News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Kelly

Yas Links, Abu Dhabi - Photo Tour
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
I recently got the chance to play Yas Links in Abu Dhabi, it has barely been mentioned on this board and with what I see as the potential to become abit of a milestone for golf architecture in the UAE and the middle east I thought a few of you might be interested in a few photos. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I thought it was great fun so here goes.

A little background to the course, opened in 2010 on the man-made Yas Island in Abu Dhabi the course is a Kyle Philips design that claims to be the first links course in the Middle East. With 8 holes played along the shore line and on pure sand the course definitely boasts some of the characteristics of a true links course but as always there are those who will smirk at the links tag. The rolling dunescape we see today has been completely man-made and is fairly bold at times, yet as with Kyle's work at Kingsbarns it sits into it's surroundings very well and provides some very fun and visually stimulating golf.

My personal opinion of the course is slightly split.....or I simply can't make up my mind. I can't think of a weak hole and there are a few fantastic ones, the views are stunning if slightly bizarre at times due to the local architecture, it was in superb condition and I had a great time yet there was something about the course that didn't quite grab me and makes me hesitate from saying it is up there with the best I've played. That may just be a personal preference for more subtle courses that look a bit rough around the edges as it does look abit over the top at times in my opinion. The styling initially looks as though they were going for the big blow-out bunker/rough look but as with everything in Dubai and Abu Dhabi it is presented in pristine condition which can make it look a touch contrived. The shaping is pretty severe at times with extremely large elevation changes for a course that is on land that was originally as flat as a pancake, though perhaps my opinion would have been different if I hadn't known about the original land. The large elevation changes around some of the greens make for some tough golf if you find yourself on the wrong side. It is hard to compare with any other course I have played/seen but almost straight away I got the feeling I was playing a Kyle Phillip's course. Although in an entirely different setting, the proportions, scale and shaping along with some of the strategies and bunker placement made it somehow feel very similar to both Kingsbarns and The Grove. I would be tempted to say that although I probably prefer the setting and ruggedness (in comparison to Yas) of Kingsbarns I think the golf at Yas was maybe more fun as a whole. I don't think it hits the heights of 12 and 15 at Kingsbarns but the overall golfing experience is great with every hole making an impact. The turquoise water and sunshine probably helped make me enjoy it all abit more too!

Anyway onto the photos and I'll let you make up your own minds and share your experiences/thoughts.

Course Layout:

The course is set up in two loops of nine either side of the clubhouse. Kyle and his team have tried to make the most of the long coastline with 8 holes playing along it including the final tough yet beautiful stretch of 16,17 & 18 all playing into the prevailing wind back towards the clubhouse.

1st:

A gentle short par 4 opener. There is plenty of room up the left hand side which opens up the green but the heavily bunkered right hand side might be more favourable when playing to pin positions tucked into banking on the left side of the green. The water park provides the first and definitely worst of the bizarre backdrops.

2nd:

A demanding looking tee shot yet there is more space than you think. The hole is very reachable in two but is a pretty wild green and the right side bunker makes for a tough up and down.

3rd:

The first show stopper, hugging the coastline with exceptional views over the water and mangroves to the famous 'biscuit' building and Abu Dhabi further on. It is a mid-length par 4 that asks you to bite off a touch more than you really need to, though in fact the best line to the green may well be from the outside of the dogleg.

4th:

We move back inland with a pretty cool downhill par 3. There is more green tucked in behind the bunker that you first think and I am sure they could put the pin in there and make for a really nasty little hole.

5 & 6 then play down to the shore and back, and are both short-mid length par 4's.

5th:

The bunker perched on the top of the mound is reachable from the tee, though by laying up short as is the play I guess most will go for leaves a blind approach played over the bunker and a massive grass bunker/swale short of the green that I didn't have a clue about until I reached the top of the crest. The bunker left is nasty spot with the front pin...from experience.

