News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Federman

Apparently DJ and Phil are good friends and when it became an issue as to whether Phil's group would finish 17 in time to tee-off on 18 before the darkness horn sounded, DJ agreed to allow Keegan Bradley to hit into his group to insure that Phil's group would be able to finish rather than come back at 7:15 a.m. to finish.

Commentators focused on the "sportsmanship" of it, but no one talked about whether that was within the spirit of the rules; it was suggested that letting Phil's group play into them was obviously to Phil and his group's advantage. As it turned out it made no difference, as they would have been able to finish. The following group (Justin Rose's group) was able to finish, as well.

Just wondering whether there is any rule that covers this situation other than it is against the rule to start a hole after the horn sounds to end play.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:10:17 PM by David Federman »

C. Squier

It's not what you know, but who you know  8)

I'm sure if asked, Phil would have let the group behind play through.  Though I'm not sure that many players are clever enough to realize how to use the rule for a gain like Phil did.  There's nothing wrong than being more aware of your situation than the rest of the field and using it to your advantage. 

As for the rest of the field, it would take a real jerk to be upset at someone doing everything they can to avoid a morning start when they're going to be in the last group of round 3. 

ward peyronnin

I don't understand how you can defend Tiger Woods, the worlds most iconic player who should conduct himself to a higher standard, cheating and yet castigate this courtesy move.

Have you thought that Bradley was out of it and didn't want to come back for one hole this morning? Wow what a double standard
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

David Federman

Ward - I don't know who you are, but  the double-standard is what many posters on this board apply to Tiger. I had thought as most commentators did that Phil's agreement with DJ was a smart move. As I stated in my post, it did not make any difference.  After, I wondered if there is a penalty for teeing off after the horn sounds and, if so, what the penalty is. I was not castigating, I was raising a question. There is a big difference. Since the USGA has rules on just about everything, is there a rule that would cover this situation? Now, if you have an answer to the question, I welcome it.

Tim_Weiman

David,

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the rules, but there is one perspective you may be overlooking. The USGA is now trying to promote pace of play.

Think about that from the perspective of ordinary golfers who leave work and try to get in nine holes before it gets dark. I was taught at a young age that a golfer should always be conscious of people behind him, especially when it is getting dark.

Allowing Bradley to hit and for his group to finish set the proper example. The worst thing the USGA could do is make a rule against it.
Tim Weiman

ward peyronnin

David I am on vacation and do not have my decisions book but I am pretty sure the penalty for playing after play is suspended is DQ.

As a formerly active rules official any legitimate way I could find to move players around the course is in the spirit of the competition and therefore the rules.

There may be some Tiger bashing but that is an outgrowth of his attitude that it is all about him. He knew the rules well enough to know he could move that big rock with help and he knows the rules well enough to bully his way around them and dare an official to challenge HIM. I saw Seve do it and I saw Jack do it and i didn't care for that either but at least Seve was colorful when he resorted to it and jack , well I am not gonna apologize for him but he had more class in many other ways and didn't have a reputuaion in such bad need of repair.

Maybe you would consider attending a rules class
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

David Federman

ward - I don't need to take a rules class, but I do need to get out of this thread. You need to chill out, relax, and enjoy the Open.

Jim Nugent

I saw Seve do it and I saw Jack do it and i didn't care for that either but at least Seve was colorful when he resorted to it and jack , well I am not gonna apologize for him but he had more class in many other ways and didn't have a reputuaion in such bad need of repair.

I'd like to know more about Jack in this respect.  Can you give some specifics?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back