News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Architectural Masochism: The Tough Shots You Crave
« on: July 29, 2003, 09:24:26 PM »
Much has been made of Tommy's deliberate aiming for the bunker at Pine Valley 10.

But playing at Yale recently it occurred to me that there are certain shots that I crave simply for the experience, no matter how difficult.

The example I'm thinking of was on the 9th hole at Yale. When it was clear that I was not going to jar my tee shot, I hoped I would have the opportunity to make the thrilling putt across the Biarritz chasm (which has no peer among other Biarritzes).

Tommy's DA quest is, I suspect, similar.

Others I might include:

1) hoping for the ball to go into the Road Hole bunker.
2) a short drive on Merion 18, in order to try and replicate Hogan's approach.

Its no secret that these situations are inextricably tethered to the notion of "short game interest."

What are the difficult shots you crave, knowing that big numbers are more than likely to follow?

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Architectural Masochism: The Tough Shots You Crave
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 11:21:54 PM »
SPDB,

I'd consider:
trying to drive # 1 at NGLA
Trying to drive # 2 at NGLA knowing the pin is far back left.
Trying to hit # 18 in two at NGLA
Trying to hit the far left front pin on # 4 at NGLA
Trying to hit the far right pin on # 8 at NGLA
Trying to hit the pin behind the ridge at # 12 at NGLA
Tryiing to hit the pin on the rear plateaus at # 15 at NGLA
Trying to drive close to the green at # 14 at NGLA
Trying to hit the left plateau on # 11 downwind.

I'll expand my thinking tomorrow.

corey miller

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 11:35:54 PM »
Perhaps that is why National is so great.  Pat lists nine different masochism shots on a course that many think is "easy"

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 10:02:43 AM »
I've mentioned this before, but I drove it Tommy-like into the left greenside bunker on #6 Pacific Dunes for the pleasure  ;)
of attempting the recovery. It took a while...

Another one, tough but beautiful--the 2d shot at #8 Pebble Beach.

I've not played it  :(, but I suspect #16 at Cypress Point might make the list....

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

tonyt

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 10:12:02 AM »
When I eventually get over there, I'll play out of the road bunker if I have to putt back into it.

And NOT that I'll ever get there, but I'd go for the hard right hole location at ANGC #12.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 10:21:42 AM »
In or oder of preference:

1). The long uphill par-3 (very rare bird these days!)

2). The double tier green with the first putt just having to make it to the end of the first tier and then slide gently to the hole. Sometimes you don't give enough and you get stuck with the same putt TWICE.

3). The long bunker shot over another bunker to a tightly guarded pin. I can remember yanking a 1-iron to the left of the 10th green at Merion / East and having to play this shot.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 10:23:46 AM »
Probably because I just got done playing it four times, but I am sort of enamored with the 4th at the Quarry - a 271 par three with a tiny green, open in front but bunkered everywhere else.  Hitting a driver/wood on a long par 3 is something we have generally gotten away from as too tough for the average player, but perhaps because its unique, it sure was fun.  

That was a hole that everyone played from the tips, even when they played the other holes at the Quarry farther forward, just to experience that shot....

I also like the other extreme, the partial wedge drop shot (think PB 7) where precision clubbing is so difficult....especially if the green is elevated and surrounded by bunkers or a fairway cut that will take your ball down a slope 10 yards or more....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 11:03:33 AM »
A shot at MPCC's  par 3 14th hole from the back tee, with a strong off shore wind that requires a 177 yard shot, that plays much longer, to a green as keen as something you will find at Kilspindie.

For those Rees Jones knockers, come and play this hole and show me a better par three built in the past twenty years.

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 11:09:02 AM »
Concur with Mr. Huntley re #14 MPCC.

Funny how we always do go back to that tee though... I can't imagine NOT doing so.... ;)

TH

ps - funny thing re the bunkers at TOC - the Road bunker is actually somewhat benign compared to some others.  You REALLY want to experience all that TOC has to offer?  Hit it in the Strath on #11.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 11:10:22 AM by Tom Huckaby »

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 12:06:37 PM »
Two that come to mind immediately are:

Trying to get it up and down from the bunker right of #17 at Oakmont after hitting driver into it.

Trying to get it up and down from the hollow to the left of #18 at Pumpkin Ridge, Witch Hollow.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 04:40:17 PM »
The tee shot on the fourth hole at Rye ... a virtual tightrope ... or to the par-3 fifth or seventh.  And it's even more masochistic to play the second shots of any of the above if your first shot isn't really good!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 05:14:05 PM »
I played in an alternate shot event at Merion and my partner put me six feet from Hogan's plaque and I hit a 3iron to 10 feet. And the bunker at #10 at PV is next to impossible to get out of. I tried for kicks and never got out.
Mr Hurricane

Texas_Three_Putt

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 05:48:34 PM »
#18 at English Turn from the tips.

#18 at Half Moon Bay from the right side, hitting a draw to a back right pen placement.

#16 at Pasatiempo putting from the top to the bottom. It's just plain fun trying.

James Edwards

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 06:12:52 PM »
The Church Pews of course is a major one with Palmer and co.  (and where our host for the day proposed to his new wife-whilst trying to convince her that she should have a nice walk at the golfclub to get some fresh air??)

..and the Corey Pavin 2nd shot @18 shinny was a must.
@EDI__ADI

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2003, 06:19:44 PM »
I always want to try a screamingly fast putt from the back of a green to a shelf or false front, after one of my playing companions has already had the putt. If there's no one pushing the group, I think many of us like to do that (of course, if you hit a great putt after your partner has putted it off the green, you risk looking like a smug show-off. These things have to be done delicately.)

With that in mind, putting from almost anywhere on #8 at Pasatiempo is really fun and really scary. It's just a lot more fun if you're doing it after you've actually played the hole.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back