6th:

A really good 4 that asks you to hit as close to the right side rough as you can to open up the green especially with the tight left pin we had. The rough has been left to go wild and planted with 'wiregrass' type plants though I'm unsure of the actual species. It is pot luck what type of lie you'll get with some being completely dead and others easily playable from hard packed sand. Anything in the left side of the fairway is safe but will probably be down in a slight dip leaving a tough approach up and over a bunker. Long and left is a tough recovery from steep drop-offs around the green. Front right pins would be good fun as you can try to run the ball in off the slightly redan-esque apron.

7th:

A strong par 5. Heavily bunkered off the tee, but the bigger hitters can clear nearly all of them (at least from the tees we played) and leave a blind approach over a centre-line bunker and pretty huge hill. The left side offers better views of the green though over a greenside bunker so if laying up the play is up the right side with your second over the bunker leaving a fairly simple approach down the length of the green. Left looks to be a tough up and down.

8th:

The second of the stunning shoreline holes. A short par 3 where left is a really tough recovery from large mounds and with the water right and prevailing wind hard off the left it's not as easy as the short yardage suggests.

9th:

From the back tees this looks like a fantastic hole, unfortunately we were further forward and further round to the left leaving the tee shot over solid ground rather than across the water. With water all along the right I actually think the tee shot from the forward tees although shorter is probably harder from this angle. It's a fairly long hole with the approach another tough shot.

A jetty if you prefer to arrive by boat...

Back nine to follow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:07:29 AM by Tom Kelly »

Tom_Doak

Re: Yas Links, Abu Dhabi - Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
Tom:

What took you to Abu Dhabi?  I'm just curious whether you sought it out as a tourist destination or if it was on business.

I stopped through there last November en route from Scotland to China, and the club was very welcoming on short notice, thanks to a brief email from Kyle Phillips.  They had a small event going on so I started on the back nine and tooled around by myself very quickly; then played with a couple from the Far East once we ran into a wall of players on the front.  I was enjoying myself enough that I kept going and played the back nine again with them.

The condition of the course was very good and I was really impressed by the contouring of the fairways -- I considered sending one of my shapers there from China to get a feel for it.  I did think there was a bit too much effort to separate the holes, which ironically makes them look more alike, because the holes away from the water are pretty much always contained and they start to blend together.  The other thing was that with all the water frontage, it gets away from feeling like a links course because so many of the waterfront holes are designed around water hazards -- like the Cape hole 3rd, several of the par-3's, and the difficult par-5 18th.  You wouldn't see that for more than a couple of holes on any real links.

My favorite hole was the short par-4 on the back -- I think it was the 14th -- which looks like a driveable par-4 from the tee but is actually quite a bit more complex once you get out in the landing area.  I got away with a stupid tee shot there because I didn't know any better!  I also liked how many of those back-nine holes going away from the clubhouse line up with the iconic round building down the coast, or use it as a reference marker at one point when you've got a blind shot from the fairway on a par-5.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
Tom:

What took you to Abu Dhabi?  I'm just curious whether you sought it out as a tourist destination or if it was on business.

I stopped through there last November en route from Scotland to China, and the club was very welcoming on short notice, thanks to a brief email from Kyle Phillips.  They had a small event going on so I started on the back nine and tooled around by myself very quickly; then played with a couple from the Far East once we ran into a wall of players on the front.  I was enjoying myself enough that I kept going and played the back nine again with them.

The condition of the course was very good and I was really impressed by the contouring of the fairways -- I considered sending one of my shapers there from China to get a feel for it.  I did think there was a bit too much effort to separate the holes, which ironically makes them look more alike, because the holes away from the water are pretty much always contained and they start to blend together.  The other thing was that with all the water frontage, it gets away from feeling like a links course because so many of the waterfront holes are designed around water hazards -- like the Cape hole 3rd, several of the par-3's, and the difficult par-5 18th.  You wouldn't see that for more than a couple of holes on any real links.

