News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Jason:

A thousand? Really? That means -- on average -- there are 20 similarly good low-budget courses (for sake of argument, let's make it $30 a round tops) in every state. Your home state and mine are pretty average -- are there 20 as-good low-budget courses in Minnesota? Just based on what I've seen on the photo threads, I'm not sure there are in Wisconsin.

I will bite.  This is off the top of my head without research.  I don't know if these courses are under $30 but I bet they are under $40.  I know their price is low enough that I would not check the price before deciding to play there.  If given a choice between one of these courses and Aiken, I would be happy either way:

Minnesota:

Keller

Jason,

I haven't played Aiken, but from what I've seen and read on here I think it sound an awful lot like Keller in many respects. Why do I like Keller (pre-restoration)? Mainly because it was cheap (~$35), pretty easy, but also had a fun collection of neat classic holes you don't find around very often on modern public courses. So I think you're really onto something regarding your theory. The second part of GCA's love of Aiken is likely classic group think.
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
I haven't played Aiken

PCC:  you are missing out.  Have you played in the Augusta/Aiken area yet?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Though I usually play to my handicap or better at Aiken, I usually feel like I should have scored a few shots lower after most rounds.  

The white sand and pine trees give Aiken a "Pinehurst" type of feel and the ambiance of the course is really nice.  

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
I haven't played Aiken

PCC:  you are missing out.  Have you played in the Augusta/Aiken area yet?

I have, I just haven't seen Aiken yet. Would certainly like to see when down their again.
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »
I"m really not sure I've seen many people call Aiken "great".  Rather most see it as good, or good enough as Sean says, with a great ambiance, interesting greens, walkable, affordable, not long for long's sake, and all around well done. 

Another thing I like about it, is that it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is; a good local course.  It doesn't pretend to be a "Championship" lay out, it isn't a country club for a day, it is just a good local golf course that anyone can play, anytime they want, and not get over-charged.

Golf needs more courses/facilities like this.

I agree with all of these points.  I did in fact really enjoy the course.  I just would not put it in the category of a destination course but rather a nice local addition that represents a nice reminder about what is important in the game.

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
The second part of GCA's love of Aiken is likely classic group think.

Pat: I'm sure you didn't mean it to seem that way, but this comment comes across as demeaning the intelligence of everyone who has expressed positive views on Aiken in this thread. Also a pretty bold statement given you haven't seen it! :)

I'm sure Aiken is a fine golf course. I don't mean to "demean the intelligence" of anyone who likes it, but there is a classic GCA group think which can elevate general opinion of a course. Mostly, I am agreeing with Jason's theory.  
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
I just would not put it in the category of a destination course but rather a nice local addition that represents a nice reminder about what is important in the game.

Agreed 100%.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
Bread and butter.  Ham and eggs.

Aiken lets you relax while holding your interest.  It's not great - it's delightful.  I'm not great, but I'm delightful, so it suits me well.  

I have a pair of amber colored Johnston and Murphy oxfords I bought in 1979.  I'm wearing them today at work.   That's Aiken.  Timeless, stylish and comfortable.    

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
Well said my friend. 

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I"m really not sure I've seen many people call Aiken "great".  Rather most see it as good, or good enough as Sean says, with a great ambiance, interesting greens, walkable, affordable, not long for long's sake, and all around well done. 

Another thing I like about it, is that it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is; a good local course.  It doesn't pretend to be a "Championship" lay out, it isn't a country club for a day, it is just a good local golf course that anyone can play, anytime they want, and not get over-charged.

I agree with all of these points.  I did in fact really enjoy the course.  I just would not put it in the category of a destination course but rather a nice local addition that represents a nice reminder about what is important in the game.

Jason

Its interesting how you delineate "destination course".  Being one who very much believes destination has everything to do with where one is and what is available while there (meaning one may be in town for a particular course and pick up on one or more others because they are convenient), out of curiosity, what is your definition of destination course? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Topp

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

Jason

Its interesting how you delineate "destination course".  Being one who very much believes destination has everything to do with where one is and what is available while there (meaning one may be in town for a particular course and pick up on one or more others because they are convenient), out of curiosity, what is your definition of destination course?  

Ciao

Sean - a destination course would be a course that would inspire me to schedule a trip for the purpose of playing the course that involves an overnight stay.   I do not mean a course that it is worth staying an extra night on an existing trip to enjoy. 

I am willing to travel anywhere to play golf with a great group of people or for an interesting event, but the motivation for the trip would not be the golf course.  If, on the  other hand, I like the course enough that seeing the course itself makes it worth travel that requires  an overnight stay independent of those other factors, I would consider it a destination course.

In my view, Palmetto is a destination course.  Aiken would be an add on.  Pennard and Porthcawl are desitnation courses.  Southerdown is probably not although it is pretty close.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:33:52 AM by Jason Topp »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
It looks like it would be fun to play. The rest is gravy. And for $25????

JC Jones

Re: DRe: Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »

Must you make it so personal Mr. Whitaker?

Ok, I did shoot 94 at Palmetto the day before.  I'm a crappy player.  But somehow I managed to shoot 74 at Aiken with two doubles on the back due to a careless short game.  I suppose you're right though; I should have scored better.

