News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

What are the good things that have happened to the game?
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Given the moaning, groaning and complaining (a lot of which I agree with), I think a view from the glass is half full perspective is needed.  I will start:

1. hybrid golf clubs
2. golf balls last longer
3. more access to better courses that are in better shape ....
 ..... accessable destination golf
4. equipment design and maunfacture (let's leave aside the 460 cc titanium driver) has improved vastly ... adjustable clubs are good
5. bad weather -  rain gear has improved a lot
6. are light weight carry bags a relatively new item?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BHoover

Re: What are the good things that have happened to the game?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
Comfortable golf shoes
Soft spikes and, even better, spikeless shoes

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
Maintenance equipment technological and engineering advances.  Everything from better blade sharpeners, to more precise sprayers and nozzle head material, aerator advances, sprinkler head functionality, etc.  Things that save labor time and allow more precise and efficient applications of material, and cultivation of the turf sward.  Oh,,, and the improvement in genetics of turf species cultivars themselves.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
Performance fabrics, which are hard to beat for those of us who live in humid climates and sweat a lot.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
Smoother, faster greens.
More durable, forgiving equipment.
Better clothing.
Less discrimination.
Stand bags.
Sunscreen.
Development of more inland and rural courses.

For all of our complaining, there's no question in my mind that I'd rather be a golfer in 2013 than any other year so far.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
How about the newfound appreciation for classic design priorities brought on by the new Golden Age of GCA?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
Smoother, faster greens.
More durable, forgiving equipment.
Better clothing.
Less discrimination.
Stand bags.
Sunscreen.
Development of more inland and rural courses.

For all of our complaining, there's no question in my mind that I'd rather be a golfer in 2013 than any other year so far.

I appreciate just about every development posted on this thread, but when it comes to choosing an era in which to play, I still don't think there has been a profound improvement in the enjoyment of the game over the last 40-50 years. Golf looked like it was a lot of fun in the '20s, too.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Thurman

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
That's fine Rick. I'd just much rather be playing the game now, personally.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Given the moaning, groaning and complaining (a lot of which I agree with), I think a view from the glass is half full perspective is needed.  I will start:

6. are light weight carry bags a relatively new item?

I guess you never had a white canvas "Sunday bag!"   I had one sixty years ago, easiest to carry until my Sun Mountain 2.5. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
3-wheel push carts & battery-powered trolleys. 

Greg Taylor

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
It may be unpalatable to some on this site but you cannot deny that 460cc titanium woods are good for the game.

Hitting the ball 40 yards further is a thrill for everyone... you may say shaping a 170 yard six iron or holing a 10 footer downhill... but everyone and I mean everyone loves to hit the ball further.

We can argue whether they have rendered courses obsolete another time!

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
It may be unpalatable to some on this site but you cannot deny that 460cc titanium woods are good for the game.

Hitting the ball 40 yards further is a thrill for everyone... you may say shaping a 170 yard six iron or holing a 10 footer downhill... but everyone and I mean everyone loves to hit the ball further.

We can argue whether they have rendered courses obsolete another time!

Greg,
Disagree completely.
Distance is all relative to other players.
I'm sure players hitting it 180 in 1890 got the same thrill we do out of being the longest in their group that the guy hitting it 280 does now.
In fact hitting it "40 yards further" has been awful for the game if you look at course alterations, narrowing of corridors, safety issues, more real estate, cost etc.
Not saying hitting it far is not a thrill ,but I absolutely don't think it's been good for the game.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
And end to no shorts rules at almost all US clubs.

ed_getka

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
Rain gloves! I can't golf in the summer in NC without them.

Greg,
  I can deny it and I do. What are the odds you are in your 20's? :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
I'm 43...!

My point is that it's unpalatable to people on here, which represents 0.0001% of the golfing population, but to the heaving masses oversize drivers and fired up balls have made the game more playable and more fun on a Saturday morning, which ultimately is what it's about.

Granted, to GCA, different debate, but that wasn't the question posed now was it...?!

Greg Taylor

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
You'll be telling me that records are better than CDs next, "because the surface noise adds character"....!

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
More durable balls and better rain year are the only two I agree with. 

These are the only good things that have happened to the game? Really?

I think one good thing is the improvement in access and openness. As a (granted, non-practicing) Catholic, I've played clubs that my parents and grandparents certainly would not hav been welcome. To me, that's a good thing.

I also make no apologies for enjoying modern equipment. My game does not render any golf course obsolete, so I'm happy to use modern drivers, irons, wedges when I play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back