My favorite hole was the short par-4 on the back -- I think it was the 14th -- which looks like a driveable par-4 from the tee but is actually quite a bit more complex once you get out in the landing area.  I got away with a stupid tee shot there because I didn't know any better!  I also liked how many of those back-nine holes going away from the clubhouse line up with the iconic round building down the coast, or use it as a reference marker at one point when you've got a blind shot from the fairway on a par-5.

Tom,

My sister lives in Dubai so I was visiting her and of all the courses out there Yas Links was the one I wanted to see the most so we made the short drive down the coast. I've played a couple of the courses in Dubai  and although nice enough and all in excellent condition I haven't been overly impressed by the architecture, Yas Links seems to offer something abit different and new for the UAE. I wanted to visit the mosque there as well as I'm told it's spectacular but we only had time for the golf this time around. Next time I think I'll try to squeeze the mosque and Saadiyat Beach into one day!

You have pretty much echoed my thoughts on the course and I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment on the separation of the holes. I thought at times the shaping and size of the dunes was too big and abit over the top, I just wanted some flat land for a moment or two and some space. A few more glimpses across to the shore from the inland back nine holes would have been nice as well, I thought 11,12 and 15 felt abit too corridor like. They have definitely made great use of the 'biscuit' building (it's the headquarters for Aldar, the state owned construction company who built Yas Links and a few other state owned companies - my brother-in-law used to work there.) and Ferrari World as back drops to the holes, it's a pity about the new water park which is a complete eyesore unfortunately.

I completely agree about the 14th as you will see when I get around to posting the back nine (it's all written up but I thought I'd leave some space for a comment or two) though as the strategy is so obvious once you get down to the landing zone after the first play I wonder whether it will become abit stale after a few plays? A really cool front to the green though and a great hole none the less. The holes that intrigue me abit more are the 5th and particularly the 6th, I think with a few different pin positions and plays they could reveal some interesting golf.

I too had loads of fun and coming down 18 wanted to go out for a few more holes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:55:52 PM by Tom Kelly »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
This project reminds me of Whistling Straits as much as it does Kingsbarn, particularly the routing (figure 8ish with holes almost all running parallel with rather than perpendicular to the shoreline. Has anyone played both that could address similarities  and differences between these courses?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:27:12 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »
Thanks, Tom.

This course caught my eye when Golf Digest put it in Top 100 international.  Since then I've been very interested to hear people's take on it.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
I think it's magnificent, the first truly world class course in the Middle East (and they're still using my quote to that effect in their PR!). It is built largely out of fill dredged from the Gulf, which meant Kyle was able to design the coastline so he could best route golf holes down it.

It's paspalum iirc, and I know they're determined to make it as fast as they can, but it is aways going to be tricky.

I understand what Tom D says about the influence of the water, but bearing in mind how much golfers love coastline holes it's hard to criticise a place for having too many!

My only real quibble is the home hole, which I think is too long and difficult. I foresee lots of golfers coming off there with an X, having dumped two balls in the Gulf - not a positive finish to the round!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:04:46 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Thanks for the tour Tom. 

I tried to book some accommodation opposite the course a few months ago with the intention of having a game there.  Unfortunately they were booked out due to the Grand Prix which actually turned out to be fortunate as our stop-over was in Dubai, not Abu Dhabi.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Brian,

Yes it played pretty fast and firm, though not quite hard fescue links fast and firm. The course was in immaculate condition.

Adam,

I agree the 18th is too hard, my ball didn't even get wet and I made what might as well have been an X after 17 holes of fairly good golf!

On to the back nine.

10th:

A short 4 with a  few options off the tee and the backdrop of the new F1 track. Plenty of space left but take on the bunkering up the right and you'll be left with a short pitch into the green.

11th:

Solid par 5, running along a valley then uphill to the green. What seem to me like the sensible and safer play with the second down the left side leaves a semi blind approach from a deep depression behind a dune.

12th:

Another interesting centreline bunker protections the ideal line from the tee, the 'biscuit' building provides a sensible target in the distance. The green is a double one joined back to back with the 15th. Anything too far left is in serious trouble.

13th:

The short cover photo par 3 13th is more coastline eye candy. Aim at the 'biscuit' again?

