News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

I heard today from a very good source that the Broadmoor Resort is having a meeting this week to decide whether to make a big push for the US Open. Their desire for an Open has been well documented and they have hosted just about every other USGA event other than the US Open (US Amatuer, Womens US Open and Senior US Open). They are deciding whether they are going to need to significantly lengthen the course in order to be considered (I know people think that it is not long enough). In order to lengthen the course they would have to completely remove Cheyenne Mountain Blvd which currently divides the Ross sections from the RTJ sections.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212710005400523430383.0004db2fd23bba2381e42

I guess my question is that with the difficulty of the greens there. Is lengthening needed? Or if they made the fairways soft and the greens firm, would that do essentially the same thing. I am interested in seeing what happens, either way I know the residents are not going to be happy if they take out a main thoroughfare. I am also interested in who they are looking at doing the work (please not Rees Jones, please not Rees Jones, please not Rees Jones!!!). I dare not hope that they would take a page from Pinehurst and get C&C.

Matthew Petersen

I heard today from a very good source that the Broadmoor Resort is having a meeting this week to decide whether to make a big push for the US Open. Their desire for an Open has been well documented and they have hosted just about every other USGA event other than the US Open (US Amatuer, Womens US Open and Senior US Open). They are deciding whether they are going to need to significantly lengthen the course in order to be considered (I know people think that it is not long enough). In order to lengthen the course they would have to completely remove Cheyenne Mountain Blvd which currently divides the Ross sections from the RTJ sections.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212710005400523430383.0004db2fd23bba2381e42

I guess my question is that with the difficulty of the greens there. Is lengthening needed? Or if they made the fairways soft and the greens firm, would that do essentially the same thing. I am interested in seeing what happens, either way I know the residents are not going to be happy if they take out a main thoroughfare. I am also interested in who they are looking at doing the work (please not Rees Jones, please not Rees Jones, please not Rees Jones!!!). I dare not hope that they would take a page from Pinehurst and get C&C.

I think there's ample evidence that, in theory, even a relatively short course can play US Open hard if you have small, tilted greens and they're very hard and fast. Pebble has showed that. The greens at the Broadmoor fit that description, the question is if they can be relied upon to be firm and fast in June, when the typical weather pattern is for afternoon showers in the area (such weather events also have played havoc with golf events there for years just in terms of getting players to finish).

As for length, even if you have no roll at all, the course will not play long for these bombers at that altitude. Desn't mean the course couldn't defend itself, anyway, but they'd actually probably be better off with firm fairways that would become hard to hold due to their slopes and hillsides--but again, that's contingent on being able to keep the turf firm.

Matthew Petersen

Despite those difficulties I mention, I would certainly love to see it. Colorado is a wonderful state for golf and it would be great to have the national open in a part of the country where it has not been for a very long time.

Matthew Petersen

And, lastly, as a reference point, the East course currently plays to 7355 par 72 on the card. No doubt two of those par 5s would be made into par 4s. Effectively, without any changes, you're talking about a course that would play to a par 70 at effectively just over 6600 yards. That's something like 1000 yards shorter than Torrey Pines played (on the card, if not in reality) in 2008.

Stephen Davis

Matthew,

Thanks for weighing in. I would love to see the US Open come here or a PGA for that matter. I do wish that more trust could be placed in the powers that be to not destroy a course in the attempts to get it "tournament ready".

BCrosby

The Broadmoor is how many feet above sea level?

Matthew Rose

I think it's actually higher than Denver.... 6,000 maybe.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

JNagle

Stephen -

Yes, the Broadmoor is looking at their options for hosting future events, but to date they have not specified which particular event they wish to host (PGA or USGA events).  They have only been talking about conceptual ideas of what may be necessary to host future events and not specifics. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:25:35 PM by JNagle »
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Stephen Davis

I am sitting at about 6200ft and I am only a couple miles from the Broadmoor. My guess is they are around 6400 at the club house and maybe 6500 at the higher parts.

