News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: UK Month Long Trip
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
The one I pass on the way home from work every day has a sign titling it "lavanderķa"...

Joe_Tucholski

Re: UK Month Long Trip New
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Starting to plan for a 2014 summer/fall golf trip and went back to look at this thread.  I realized there are some questions I didn't answer and I never posted photos.  I didn't take all that many photos on the trip but figured I could post a few.

Joe: which 5 courses do you wish you hadn't bothered organsing and which are your top 5 courses from the trip.

I don't regret playing any of the courses I played, that being said I probably won't play the following courses on a return trip:
Machynys Peninsula Golf Club - If I wanted to play a Nicklaus faux links course I'll do it in the US.  I do regret I didn't listen to the advice of my Pennard playing companion to play Ashburnham.
Murcar Links - Unless they restore the width.
Nairn Dunbar Golf Club - Nothing wrong with the place just other places I'd rather play.
Strathtrynum - Why play here when you have other options that are far superior
The International - An expensive version of an American CFAD

What was your total miles driven, Joe? Looks like it had to be well over 1,000 maybe even 1,500.
It was nearly 1800 miles in the UK and about 800 km in the Netherlands.

Joe,

When you want a further break from unpacking boxes perhaps you could let us know which courses you enjoyed playing the most and which you think are the best tests of golf.

Royal Dornoch was my favorite course and I also really enjoyed Royal Hague and De Pan.  That being said those are easy answers.  The courses I was most surprised with and really enjoyed playing were Pennard, Borth, Fraserburgh, Golspie (really any of the Braid Courses).  The reason I say those courses is I felt like what the members valued are the same things I value.  At each of these courses I could feel the members and staff all loved their course, loved golf and wanted to share their passion. 

As far as the best tests of golf I associate that with challenging.  Murcar was clearly the most challenging.    If you missed the fairways you were dead.  If you missed the greens you were in trouble.  The course that offered the most challenge while still playable I thought was Dornoch.  I'm glad the most prolific course designer in the US was from Dornoch.

The rolling firm ground at Pennard was a great intro to golf in the UK.

A rough weather day at Aberdovey

A view down over Royal St. Davids from close to where we stayed the night.

Mackenzies Cavendish.  One of three inland courses I played on the trip.

Stonehaven was probably the most unique course I played.

My wife's favorite walk was at Fraserburgh

Does it get any better than Dornoch...

For me it doesn't get any better than Dornoch...my favorite course

I really loved the texture and colors at the Castle Course.  I thought it was a pretty good course that played easier than it looks.

TOC seems like it should be so easy...if you can avoid the bunkers.

Where else would this be acceptable.

*edited because images were lost...not sure if these were the original images.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:41:35 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Joe,

That's a fabulous collection of courses you played and absolutely terrific photos you've posted. You'll have some great memories I'm sure and the photos will act prompters for ever.

Your comments about Murcar are very interesting. I have a close friend who has been a member there for many years and he told me that last years summer season, 2013, was the hardest he had ever known the course to play. Brutal, brutal rough. No comments from him this year yet, to early to say yet I guess. I reckon Fraserburgh will be getting a few more visitors from now on given the nice words mentioned herein over the last year or so. Golspie is lovely and I reckon Dornoch is many peoples favourite course.

Thanks for posting.

Where are you planning for 2014 summer/autumn?

atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
Interesting comments about Murcar, and disappointing.
Wasn't last summer really dry??
Murcar was one of my favorite courses when I visited there, and that wasn't my experience at all-in fact the lack of deep rough I felt was made it more interesting and playable than its famous neighbor

I enjoyed Ashburnham on my visit there, though they have their share of nasty rough as well.
Machynys? how did that happen?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
So am I to understand you played three courses in England: Cavendidh, Reddish Vale and Kington?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Joe and all -

You may be interested to know the two pine trees behind the 10th green at Dornoch, as seen in your picture, have recently been cut down. They were the only tress on the course.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back