News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

PGA Tour round times (While we're young)
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
Did Johnson Wagner and Jimmy Walker just finish their round in 3:45 minutes?

I think they did.  If so, great job!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

Re: PGA Tour round times (While we're young)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
3:45 is news?  Jesus.  Colton and I played The Old Course at St. Andrews in two hours and ten minutes ... in a four-ball.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
Congrats, Tom!

8)

Regardless, a sub-4 hour round on Tour seems to a positive development.  No?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Pat Burke

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
Being the last group, pretty good that they finished in that time.

Mark Calc and I played the last round at Tuckaway (Milwaukee)
in my rookie year.
Both shot 67 in under 2:20

Actually had an official come up to us, thinking we were speed golfing, and not trying ::)

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:30:33 AM »
Did Johnson Wagner and Jimmy Walker just finish their round in 3:45 minutes?

I think they did.  If so, great job!

Funny what happens when you have a personal incentive.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
3:45 is news?  Jesus.  Colton and I played The Old Course at St. Andrews in two hours and ten minutes ... in a four-ball.

One can only play at the pace of those in front.

I'm pretty sure Wagner and Walker didn't play through anybody as you did at TOC.

3:45 isn't impressive at all for a twosome, but 3:45 in, contention, with a gallery, with players in front (in contention) is quite impressive--
for AN ENTIRE FIELD

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »
I didn't realize they were the last group ... I don't watch the Tour much.  3:45 for the last group in the field is pretty good.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »
I still have a lasting impression of Paula Creamer talking ad nauseum with her caddie, backing off twice, switching clubs....
they cut away to commercial and , you guessed it.....it's Paula Creamer's "While we're young" add
They come back.... she still hasn't hit --------she steps up and the announcer comments how quick she is over the ball ;D
She was 10 shots back at the time with maybe 10 to play

You could knock an hour off an LPGA round if you banned caddies
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:50:32 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
I didn't realize they were the last group ... I don't watch the Tour much.  3:45 for the last group in the field is pretty good.

There was a weather delay.  If they had taken longer to complete their round they would have to come back the next day.

Some things are worth playing quickly for, I guess...
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
Maybe that is the key to speeding up the tour. Start them at 4pm then they face the challenge of getting up and playing holes in the morning if they don't finish.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Jeff - that particular shot by Creamer got some discussion in one of the Sebonack threads. Also, on Friday Stacy Lewis took so long I actually backed up the dvr and timed it. Par five 15th hole, third shot from 86 yards. She took 90 seconds of discussion with her caddy, and then changed clubs, and ended up taking over 2 minutes for an 86 yard shot. A friend of mine had an interesting question - why have caddies? Carry your own bag, make up your own mind! Not going to happen, but I do like your idea of banning caddies.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Since the PGA is all about charity, make a rule that if the final group doesn't finiish in a set time, the purse is cut 25 percent, with that money going to charity, donated by the tournament, not the players. 3:45 is good for tour play, even if it was a twoball..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:51:13 PM by Pete_Pittock »

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:47 AM »
IBF noted in the commentary that the speed of play was assisted by having the greens less quick than normal, due to the rain.  They might have been 11 feet, according to IBF.  However, part of the quicker play was through the rain slowing the greens a tad.

Still a good outcome though - 3:45 for a two ball.  I will have my 3-ball round this weekend on a 6700 yard course in a little under 3:30  :) .
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »
   If Mr. Finchem would let his field staff do their job ------------------------------------------------------!!!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back