News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeToro

Eagle Eye GC in Lansing MI
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Has anyone else out there played Eagle Eye GC in Lansing MI?  I played there for the first time this weekend and was underwhelmed for a course that's always ranked in the top you can play and top in Michigan according to Golf Digest.  I could name several courses in Michigan more deserving of that spot (Belvedere?).  Plus for a lnks course, I was surprised to see the amount of water hazards as well as the soft conditions--the right side of the 15th hole was nearly sinking into the pond. 

Granted it was a cold, rainy-ish day, so maybe that influenced my harsh review, but I just wondered what everyone else thought

Jeff Shelman

Re: Eagle Eye GC in Lansing MI
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
Chris,

I've played twice as the better half went to Michigan State and I've joined her on returns to Sparty-land.

I think that the golf course is good, but not great. There are a number of good holes and some good uses of angles.

I don't have enough Michigan knowledge to know where it stacks up against competition. But my feeling is that it's certainly not a bad course and it's worth playing if someone is in the area. But it's not worth a special trip or any sort of longish drive. I also don't believe that it's the greatest value out there.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Chris,

Did you play Hawk Hollow as well?

Chris DeToro

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
Hey Jeff, I agree with you.  Probably the best course in the Lansing area.  Have you played the MSU courses? 

Eric, I did play Hawk Hollow as well.  I found that to be an interesting layout with good use of elevation (number 4 was probably the longest 488 yard par 5 I've ever played) and nice variety of holes. 

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
Eagle Eye is a nice track but its definitely out of my top 10 for Michigan.  The greens typically roll pretty pure and #17 is always fun to play....additionally if you keep an eye on golfnow.com you can play the course in June, July, or August for $30 which is tough to beat. 
"Pure Michigan"

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:31:48 PM »
I played both Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow on a trip back in 2009 and had an absolute blast at Eagle Eye. The course is intimidating on the first play but much more playable on the second go around. Hawk Hollow was a different story as I found the water on darn near every hole. Still a cool place and the operations at both facilities were first rate. I'll go back for sure.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Chris,

I actually have never played either of the MSU/Forest Akers courses. We are frequently there around a MSU football weekend, so I don't want to deal with it. I'd rather play somewhere where I think the pace of play will be better.

I did play Timber Ridge one summer I was there. I cannot in good faith recommend that to anybody.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »
Alright Eric, you've convinced me to give it another go at some point.  Definitely going to wait until it's 70 degrees plus and not a cloud in the sky this time though

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
Alright Eric, you've convinced me to give it another go at some point.  Definitely going to wait until it's 70 degrees plus and not a cloud in the sky this time though

Chris, 

I went in August when all the courses we played in Michigan were in peak condition. Yes, there are a lot of water hazards at Eagle Eye so not exactly links like - more TPC-ish - which is good fun as well. Especially in match play with your buddies. The replica 17th alone is worth the price of admission. Matter of fact, all the par 3's were quite good and true to the style of many of Pete Dye's more famous creations.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »
As someone who grew up in East Lansing and lived there most of my life, I always find these rare threads on my hometown courses to be entertaining.

Surprisingly, although I worked at Hawk Hollow as a late-teen and also worked for the management group that managed Hawk Hollow, Timber Ridge and others through-out my upbringing and early adulthood, I have not played Eagle Eye in its entirety and beyond its construction phase.  Perhaps I'll play it soon.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Schott

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »
Hey Jeff, I agree with you.  Probably the best course in the Lansing area.  Have you played the MSU courses? 

Eric, I did play Hawk Hollow as well.  I found that to be an interesting layout with good use of elevation (number 4 was probably the longest 488 yard par 5 I've ever played) and nice variety of holes. 

Hi Chris, I've played Forest Akers West many times over the years. It's maintained sort of as an arboretum per the request of Mr. Akers who originally donated the land so there are a lot of trees. On most holes they are not intrusive and are well maintained. I liked the course a lot more before they moved the clubhouse from off of Harrison Rd to Forest Rd. This completely changed the routing and not for the better. The 4 par 3' s are now 7, 9, 10 and 12. Really stupid. 18 used to be an interesting and deceptive short par 4 and now it's a long par 4 with a second shot over a pond. Too hard and no strategic options. It's very difficult for a mid-handicap golfer.

It's a fine course though with well located bunkers. I know nothing about the East course except it's on a very flat piece of land.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Mike, I played Akers West a number of times in the 1970s, before they changed the course.  18 was not a par 4 back then.  It was an uphill par 3, that I used to hit 4 iron or 5 iron into.  Can't recall if we could see the pin, but definitely couldn't see the green or the hole.  The short par 4 was 10, which (real) long hitters could drive. 

I liked Akers OK, but never felt it was great.  Most memorable experience: I saw an encounter between a hawk and a squirrel, between the 3rd green and the 4th tee, where the hawk had the squirrel dead to rights, but somehow the squirrel stared down the hawk and made it to the nearest tree safe and sound. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
Most memorable experience: I saw an encounter between a hawk and a squirrel, between the 3rd green and the 4th tee, where the hawk had the squirrel dead to rights, but somehow the squirrel stared down the hawk and made it to the nearest tree safe and sound. 

Jim,

Reminds me of a different ending I witnessed between a squirrel and a hawk (an osprey, in this instance). We were making the turn at the Fazio Course at Palmetto Dunes and I was sitting there in my golf cart when I noticed these little chunks of fur falling onto my leg. Looked up in the tree and, well...dinner was served!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back