News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

2013 British Amateur at Deal
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:54:53 PM »
Yes I know there is a little tournament going on in Ardmore, PA at the moment but I've been waiting years for this event at Deal because it means a bigger event to come at a later date.  Of course I am a Deal homer..

I doubt we will get much of it on TV but I wish I could be there.

Chappers, can you update how the course if playing-- How is the rough with the horrid spring you had.. Especially on the left side of 9, 12, 18..???

If anyone else has been there I'd be keen to know how it is shaping up..

Bill_McBride

Re: 2013 British Amateur at Deal
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
And is the wind up?   ;D

David_Tepper

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
So is this Pan chap catching a red eye from Philly to make his Monday tee time?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »
Noel the course is in very fine shape, low down areas have some brutal rough but with thought its avoidable. The greens were at 10.7 yesterday and putting very nicely. It's been breezy all week and I've been out everyday since Wednesday with early arrivals. Saturday was exceptionally tough prevailing wind blowing a steady 30mph with gusts to 50mph. Tomorrow it is due to drop and come off the sea so all the practise will be for nothing!!
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
1st round qualifying scoreboard:

http://championships.randa.org/en/AmateurChampionships/AmateurChampionship/Home/DrawScoreResult.aspx

Of the dozen lowest scores posted so far, 2 guys are from Denmark, 1 is from Norway and 1 is from Italy.

Just outside the top dozen are players from Sweden, France, Spain, Denmark, Iceland(!) and Poland(!!!).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:54:09 PM by David_Tepper »

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
1st round qualifying scoreboard:

http://championships.randa.org/en/AmateurChampionships/AmateurChampionship/Home/DrawScoreResult.aspx

Of the dozen lowest scores posted so far, 2 guys are from Denmark, 1 is from Norway and 1 is from Italy.

Just outside the top dozen are players from Sweden, France, Spain, Denmark, Iceland(!) and Poland(!!!).

Mark Chaplin's loop,my friend's son,shoots 75 at RCP.

Assuming similar weather tomorrow,what makes match play--150?151?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »

Ciao

Did he and the others make it?

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

Ciao

Did he and the others make it?

Looks like none of the top players that were in the open field made the trip over.  They probably planned to play if they failed to get through sectionals.  Once they knew they were on their way to Merion, I imagine they withdrew.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
What configuration are they using at Prince's? Looking at the scorecard,  I don't see any of the standard nine-hole loops in operation.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
What configuration are they using at Prince's? Looking at the scorecard,  I don't see any of the standard nine-hole loops in operation.

The 1932 configuration when Saraceni won?   

That would be pretty cool!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
From the R&A website:  Full details including the championship draw can be found at RandA.org and television highlights will be broadcast on Thursday through Saturday, 20 to 22 June 2013 on Sky Sports.

Is there any way to get Sky Sports in The States or online?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »
I didn't see Guan Tianlang name?   Is he playing or waiting for another PGA invite?  Probably doesn't want to piss around with these amateurs. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:33:59 AM »

Scott according to the progrma it's Shore Dunes 7228 yards par 72.

Deal is playing 7016 yards par 71.
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
The scores are coming in a lot lower today.

Looks like it will take at least 147 to make the matchplay play. It also looks like the co-medalist is from Poland!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:31:32 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
Looks like over 30 of the 72 players at low 64 and ties were from outside GB&I. Included were guys from Poland, Iceland, Finland, Slovenia, Switzerland, Norway and Austria, in addition to guys from Italy, Sweden, France, Denmark and Spain.

The world of golf is indeed getting flatter. Just wait till the Chinese start showing up! ;)  

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »
Scott - Shore and Dunes its a pretty strong course.

Bill - only one hole still exists from the Sarazen course.

David - we played with Tom Hume from Ireland, he was the only member of the Irish set up to qualify. Sound player.