"Careless short game"?!?!?!?  You pitched in from 50ish yards for birdie to devastate Pritchett who was sitting 3 feet for birdie.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

Ok, I did shoot 94 at Palmetto the day before.  I'm a crappy player.  But somehow I managed to shoot 74 at Aiken with two doubles on the back due to a careless short game.  I suppose you're right though; I should have scored better.

"Careless short game"?!?!?!?  You pitched in from 50ish yards for birdie to devastate Pritchett who was sitting 3 feet for birdie.

Of course JC means eagle, not birdie. 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
A really good day would be Palmetto in the morning, Aiken in the afternoon.
The Wilcox, late afternoon. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »

Of course JC means eagle, not birdie. 

Damn, you young guys have great memories.  Me, I use this thing called Excel and it doesn't let me forget the 4 shots to get down from 85Y on 10; 4 from 60' on 11; 3 from 45' on 12; and 4 from 45' on 17.  Whitaker is on to something.

Golf is often redeemed by the lucky shot.  Now that I know what devastation looks like (I thought it was just run-of-the-mill contempt), I'll try being more congenial around Mark.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

+1
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »
A really good day would be Palmetto in the morning, Aiken in the afternoon.
The Wilcox, late afternoon. 

I guess I missed the Wilcox.  A bar?   The bar at the Aiken Hotel was up and down but there was a good country rock band one night.

The answer to the question in the title of this thread is YES, people like Aiken because it's cheap (relatively), easy (relatively), and FUN (very).

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »

Jason

Its interesting how you delineate "destination course".  Being one who very much believes destination has everything to do with where one is and what is available while there (meaning one may be in town for a particular course and pick up on one or more others because they are convenient), out of curiosity, what is your definition of destination course?  

Ciao

Sean - a destination course would be a course that would inspire me to schedule a trip for the purpose of playing the course that involves an overnight stay.   I do not mean a course that it is worth staying an extra night on an existing trip to enjoy. 

I am willing to travel anywhere to play golf with a great group of people or for an interesting event, but the motivation for the trip would not be the golf course.  If, on the  other hand, I like the course enough that seeing the course itself makes it worth travel that requires  an overnight stay independent of those other factors, I would consider it a destination course.

In my view, Palmetto is a destination course.  Aiken would be an add on.  Pennard and Porthcawl are desitnation courses.  Southerdown is probably not although it is pretty close.

So I guess your concept of destination means you may get on a plane, play a course, spend the night then go home?  If thats the case, its tough company for me.  I can't think of a single course I would be willing to do that for.  There are courses I would drive to for this purpose, but not fly given my current location.  Even in the States, probably only Augusta would fit that definition for me.  I wonder how many guys are willing to do as you suggest may happen?   Meaning, no other reason.  Just, plane, golf, night, home - thats hardcore.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Topp

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

So I guess your concept of destination means you may get on a plane, play a course, spend the night then go home?  If thats the case, its tough company for me.  I can't think of a single course I would be willing to do that for.  There are courses I would drive to for this purpose, but not fly given my current location.  Even in the States, probably only Augusta would fit that definition for me.  I wonder how many guys are willing to do as you suggest may happen?   Meaning, no other reason.  Just, plane, golf, night, home - thats hardcore.

Ciao  

It is not quite that harsh of a standard Sean.  I view a destination course as one you would be willing to build a trip around.  I frequently travel to the Harvester which is a 3-1/2 hour drive.  Usually we will play multiple rounds there but sometimes we will mix in another course or two.  The Harvester qualifies as a destination course. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:47:24 PM by Jason Topp »

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »

So I guess your concept of destination means you may get on a plane, play a course, spend the night then go home?  If thats the case, its tough company for me.  I can't think of a single course I would be willing to do that for.  There are courses I would drive to for this purpose, but not fly given my current location.  Even in the States, probably only Augusta would fit that definition for me.  I wonder how many guys are willing to do as you suggest may happen?   Meaning, no other reason.  Just, plane, golf, night, home - thats hardcore.

Ciao 

Not quite that harsh Sean.  I view a destination course as one you would be willing to build a trip around.

Jas

Okay, that makes sense to me for Aiken (from pix anyway) as a favourable add-on.  I usually try to kick in at least two courses I think will be 1* for me then maybe add in a few Aikens which may surprise and steal the show, but much depends on the area.  When people ask me why such and such was done the way it was I always say to go on golf trip you have to go where the courses are.  Though I admit the older I get the more I look to play convenient courses, but I am also much more likely to give the question mark courses a go - this is primarily just a function of seriously increased green fees in recent years.  Its not so different with trying to source good table wine - tee hee.     

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Bill - The Willcox is a wonderful, historic hotel in Aiken town - walls laiden with equestrian memorabilia mainly but also golf. Classy place, v old school vibe - it's coming up next in my Southern tour!

Sorry I missed it.  The Aiken Hotel was quite loud and rude at night. 

JC Jones

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Bill is showing his age. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
Bill is showing his age. 

It got really loud by 10 pm!   ;D

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
Yes!

I used to go down there with my daughter and her horse in March when the footing was good.

Love the Aiken Golf Course, a gem!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:10:29 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back