14th:

On first impressions this is probably my favourite hole on the course. Short par 4 with a green tucked in behind a mound/bunker protecting the front left. Tons of room left but a poor angle in, very tight up the preferred right side. Possibly driveable but the danger all around is severe. Interesting green with a big roll in the front portion making approaches awkward.

15th:

Long par 4 turning back towards the clubhouse. Big heaving fairway with an long uphill approach shot to the double green.

16th:

The homeward stretch begins, with great views along the coast to the clubhouse and the unmistakable Ferrari World dominating the skyline making for a pretty unusual mix. By this time the wind was really starting to blow after a fairly calm morning and front nine. Again plenty of room on the less favoured side of the fairway, a sneaky hidden centreline bunker makes you commit to the bailout or aggressive tee shot. Prime position is tight to the left bunker and coastline as the green is protected by a large bank leading up to the 17th tee along it's right hand side making approaches awkward from the right.

17th:

Long par 3 across open water playing straight into a stern wind, luckily I hit my best shot of the day that was even caught on camera, before proceeding to miss the birdie putt!

18th:

After my great golf at 17 it quickly went down hill at the long 18th......With the wind more from the left and into the drive was really hard to commit to (my excuse anyhow). There is some space right but not much. The strategy up the left is similar to 16. If you find the fairway the second is slightly reminiscent of 12 at Kingsbarns. As the fairway narrows it's a case of how far do you dare go, whilst yet another centreline bunker makes the conservative play more interesting. It's a big green that could hold some interesting looking pin positions near the back.

All in all a very good golf course that's great fun. If you're in the area I would definitely recommend it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:23:56 PM by Tom Kelly »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
Wow!  This is well beyond what I have pictured for golf in the middle east.  Almost has a Bayonne look to it??  (if anyone has played both, I would love your input)  If I'm over there on business, this one will surely be at the top of my list of courses to play.

Looking forward to the back nine!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
They have definitely made great use of the 'biscuit' building (it's the headquarters for Aldar, the state owned construction company who built Yas Links and a few other state owned companies - my brother-in-law used to work there.)

The lady I played with called it the 'compact' building (because it looks like a make-up case).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
I think it's magnificent, the first truly world class course in the Middle East (and they're still using my quote to that effect in their PR!). It is built largely out of fill dredged from the Gulf, which meant Kyle was able to design the coastline so he could best route golf holes down it.

It's paspalum iirc, and I know they're determined to make it as fast as they can, but it is aways going to be tricky.

I understand what Tom D says about the influence of the water, but bearing in mind how much golfers love coastline holes it's hard to criticise a place for having too many!

My only real quibble is the home hole, which I think is too long and difficult. I foresee lots of golfers coming off there with an X, having dumped two balls in the Gulf - not a positive finish to the round!

I agree about the 18th.  The water comes in so much on the second shot that most golfers have to hit way to the right -- almost away from the green -- leaving a long and semi-blind third shot.  And that's if you realize where you need to play -- the carry is deceptive so there must be lots of balls in the water.  The couple I played with both made double digits on the hole.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
Tom, thanks very much for this - a great addition to the archives for sure. It really does look a class above the Dubai courses although I must say I have a soft spot for the Emirates which is a very solid course.

Did it play firm and fast? I would have thought not given the watering requirements but I heard from others who have played it that it was pretty decent on that front?

Brian,

I think I will have to stump up the hefty green fee for the Majilis before my Sister moves on from Dubai which I guess will be in the next few years. I played the Faldo Course (at night which was quite a weird experience with the skyscrapers all lit up around you) this time around and wasn't that impressed but the Majillis definitely looked more interesting. I played the par 3 too which was a fun way to spend an hour or two. Saadiyat Beach looks like it could be good and it seemed most of the (expat) locals thought the Earth course was the best in Dubai, any thoughts on it?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
BTW, nice Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
BTW, nice Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype!

Mark

Someone's got sharp eyes!

