blast from there and makes for a damn fun tee shot.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Scott Szabo

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the photos and commentary.  There's nothing like the sand hills of Nebraska.  Hope to get out that way sometime soon.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »
Brandon - I admire you for getting from the 10th tee to the 10th fairway that many times.  That's one challenging walk right now (I know it'll improve given time!)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
Brandon - I admire you for getting from the 10th tee to the 10th fairway that many times.  That's one challenging walk right now (I know it'll improve given time!)

Chris recently came to an agreement with a bridge builder to alleviate this issue. It should be as beautiful as functional.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
Is it possible to lose a ball in the stuff short of 18 green?  Chris J took us for a tour back when the course was beginning construction, and it looked like a poorly struck ball could be in serious trouble.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
Brad...

Anything is possible in golf.  But I don't have anxiety that I'll hit it in that junk when coming down 18.  Lots of room to avoid that stuff.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
Is it possible to lose a ball in the stuff short of 18 green?  Chris J took us for a tour back when the course was beginning construction, and it looked like a poorly struck ball could be in serious trouble.

A poorly struck tee shot is more at risk. Of the 58 holes my partner and I played in the 5th Major the 18th on the Red is the only hole where we both lost our drives. You just got to stay left no matter how tempting the right side may be.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
The other nice thing about the approach to 18 is that there is tons of room to bail left if you don't want to take that stuff head on. Also, there is room between the gunch and the green. It doesn't butt right up to it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »

Chris recently came to an agreement with a bridge builder to alleviate this issue. It should be as beautiful as functional.

I'm trying to recall....how visible will that be from the proposed site for Tom's Diner?  That would really be awesome to not only have the expansive view of the river half of the course with the bluff behind it, but the bridge coming off 10th tee.  I can already see myself driving down there after my matches are done in next year's 5th Major - even if I finished on the White - just to hang out for a few drinks and take in the view!

Hell, we might have to see if Chris can find a place to put in a few parking spaces along the road somewhere hidden so I can stop there on my way in and back home since its on the way :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back