News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Are there Quarry holes that aren't cool golf?
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
I can't think of a single one I've played.

Are Quarry and quirk linked in the lexicon?

www.littlediamondclub.com

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil McDade

Re: Are there Quarry holes that aren't cool golf?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
Adam:

The best hole by far at the "other" Lawsonia course is a quarry hole:

http://www.lawsonia.com/about/woodlands/

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
The quarry holes at Black Diamond Ranch were not all that great in my opinion.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
Painswick!

I didn't play Brooksville CC a few years ago pre-Dixie Cup, but the guys who played said the back nine quarry holes were by far the best on the course. 

16-18 at Merion look okay.   ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Here's a couple of examples of nice quarry holes from the England -

2nd hole, short par-3, at Long Ashton GC, Bristol. Nice course actually. Worth playing if you're in the area. Lovely turf. Firm, fast greens.

http://www.longashtongolfclub.co.uk/hole.php?hole=2

Also,the par-4 16th at Bristol and Clifton GC. Another nice course, located only a mile or so from Long Ashton, and also well worth playing if you're in the area.

http://www.bristolandcliftongolfclub.co.uk/hole.php?hole=16

All the best

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »

They were the best thing on that course. And I agree they weren't the best examples of great quarry holes. I don't know if I've seen quirkier, or awkward, Fazio holes. Maybe the Preserves comes close, but in a different way.

The hole Phil references is the 2nd on what use to be known as the south nine. I believe it's now the 2nd on Woodlands. A short tree lined hole with a "Y" shaped fairway, giving the player the option of which angle to attack. Over the quarry being the easier, due to a large tree that blocked the approach from the left fork of the Y. But certainly something you have to figure out both line a distance

Thanks for sharing, Thomas.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »
If one considers all of Chambers Bay in an old quarry, which is true, then any holes at Chambers Bay that aren't cool qualify.  The 8th and 9th aren't very cool.

Although I haven't played it, the CC of Buffalo has cool looking quarry holes.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
Played Black Diamond several times back when I knew squat about architecture (as if I know anything now!) but I kind of like them, saved for 16, the long par 4. Diagonal fairway, quarry left, thin strip of fairway and OB right. Not enough land for a golf hole, in my opinion.I said a prayer every time. i teed off there

They were the best thing on that course. And I agree they weren't the best examples of great quarry holes. I don't know if I've seen quirkier, or awkward, Fazio holes. Maybe the Preserves comes close, but in a different way.

The hole Phil references is the 2nd on what use to be known as the south nine. I believe it's now the 2nd on Woodlands. A short tree lined hole with a "Y" shaped fairway, giving the player the option of which angle to attack. Over the quarry being the easier, due to a large tree that blocked the approach from the left fork of the Y. But certainly something you have to figure out both line a distance

Thanks for sharing, Thomas.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »
John, CB would be a quarry course, with no quarry holes.  ;D

Even Bobby Weeds holes down at Brooksville are pretty cool.

Mike Schott

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
Can anyone comment on the quarry holes on the Quarry 9 at Bay Harbor in Michigan? I haven't played them since the course first opened and have no recollection.

noonan

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
12 at Shaker Run in Middletown, OH is an awesome quarry style hole.

You always look forward to playing the 12th!

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
It has been a while, but I remember some of the quarry holes at Granite Links (Milton, MA) as being unspectacular.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 05:26:16 AM »
Well, what does this prove? 

That quarry holes are just like oceanfront holes, we tend to overrate them because of a cool feature that may or may not have much to do with the strategy of the hole?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:15 AM »
Tom sort of beat me to it.
Why are quarry based holes interesting? - is it because their features are like the inland versions of cliff edges and ocean views?

But unlike "lake" type features, to generalise, quarries are abrupt, perhaps with individual or unique character, perhaps unnatural, "small", and with or without water - I assume are easier to route holes over and around because of the scale to build strategic or penal type holes? More interesting than trees? :)

I may well know nothing about it, but thanks Adam for an interesting topic, as usual.
@theflatsticker

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:29 AM »
Love them.  Here's the quarry hole at my club - obviously inspired by Merion East #16:

Courtesy of the Bausch Collection

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Nowadays we take for granted that features like quarries can make for some interesting golf holes, but I am not sure this was always so obvious.  For example, when C.B. Macdonald first examined Merion's property in June of 1910, he recognized the potential value of utilizing the quarry to create first class golf holes, noting, "The quarry and the brooks can be made much of."  But some at Merion apparently didn't see it that way. From the April 1917 American Golfer:

PRESIDENT ROBERT W. LESLEY of the Golf Association of Philadelphia, relates with great glee this incident of the days when the new Merion course was being considered. Certainly the outstanding feature of the east course of Merion is the old quarry hole, which figures in the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth holes. When the present site was selected there was some little opposition to it and one of those who did not favor the property hung his opposition on the quarry hole.

"It is preposterous," he argued. "Why it will cost Thirty Thousand Dollars to fill up that hole!"

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:41:07 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
Kinderlou Forest in GA (site of a web.com event each year) has a par 5 around a quarry that is excellent.  Really, the whole course at Tobacco Rd. is a quarry, at least of a sort, as was The Pit when it was open.

In my limited experience with quarry holes, they've all been cool golf; lots of options and choices.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »
I believe the that quarry holes allow for additional variety, and character in the site.  One thing about Merion is she has variety in abundance. Climaxing with the quarry accentuates that.

It's still true that how the designer utilizes that character is the difference between great use and just Ok.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back