It's my pride and joy.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
Just looking again at Tom's photos and comparing it to some from my visit there, almost three years go, and I think they have cleaned up the bunker detailing quite a bit in that time - they were much rougher and more 'natural' when I was there.

Tom and Tom - the other thing I really loved about 14 was the back tee, just a step off the previous green. It was 39C when I played, so not within my comfort zone for walking (!) but I loved the way Kyle has designed it for the walker. That is very unusual in the Middle East.
Adam Lawrence

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Tom,

I've enjoyed this tour and I like the look of the the holes themselves. I also reckon that 'biscuit' building would look really good with a bite size chunk taken out of it!

How firm and fast do the fairways play? For example, can you finess a delicate little mid-iron bump and run landing it in the fairway grass a few feet short of a green and letting it release onto the green or if you attempt this does shot does the ball kinda die and not roll forwards much at all?

Nice tour. Many thanks.

All the best.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »
Tom

That's a terrific photo tour.  Thanks for taking the time to post it for us.

The course looks very good...and very difficult!  Given my own experiences in Bahrain and the difficulty we had sourcing the water for the desert wastes I shudder to think what the irrigation system for the roughs must use in a day.  Did you trek out into the roughs?  What was the grass type and was it riddled with irrigation heads?

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Tom Kelly

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
Thomas,

The turf is little 'stickier' than fescue but the ground is firm enough to run balls in if played with the right trajectory, too much spin though and ball does hold a touch more on the approaches than it would on fesuce. That said I think given the climate it is as fast and firm as you could hope for without playing on dirt.

Robin,

Thanks.

Other than the final stretch playing into the strong prevailing wind I found most of the course to be very playable and not overly difficult, though if you put yourself in the wrong place you could easily rack up a big score. The rough being the obvious example, get lucky on sand and you had an easy shot but find one of the grasses and you were dead as my Dad found out.....

I don't know the specific type but this is probably the best photo (above) I have of the rough close up, though of a particularly dense area. It was mainly a 'wiregrass' type of plant that when more in-play was more sparsely planted with lots of sand showing, (the photo of the 11th tee shot is a good example with thicker lusher grass around the tee but sparse areas on show up the right side).

I hadn't really considered the rough being irrigated but now you mention it I do recall seeing a head whilst on my adventures out into the desert on 18 in what seemed like the middle of nowhere that I thought was odd, so perhaps it is all irrigated? Around the tees, walkways/carts paths between greens and tees and the clubhouse areas it was was far lusher. I have heard the plan is just to let it go wild outside the second cut so I would guess they don't want to water it too much otherwise it would all become unplayable. Even so the water usage must be through the roof!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:26:54 PM by Tom Kelly »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
So as not to start a new thread, played here yesterday and was fabulous as usual.  Love 17 and 18, but the 2nd shot on 18 is such a conundrum it is hard to figure out what to do.  Actually I hit the green on 17, which was my proudest moment.
I did like the runoff areas around the green, but some also have higher bumps which will funnel your off line shot onto the green.  I didn't think the green undulations were unfair at all, I don't know what the greens were rolling, but very putt able.
As is the case in the ME, when you play golf you run into some very successful or highly accomplished people and yesterday was no different in that I played with 2 guys who were probably on the Forbes list of wealth (1 for sure).  I didn't even know until we had a drink in the clubhouse (which is VERY nice) afterwards. 

Have to get to Dubai to play the Trump course to compare as that seems to be highly regarded.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
Tom

That's a terrific photo tour.  Thanks for taking the time to post it for us.

The course looks very good...and very difficult!  Given my own experiences in Bahrain and the difficulty we had sourcing the water for the desert wastes I shudder to think what the irrigation system for the roughs must use in a day.  Did you trek out into the roughs?  What was the grass type and was it riddled with irrigation heads?

Robin

Rob -- I missed this post five years ago, but it my understanding that the irrigation system has over 5,000 heads and was, at the time it was installed, more than twice as big as any other decoder-based system that Toro had installed, anywhere in the world.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back