Jeff - it was always looking 147 to get in, today was calm and scoring easy. Hunter stiffs it on 1, fails to birdie the par 5 2nd. Wevet to the turn in level so are still +4 and playing well. He holes a good birdie putt on the par 3 11th. Fails to birdie the par 5 12th, bogey the treacherous 14th to go back to +4. I know we are on the mark but it never comes up in conversation. On the par 5 15th Hunter hits 8 iron second and hard a tough 20yd putt, to 18", finally a birdie on a par 5....or so I thought, he misses it so we stay at 4. 17 is a tough 3 and we bogey, make a great up and down on 18 but know +5 is never going to make it. Pleasure to carry for such a nice lad and tidy player.
Cave Nil Vino

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
The German contingent stank out the joint, but some of our best amateurs are in the field of the BMW International Open in Munich on the European Tour, which is also this week. This includes Dominic Foos, our own 15 year old wunderkind with the best German handicap ever. He won the German matchplay championship (Men, not boys) last year in Frankfurt at age 14 and the French Boys this year. Got his handicap to +6.4 recently by shooting 62 in the final round of the German Boys, which he also won.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:50:22 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
SIX Aussies into the matchplay, including Jordan Zunic from my club, Bonnie Doon.

C'mon Aussie!

Jim Nelson

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
Help me on the format guys.  A local kid from Las Vegas, AJ Mcinenery, tied for 53rd but I don't see that he made the cut of 64.  However, there are 8 matches which have no opponent based on the R&A site.  So what's going on?  Did they have a playoff with all those tied at 53rd?  Do those guys play the guys without listed opponents?  The matches for all the others have started.  Btw, played RCP last month.  Great course.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

JESII

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
Haven't seen the bracket Jim, but the British Am does not have a playoff. The first round is essentially a play in round. If there are 70 total players at the cut number, there are 6 first round matches among the bottom 12 players. The other 58 all move in to the second round.

Can't see why Mcinernery wouldn't be in there.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
Thanks.  Figured it out.  There is a round of 16, so it looks like the winners of that play in round will meet the 8 players in the round of 64 who are not playing this am.  Looks like a long day.  Btw, AJ is all square after 12.  Good player who has caddied for me.  Plays for UNLV.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

JESII

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
Glad to see some good US players over there. Hope he continues to do well.

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »

Jeff - it was always looking 147 to get in, today was calm and scoring easy. Hunter stiffs it on 1, fails to birdie the par 5 2nd. Wevet to the turn in level so are still +4 and playing well. He holes a good birdie putt on the par 3 11th. Fails to birdie the par 5 12th, bogey the treacherous 14th to go back to +4. I know we are on the mark but it never comes up in conversation. On the par 5 15th Hunter hits 8 iron second and hard a tough 20yd putt, to 18", finally a birdie on a par 5....or so I thought, he misses it so we stay at 4. 17 is a tough 3 and we bogey, make a great up and down on 18 but know +5 is never going to make it. Pleasure to carry for such a nice lad and tidy player.

I was getting the play-by-play from Alan via text message.15 was a killer.

As I said,you've now got a fan club in Memphis.Hopefully,you'll get the chance to visit and let us try to repay your over-the-top generosity.I could even set up a dinner with Elvis--he's not really dead,you know.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Jeff I hadn't realised you were getting updates. I must say I was gutted for Hunter, he is a great lad and fine player. Never again will I say "there's a bunker at 330 better play 3 wood" or lets hit 3 iron, 5 wood to a 570 yard hole!

Jim - AJ got through to round 3 but should be at the airport, we watched the end of his match against Clement Sordet, I'd set Clement up with a practise round so we were routing for him. Clem was 1 up on 18 but carves it right into the hay. AJ is left just in a thick patch, his play is a 100yd hack to leave a short pitch. Instead he goes with a mid iron and hits it 6' still in the rough. He hits a good iron into the middle of the green. Sadly
Clem has a young lad carrying his bag rather than a wise head. The members want him to hack sideways to leave 150 yards to a tight left pin. Instead he goes forwards, carries the dyke but goes in the left rough, short sided he takes 7.

Down 19 both hit within 10' Clement misses and AJ holes from 5'.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back