News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

5 some
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »
Last 2 times I played on Friday afternoon we have played behind the same 5 some.

The 1st time this happened we called the pro shop.

This time I sent an email to the pro, assistant pro, and GM.

The pro replied that all local private clubs allow 5 somes.

On Friday afternoon of Fathers Day weekend.

Garbage.

4 hours and 35 minutes to play - way too long!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:14:03 PM by Jerry Kessler »

Mac Plumart

Re: 5 some
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
The pro replied that all loacl private clubs allow 5 somes.

Not where I play in GA.  Thank God!

Sorry, Jerry.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:18:09 PM »
I was in LA a few weeks ago and was very surprised to see many 5somes at private courses. I guess different clubs and different regions just have different policies.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »
Jerry, my wife and I experienced this several times in our recent trip through New Mexico.
First, at Sierra del Rio, behind 5 guys (who played surprisingly quickly) who were celebrating one of their fivesome's upcoming wedding the next day - guys all in their late 60's - who did well to keep in front of us until the 17th tee, when another buddy of theirs owned a house and was inviting one and all to come over to his patio for a drink and a tour of his house!
Then we got behind a fivesome at Black Mesa on the back nine and experienced a 3-hour 9 holes.
And then the next day at Cochiti, we got behind a fivesome of women on the 7th hole who let us play through at the turn, and then got behind 5 guys on the 18th hole. After the round I went in and asked if it was commonplace in New Mexico these days and the guy put his head down and quietly said "yeah". I told him if that happened where we come from (western Canada) the course operators would get shot.

noonan

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »
Ironic that this happens during the play fast program

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
Last 2 times I played on Friday afternoon we have played behind the same 5 some.

The 1st time this happened we called the pro shop.

This time I sent an email to the pro, assistant pro, and GM.

The pro replied that all local private clubs allow 5 somes.

On Friday afternoon of Fathers Day weekend.

Garbage.

If they kept up with the group in front of them, what's the problem ?

4 hours and 35 minutes to play - way too long!

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:57:58 PM »
It is pretty common at my current and prior club as well as the public course I play most often.  At the private clubs nearly everyone shows good judgment, plays in four hours and lets groups through if they are not waiting.  At the public course, it is going to take 4:45 to play regardless so allowing five lets more people in the 2 hour rotation of prime tee times on weekend mornings.

I like having the option to play five.  It means you can allow someone without a game to join your group of four. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
Jason,

I agree.

If the group keeps up with the group in front of them, I don't see any problem with fivesomes, especially at the "bookends" of the season.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »
Although I have not been a member for over a year, I played any number of games where we played five-somes at MPCC. We played ready golf and very few rounds went over four hours. The beauty of the arrangement was that a single could find a game. Not only that but a Wolf game provided additional benefits to the winner.

Bob

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:26:28 AM »
Grew up on a course that allowed 5-somes.

If I EVER played there in 4:35 I would kiss the marshall's shoes. 5:35 is a good time there.

Ahhh Los Verdes...

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
It's fine when play is light with guys who understand how to get around and let folks through.  It should never be allowed on a busy Friday afternoon.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
Grew up on a course that allowed 5-somes.

If I EVER played there in 4:35 I would kiss the marshall's shoes. 5:35 is a good time there.

Ahhh Los Verdes...

Ohhh Los Verdes...one course in So Cal I refuse to play under any circumstance.  El Dorado Park is similar with 5 somes but not nearly the 6 hour standard.  Saturday mid day tee time at LV is easily 6+

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
We play 5 when we want at my club and it's always under 4 hours.  Makes for some good games.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
A lot of clubs give the pro the flexibility to allow 5somes when play is light.  Most pros tell 5somes that they'd better let any faster groups through or else 5somes won't ever be allowed.  It usually works pretty well.

