News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Public golf in Florida
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »
I just returned from a four day trip to Florida.  I don't go there very often anymore.  The primary reason I went was to play Streamsong and stay a couple of days with a friend at Black Diamond.  There has been enough said about Streamsong.  While there we played a couple of daily fee courses: Juliet Falls, which started out as private, and World Woods.  You can tee it up at those two facilities for about $50.  At Juliet Falls they will even throw in a burger.  I don't know how other publics are faring or what they are charging but if I were to take a golf trip to Florida I'd play World Woods before returning to Streamsong.

Maybe Streamsong will succeed because it caters to a wealthier clientele. I sure don't see many Floridians making the trip when there are other good options.  The day we played Juliet Falls we also played the very upscale private Golden Ocala.  The course at Juliet Falls is of similar quality as Ocala.  I sure hope Streamsong makes it because it is so good.

What are other daily fee courses charging and what is there quality?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Public golf in Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
Tommy

I was in Coral Springs in Feb and we played a round of golf.  As it happens there were three former Jackie Gleason/Honda courses availlable (TPC/McCumber, Eagle Trace/Hills, and Inverarry/Jones) While Eagle Trace still had high fees, the other two were for $45, so your experience seems similar.  For that $45 I got a course that was certainly faded from its former glory, maintenance wise, but I wanted a chance to see where JN chipped in on five straight holes......and I had played the other two on earlier trips.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
Jeff,
While he did birdie the last 5 holes, he only chipped in on 14 and 16.
I actually watched it (but I'll admit I had to Google it to see which holes he chipped in on)

Lots of decent cheap golf in Florida, particularly Central Florida.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
I just returned from a four day trip to Florida.  I don't go there very often anymore.  The primary reason I went was to play Streamsong and stay a couple of days with a friend at Black Diamond.  There has been enough said about Streamsong.  While there we played a couple of daily fee courses: Juliet Falls, which started out as private, and World Woods.  You can tee it up at those two facilities for about $50.  At Juliet Falls they will even throw in a burger.  I don't know how other publics are faring or what they are charging but if I were to take a golf trip to Florida I'd play World Woods before returning to Streamsong.

Maybe Streamsong will succeed because it caters to a wealthier clientele. I sure don't see many Floridians making the trip when there are other good options.  The day we played Juliet Falls we also played the very upscale private Golden Ocala.  The course at Juliet Falls is of similar quality as Ocala.  I sure hope Streamsong makes it because it is so good.

What are other daily fee courses charging and what is there quality?

Hi Tommy

So glad you had a great time at Juliette Falls,  that is an amazing layout.  I am making a trip back down that way end of May, that course is at the top of the list. 

There are so many courses in the Brooksville area, and what amazing deals.  World Woods of course.  There is also a private Dye course, Southern Hills, that is pretty easy to get onto.  There is also Lake Jovita, which has 36 holes, Brooksville CC, Silverthorn, the Dunes, and the list goes on and on.  Golden Ocala is private, and yes another great layout.

And it is amazing that many courses in Florida are now throwing in lunch, and offer free rounds around your birthday, and don't require the ultimate stupidity in golf, forecaddies.  Really resent them being forced on me.  You want one fine, not for me!!!!!

Will be down that way end of May, early June.  Anyone want to play a round or two, send me a message!   

J Cabarcos

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
FYI  Streamsong starting May 1st will have adjusted green fees for both Red and Blue course of $75 for FLA residents, and $135 for who envy to have Florida residency : )  After that you just got to factor transportation costs to get to the backwoods.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
Why the $60 difference??
Cave Nil Vino

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
Because the locals won't come for $135.

If it's any comfort, the price goes down to $60 and $115 from June through September.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:57:01 PM »
I will be curious to see how much play Streamsong gets in the summer.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

J Cabarcos

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
The difference in price appears to follow the Disney World formula.  Out of Stater get raked because they will only be coming once in a blue moon, the In Stater live here nearby and are prone to be repeat customers if the price is right.

$ 60 is going to be a steal, so long as you can deal well with Florida's summer heat and humidity.  I'll take the $75 for the month of May because temps average around than mid 80s.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Because the locals won't come for $135.

I agree completely.  I think an additional aspect is that many Floridians host out-of-town guests throughout the year and are very influential in those guests' choices of where to go and what to do.

As J Cabarcos noted, Disney has this down to a formula.  Another example is Busch Gardens, where Floridians pay for one day and are allowed to come for free during the rest of the year.  That makes it very easy for residents to recommend it to guests.  I imagine that golf courses could benefit from a similar (though less generous) deal.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »
Not many true locals to market to. SS is bascially a day trip for most, 7 hour program at a minimum from a decent population base.

They would be well served to develop some packages with one night included and up to 54 holes of golf. Maybe some 2 night stuff as well.

There will not be many, certainly not enough, residents willing to invest 7+ hours in a round of golf when, in the minds of most, there is plenty of serviceable golf at their doorstep.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with and how it works.

The current offer is pretty vanilla and still the most expensive option around. Have to get creative.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »
Not many true locals to market to. SS is bascially a day trip for most, 7 hour program at a minimum from a decent population base.

They would be well served to develop some packages with one night included and up to 54 holes of golf. Maybe some 2 night stuff as well.

There will not be many, certainly not enough, residents willing to invest 7+ hours in a round of golf when, in the minds of most, there is plenty of serviceable golf at their doorstep.

The current offer is pretty vanilla and still the most expensive option around. Have to get creative.

If I lived in the Tampa area and I could play SS for $60 in the off season...that would be my home away from home from May-September. I wouldn't think twice about the hour drive to play those 2 courses over staying closer to home and playing something far inferior. If they were just marginally better then it's a tougher sell but they just simply blow the competition away.

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Fl....almost.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:31 AM »

Greg,

The public golf market in the Tampa area is surprisingly poor.   Very few options in the immediate area.  When you are looking for a higher end option, you have Innisbrook, TPC Tampa Bay, Lake Jovita and World Woods.  All at least a 40 minute drive from downtown.   

The fact that SS can be accessed in 55 minutes is a no brainer when compared to the courses listed above.   

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:52:51 AM »
The other issue with Streamsong and local area golfers is the mandatory fore caddy for those taking carts.  Streamsong will be absolutely brutal hot in the summer and I would guess 95% of the play will be with carts.  So, even with the reduced rates of $80 in May and $60 in the summer, you still have to add a cart fee and a fore caddy fee (at least $25 per person).  That $60 fee is deceptively low...you will most likely pay around $100 (unless the cart fee is included in the $60 greens fee).

Getting FL residents (esp. locals) to make repeat visits in the warmest months of the year will be difficult as they will be hesitant to pay $100+ in fees.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
Ben & Chris,

Do you think you guys are the norm? In terms of architectural knowledge, course preference or willingness to devote considerable time to seek out and frequent world class golf? Don't forget what we see as world class many, especially many in Florida, will see as silly or goofy golf.

I do have a tiny bit of experience when offering up such an evaluation having operated golf at virtually every level and having lived in the immediate area.

The issue is getting the average guy who is used to paying $20 during the off season to 1) pay 3x more; 2) add 1 to 2 hours to his golfing day in doing so and 3) do it frequently enough to where the rate reduction can be viewed as a success by the operator.

I can assure you this is a very big challenge and the highest folks at Kemper know exactly what they are up against.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back