John Kirk

A club or resort that considers removing a boulevard so it can host a major golf tournament indicates deep dysfunction about priorities.

In other news, the city of San Francisco has agreed to remove the 19th Avenue onramp to highway 280, so the San Francisco Golf Club can lengthen holes 16, 17 and 18 to provide a "proper Open finish".

BCrosby

I asked about elevation because 7400 yards is short for the pros at sea level.

The Broadmoor at an elevation of 6400 feet ..... yowzzaa.

Bob

Stephen Davis

A club or resort that considers removing a boulevard so it can host a major golf tournament indicates deep dysfunction about priorities.

In other news, the city of San Francisco has agreed to remove the 19th Avenue onramp to highway 280, so the San Francisco Golf Club can lengthen holes 16, 17 and 18 to provide a "proper Open finish".

I definitely would not disagree with you. We actually nearly bought a house just off that road on the West side of the Broadmoor. Kind of glad we didn't get it now, because getting in and out would definitely take a while now. I won't be at all surprised if this gets the green light though. In this area The Broadmoor rules the roost. They are a huge employer for the area and extremely important for the local economy. Plus, many of the people who the road closer will most effect are members.

mike_beene

Wish they would keep it on the 18 Ross holes.Would be easier to clear when the lightning comes over the mountain.With the greens slick the green side rough can make you look silly.Plus at altitude the rough plays very different on full shots than anywhere else.Instead of fliers you get knuckle balls that dive into funny places.

Stephen Davis

Wish they would keep it on the 18 Ross holes.Would be easier to clear when the lightning comes over the mountain.With the greens slick the green side rough can make you look silly.Plus at altitude the rough plays very different on full shots than anywhere else.Instead of fliers you get knuckle balls that dive into funny places.

I would agree with this whole heartedly! I just don't know if it will ever happen. I have talked to a few of the powers that be up there and they just don't really seem to care about Ross vs RTJ, all they see is East vs West. It is a shame, because the original Ross 18 just seem to be so much better IMO.

Matthew Petersen

I would agree with this whole heartedly! I just don't know if it will ever happen. I have talked to a few of the powers that be up there and they just don't really seem to care about Ross vs RTJ, all they see is East vs West. It is a shame, because the original Ross 18 just seem to be so much better IMO.

I've never understood why they decided to divide the courses that way. Does anyone know more about what drove that decision?

Jay Flemma

What are the odds of the Broadmoor getting it over, say, Cherry Hills?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joel_Stewart

I don't think Cherry Hills has any chance?  They have less space then Merion.

Matthew Petersen

What are the odds of the Broadmoor getting it over, say, Cherry Hills?

Jay, I don't know much about the internal politics of such decisions. Both courses have a history of USGA championships, Cherry Hills hosting the Am just last year and the Broadmoor has had both the women's and senior Opens within the past few years. If it were purely a choice between the two, I'm not sure which course would be more worthy for the big boys. CH seemed to stand up well to the bombing young ams last year. CH is in the bigger city and, at least based on my experience in attending opens at both venues, it seemed like crowd flow (both around the course and getting into and out of) is better at CH.

mike_beene

A few years ago one of the assistant pros told me that a few years ago they considered redividing the courses but the problem of no clubhouse start for the RTJ section and distribution of play carried the day.I do think the RTJ holes on the west get a little severe although the East holes are good but just different from the Ross holes.I wonder if the upper holes were originally built to stand alone or if the intent was always to extend the lower courses up and get both to and from the clu house. Also,it seems they always switch 7 and 11 for tournaments.Those holes are a little repetitive so hard to notice.

Pete_Pittock

Is there a reeasonable composite course that can be achieved, assuming the two courses are similar in nature? The carillon chiming on the  downswing is distracting.

Stephen Davis

Is there a reeasonable composite course that can be achieved, assuming the two courses are similar in nature? The carillon chiming on the  downswing is distracting.
There are quite a few options avavilable for composite courses there. The most appealing from a GCA standpoint is the original Ross, which has most of the best holes, IMO. The east and west can be mixed if needed though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back