News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Re: Hugh Wilson on phlly.com
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »
Wilson's design of Phoenixville has long been a Merion story.  I am told that, while Phoenixville CC gives Wilson credit for their nine hole course, there is no documentation anywhere to support that.  Not even in the Minutes of any club's meetings during the period.

Does anyone know if/where, such documentation exists?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »
Wilson's design of Phoenixville has long been a Merion story.  I am told that, while Phoenixville CC gives Wilson credit for their nine hole course, there is no documentation anywhere to support that.  Not even in the Minutes of any club's meetings during the period.

Does anyone know if/where, such documentation exists?

I've been working with the pro to confirm their origin is Wilson.  I'm confident that is the case but the very early minutes of the club are not currently accessible.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »
Chip - I've played Phoenixville, and it certainly seems to have a Wilson vibe to it, IMHO.   

Was supposed to be 18 holes, but they didn't have the funds when they started, and eventually they found themselves landlocked.

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
From the article:

"Anything [about Wilson] prior to 1912," one Merion member said, "is pure conjecture."

While I wouldn't go this far, this is a more accurate assessment about Merion's early history than most.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
It's an unnamed source.  In a research context, the quote is worthless.

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
It's an unnamed source.  In a research context, the quote is worthless.

It is worth more than just making things up, which seems to be the more common approach when it comes to Wilson's involvement pre-1912.

Besides, who is using it in a "research context," whatever that means?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back