News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

HD TV and Rules Infringement
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:20:24 AM »
Happened to be glancing at the TV coverage at Quail Hollow while I was reading the paper and saw a player mark and replace his ball on the green.  Even at normal speed I thought it looked odd.  In slo-mo it seems relatively clear that the ball was replaced in a different place.

Here are three photos in sequence as the silver maker is placed, clearly to the side of the ball.

By here the silver marker is under his ring finger and the ball is behind his first two finger and clearly to the shoe side of the ball.

And, here are 5 images of the replacement of the ball in sequence

By here, the ball is in front of the marker.

Here, the player picks up the silver marker in forefinger and thumb from behind the ball

Here moving his hand away.

This kind of sleight of hand is frowned on even in our club competitions.  Surprised to see it on tour.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:34:05 PM by Bryan Izatt »

Anthony Butler

Re: HD TV and Rules Infringement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:13:04 AM »
Brian-Apparently Photobucket thinks you're cheating on your bandwidth...

Can someone post a video link to this? It's at least 8 hours until Sergio tees off in Round 3. We might be able to get him disqualified yet!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:18:34 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Martin Toal

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
No penalty

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9240376/sergio-garcia-cleared-tv-viewer-calls-infraction

Sergio haters, move along.

Why do you make such an unhelpful remark? Are you accusing Bryan of being a "Sergio hater"?

Martin Toal

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:41 AM »
No penalty

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9240376/sergio-garcia-cleared-tv-viewer-calls-infraction

Why do you make such an unhelpful remark? Are you accusing Bryan of being a "Sergio hater"?

No. I think he might be a photobucket hater though.

But Anthony wondered if we could yet get Sergio DQ'd.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
No penalty

No. I think he might be a photobucket hater though.

But Anthony wondered if we could yet get Sergio DQ'd.

I was being facetious btw... Also that Espn.com link only leads to other cheaters... First an ad for Dennis kozlowski's old company, then Phil Mickelson (who's spike marks poor Sergio had to hole a 5 foot wedge over)  then the illegal grooves that spin 50 foot wedge shots back 20 feet.

I realize Phil's an American hero and all, while Sergio-if he doesn't shave every day- looks like the missing Tsarnaev brother, but let's be fair here.  ;)
Next!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
I used up my Photobucket bandwidth for the month - probably on the Brora photo thread.  New month starts on May 22.  No photos until then.

The pictures do not identify the player, nor did I.  I'm not a Sergio hater. I didn't call it in, nor would I.  I'm not a fan of anybody calling in rules infractions.  I thought it was interesting how easy it is to pick up small movements on HD TV.  I thought it looked suspicious, but if thje powers that be say that kind of replacement is OK, then I'm good with that. 

Sounds like the Tour is more sensitive to the process of reviewing these situations after the Tiger Masters incident.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
In the interim,,,
 I saw something interesting in the few minutes I watched. I saw several errant drives, that from the overhead perspective, appeared to be in direct line with the gallery. I didn't see anyone get hit, but the announcer mentioned there had been an incident. What struck me as odd about what I was watching was that there was no reaction from anyone prior to the balls landing.  It looked as if no one had yelled "fore". Perhaps the reason no one yelled was because the balls are hit so far, that nobody can see the line of gallery, to inform them ahead of time, they are about to be in peril.

Could this "safety" factor be a leg in the door, legalistically, to finally resolving the I&B issues?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »
The pictures are now available on the opening post,

Mark Steffey

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
i'm more upset he needed to mark that.   it looks to be a couple inches (within a foot) away from the hole.  knock it in already and let's go!  ;)

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 02:00:48 AM »
Why was he marking? 
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Anthony Butler

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
He would have been standing in a fellow competitor's line if he had putted out..
Next!

Mark Steffey

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
He would have been standing in a fellow competitor's line if he had putted out..

i dunno...  from where i see him standing he can give it a whack and finish up the final 5 inches no problem.  ;)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »

i dunno...  from where i see him standing he can give it a whack and finish up the final 5 inches no problem.  ;)
You'd think so from looking at it... max 15 inches left... The news reports indicated it was a 3-4 ft putt however.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back