That's the way it works at my club. We have a regular 5some in the winter, and they always volunteer to let us through immediately. It's 4 guys and the wife of one of them who happens to be the women's club champion. She probably has quite the difficulty getting a game that time of year. When catching up to another 5some a couple of weeks ago, the first thing they said to us was you can play through anytime, just let us know.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
 ::) ??? 8)

Huge questions and debate over this at our place over the years .  It requires great , hands on decision making and monitoring . When this happens it is a useful tool for all the reasons Jason T and others have mentioned .  The guys in the five some have to stay in lock step with the people in front, and the starter / pro needs to monitor play .

If you have a group of eighteen guys , it mandates two fives . They need to go first out of the eighteen , with the foursomes following . Thus the pressure to move it out comes from within, and the five some isn't in someone's face who might not comprehend the value.  The group leader, whoever that might be, needs to remind all that five helps the game and is a privilege.

Moreover , I'd rather see five than three on a busy day . It's a great tool used correctly !

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
The only alternative to playing as a 5 ball is to split into a 3 and a 2. This will take just as long overall and not be as much fun so what's the problem with playing as a five?

5 ball or even 6 ball skins is a very quick game anyway.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
For those of you are aghast at playing at anything but a four-ball, you probably would have to turn down in invitation to San Francisco Golf Club. I haven't been there for some years but it was not uncommon to see a seven-ball in action.

Bob

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
::) ??? 8)

Huge questions and debate over this at our place over the years .  It requires great , hands on decision making and monitoring . When this happens it is a useful tool for all the reasons Jason T and others have mentioned .  The guys in the five some have to stay in lock step with the people in front, and the starter / pro needs to monitor play .

If you have a group of eighteen guys , it mandates two fives . They need to go first out of the eighteen , with the foursomes following . Thus the pressure to move it out comes from within, and the five some isn't in someone's face who might not comprehend the value.  The group leader, whoever that might be, needs to remind all that five helps the game and is a privilege.

Moreover , I'd rather see five than three on a busy day . It's a great tool used correctly !

+1
never seen a slow 5some
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
There are fivesomes who can play in 3 hours and twosomes who can't.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

noonan

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
They would not let anyone play through - and there were holes open in front of them.

Unacceptable!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
Although I have not been a member for over a year, I played any number of games where we played five-somes at MPCC. We played ready golf and very few rounds went over four hours. The beauty of the arrangement was that a single could find a game. Not only that but a Wolf game provided additional benefits to the winner.

Bob

The more the merrier for wolf. Played in a seven man game once at the end of the day.

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 04:55:47 AM »
Perhaps it's not necessarily the number of players in the group, but the format they play, that is the issue?

5balls are a regular occurrence at our club. The format is the lowest 2 handicaps play the highest 3 in betterball matchplay, and the 2ball are given a 1 up start on each nine. I've never seen a slow group as the 5th player is always ready to play right after the 4th, as let's be honest there is only so much standing around one can do on a golf course  ::)

This works very well, even on a busy day.

Now if a course was full of 2 and 3 ball groups playing a medal and a 5ball also playing a medal slotted in, I suspect it wouldn't work so well???

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 05:51:11 AM »
I just hope that no one in Germany except me reads that thread ;-)

Some courses here are so full that owners would do almost anything to accommodate more players. Like chopping up a good 18 hole course into 27 holes and later 36 with lots of short holes and safety netting. Fivesomes would be another cool idea, but it suffers from everyone having to play their own ball. I believe the true revolution would be sixsomes - like foursomes, only that each team is made up of three players taking turns.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »
I agree with Archie, a very dangerous set-up to pursue, but if done right, with the right people, at the right time, it can work.  Generally speaking, I think its a recipe for disaster.  Shit, generally speaking, in season, 4balls are a recipe for disaster!  The older I get the more I want to play tough courses as a 2ball - its usually far more enjoyable. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »
 8) ;D ;)

At our course here at the Jersey Shore (Greate Bay ..Park 1925) , a four hour round is the exception not the rule, 3:40 is the norm . . With this being said we do get busy , and have a bunch of competitive groups who just show up and play together regularly and it makes for some uneven numbers. The use of fivesomes let us manage this successfully. This being said , there will always be "purists" who think five is anathema.

For my money, I'd rather deal with a few members who can voice their complaints rather than send someone home because his or her group had one extra player.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back