News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

A Very Unique, Long Overdue Golf Book
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
I just finished reading Pro's Pros by our own Joel Zuckerman, which profiles thirty club professionals in the United States.  I have been fortunate to have met some of the pros in this book and really enjoyed all the stories.  The Bob Ford chapter is an instant favorite and many here will enjoy the Fred Muller, Jim Langley and Phil Owenby write ups.  I personally was happy to read about Gary Hobgood's operation in Wilson, North Carolina, a town I used to spend a lot of time in. 

These days I am happy to see any golf book published, but I am especially excited to see one that celebrates the club professionals of golf make it to the shelves. 

Jim_Kennedy

Re: A Very Unique, Long Overdue Golf Book
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
Joel sent me a 'sneak' preview of the book a couple of months ago. The profiles make for interesting reads and there should be something in this book for everyone to enjoy.

Well done Joel.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
Mark,

Not to state the obvious, but Bob Ford has long had one of the very best gigs in professional golf. He also has a great golf swing.
Tim Weiman

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Where are copies available?

WW

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Knowing that my words will read like a spoiled and jealous child, onward I press...

From the few professionals mentioned here and in Joel's tease, I see great clubs, wealthy memberships and very fortunate pros who know how to play "the game" on the highest level.

Does Joel profile any professionals from less-affluent clubs or even (gasp) municipal courses?

Before/After you chastise me, here's my perspective. When asked, I indicate that I teach at a school in Buffalo. It's a prep school and the kids are very different from many of the ones who attend public school in the Black Rock, Fruit Belt, South Park and Masten sections of the city. Am I a teacher in Buffalo? Yes. Am I a Buffalo teacher? No.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Yes, check out Happy Valley in Wilson, NC for starters. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Well, unique and long overdue it seems.  That and Mark's last response to Ron's excellent question, has me looking forward to it. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
I too have a copy of the book, Joel was kind to let me order one early.  I quickly read about 2/3 of it when my father confiscated it from me.  Being biased I was excited to read about my father's "fourth best junior golfer" Brett Upper, however I found the rest of the profiles just as interesting.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
Cool.  Just ordered a copy as a gift to my pro.

Thanks.

WW

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
This is a great idea.  Who are the other pro's and how did Joel choose the pro's.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
Thank you for all the support and all the interest in my new book, I appreciate it.  This discussion group was helpful in fleshing out the final roster. I started a thread about a year ago titled great club professionals. There were dozens of responses, and I ended up contacting at least four or five of the gentlemen recommended in that thread.

If anyone would like to see a three chapter preview of my new book just respond to this thread with your email address and I will send it to you as an attached document shortly. This is a 45 page look at the book, cover material, all ancillary material, table of contents etc. After examining it you will have a very good understanding of this project I have undertaken.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
Joel:

I was reading a book lately on successful managing and they listed the following.

1. Represent and instill integrity in the company and his/her department
2. Seek continuous improvement in the products or services offered by his/her department
3. Create a positive work environment and culture of respect for one another
4. Lead by example…work just as hard as the rest of his/her team
5. Communicate in an open and effective manor
6. Constantly seek good ideas for his/her team
7. Have a positive attitude – a can-do attitude
8. Demonstrate passion and knowledge of what his/her department has to offer

This would have to be the same for a pro I would suspect?  What separates a great pro from a good pro?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
5. Communicate in an open and effective manor

Joel S, great tyop. I love when pros are located in open and effective manors, like the Berckman manor / ANGC clubhouse for example. It makes communicating so much more enjoyable.  :)
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
Joel, would love to see a sample.  billmcb320@yahoo.com

Thanks.

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
I'd also like to see a sample--jevensky@aol.com.

Thanks.

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
Would love to read the sample as well: patccraig@gmail.com
H.P.S.

William_G

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
thanks Joel
It's all about the golf!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
Joel:

This would have to be the same for a pro I would suspect?  What separates a great pro from a good pro?

Joel--As I am not a pro myself, I don't feel qualified to answer that question.  I will tell you that of the 30 men and women featured in my new book, almost all of them have one trait in common.  Longevity.  IMO, that is part of what makes them extraordinary, if not iconic.

Here are the opening lines of a chapter from the book...the same sentiment applies to many/most within the text.  (not all..)

Most club pros approach their careers the way an accomplished chess player looks at the chessboard; they are continually anticipating their next move.
      Laurie Hammer wasn't wired that way. Though other opportunities came his way from time to time, he chose to spend more than 40 years at Delray Dunes in Boynton Beach, Florida, before retiring in 2010. His was and remains a rich legacy; of professional accomplishment, enduring friendships, personal satisfaction, wonderful memories, but tragically, also a deep sense of loss.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
Hello, they got that longevity as a result of their great work and solid relationships.  Longevity isn't a trait, it's an outcome.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
I would love to get a peak.  rmacpga@gmail.com

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:49 AM »
Congratulations, Joel.   I had the pleasure of playing Streamsong Red with Joel a couple months ago, and found him to be a fine playing partner.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Thanks for sending that Joel.  I read the first few chapters and I am very impressed.  I was a PGA professional for a numbers of years out of college and I think it is long overdue to give the unsung heroes of golf some credit.  I learned so much in the business and there are many days that I wish I could get back in.  Reality is that for many club pros it is a labor of love and the hours are long and pay is short.  The question was asked, "What separates a great pro from an good pro?"   In my opinion a lot comes down to their legacy.  You see it in the discussion on Bob Ford.  His greatest source of pride is the family tree of top PGA pros that got their start under him.  I had the pleasure of working for a similar pro in my area and he took great pride in teaching us how to be the best in a tough job.  He was tough when needed but always took the time to put us in situations that allowed us to shine and get credit when he could.  He wanted us to get ready and get out to start our own tree.  It isnt rocket science or different from other industries.  Thanks again for the sample and I will be purchasing the book and advertising to my other current and former PGA friends.   

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »
Knowing that my words will read like a spoiled and jealous child, onward I press...

From the few professionals mentioned here and in Joel's tease, I see great clubs, wealthy memberships and very fortunate pros who know how to play "the game" on the highest level.

Does Joel profile any professionals from less-affluent clubs or even (gasp) municipal courses?

RonMon--Pardon me for not responding sooner.  While there about 10-12 pros profiled out of the 30 total that are "accessible" in the usual sense, there are two main reasons the book skews more towards "the high and mighty," one personal, the other professional.

Like all of us, I attempt to take on projects with the best chance of financial success--in this case, reaching the widest possible audience.  While there are doubtless hundreds of fine muni and semi-private pros working today, my best chance of reaching a wider audience is to highlight the "Mt. Rushmore" type pros--Bob Ford, Mike Harmon, Darrell Kestner, Jim Langley, Randy Smith et al, whose names are better known amongst the cognoscenti---which is my core audience.

From a personal standpoint, and like many of you I imagine---given the choice I would rather wear a Rolex than a Timex, drive a Beemer, not a "beater," etc.  So given the access/opportunity to meet/befriend/profile the Phil Owenbys, Bill Safrins, John McNeelys and Suzy Whaleys of the world....I took it!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Congratulations, Joel.   I had the pleasure of playing Streamsong Red with Joel a couple months ago, and found him to be a fine playing partner.

Why does the phrase Chatterbox Cafe' pop into my head when I read this post?

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back