News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

Solicited advice welcome.
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
Gentlemen,
I am tripping around the UK and have a flexible number of days to play golf on.  I am thinking of smaller courses of beauty and fun rather than the famous big guns.
As of yet nothing is set in stone so feel free to deride my initial thoughts (other than Leven and Brahan of course!!) and make any suggestions you think fit.

Highlands-Tomintoul   - 25/07 ---- 02/08   (9 days, 5 to 6 golf)
Bonar Bridge
Brahan - Jon Wiggett
Boat o' Garten
Forres
Grantown-on-Spey
Royal Dornoch

Tayside-Fife         - 04/08 ---- 14/08   (11 days, 4 to 5 golf)
Monifieth
Montrose
Stonehaven
Rosemount
Leven

Epsom-Surrey      - 24/08 ---- 26/08   and 09/09 ---- 10/09 (5 days, 1 to 2 golf)
Possible 2 days of golf so any suggestions are welcome. I have no idea of courses in this neck of the woods.

Burwash-E. Sussex   - 30/08 ---- 04/09   (6 days, 2 to 3 golf)
Possible 2 or 3 days of golf and happy to drive to coast.
Littlestone
Rye ... a treat to myself!?
Another wee gem?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

Re: Solicited advice welcome.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »
If you're playing the felicitous duo of Rye and Littlestone  ;D. you should try to get in a round at Deal as well.  And there are some solid holes on the second course at Rye as well. 

If you're playing Leven then Lundin Links and Elie are not to be missed. 

If you're playing Dornoch then Golspie and Brora are not to be missed. 

I'm jealous!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:27 AM »
Crowborough or Piltdown in Sussex. Knole Park when you are in Epsom.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:46:08 AM »
Colin,

alot depends on how far you are willing to drive. As bill says Golspie is worth playing as is Brora. Wick is also a cracking course though further north but worth the drivr IMO. I can also recommend Portmahomack (9 holes) and Fortrose (18 hole). If you are playing BoG and Grantown then think about tacking Abernethy and Carrbridge on which are two super 9 holers both playable in just over an hour. Also Moray Old is worth a play as is adding on Covesea afterwards.

I am looking forward to welcoming you at Brahan :)

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
Colin -

As mentioned above, Brora and Golspie are well worth a visit. Fortrose & Rosemarkie is one of the most remarkable settings for a golf course I have ever seen. 

While Castle Stuart might not fit the purpose of your overall agenda, I would highly recommend stopping by to at least take a look. Have a beer and a bowl of chili in the clubhouse and admire the spectacular view.

DT

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
Echo David's comments above about Brora and Golspie. Also suggest Tain and Portmahomack plus Fortrose & Rosemarkie. Have heard good things about Fort Augustus as well but not played it myself (yet).

Have a great time wherever you decide to play.

All the best

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
Thomas,

Fort Augustus is a gem of a course. Indeed, there are many really good, quirky, fun to play 9 holers in the Highlands to play.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »
Colin

Sorry I'm not going to be meeting up with you in the Highlands this year. I hope you enjoy yourself.

As you probably know, Tomintoul is a fair distance from the likes of RD/Golspie/Tain etc so unless your staying overnight up that way you might end up doing a lot of driving for your day trips if your seriously thinking of playing all those courses as well as Brahan.

Within an easier distance you have the "local" courses such as B of G, Grantown, Dufftown, Kingussie, Newtonmore, Nethybirdge, Carrbridge and Ballindalloch Castle with the last 3 being 9 holers. All come into the small and local golf club category. Most are fairly scenic as well, and all are very well priced. B of G is the best in most people's opinion and I wouldn't disagree. All are fairly playable although I'd warn you that Dufftown involves some serious hill climbing.

Slightly farther afield are the courses near or on the Moray coast. The best of those are Elgin, Moray Old and in my opinion at least Duff House Royal. Cullen is short and quirky, while Strathlene and Buckpool, on the cliffs either side of Buckie just provide some great holiday golf.

Email me if you need any more info.

Niall

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
Gentlemen,

Just bringing this to the head of the queue to say thank you to all who have responded here and by IM.

The suggestions and ideas have been excellent and has made it very much easier for me to play my way around The Highlands, Sutherland, Epsom and East Sussex. 

The list of smaller courses, quite a few nine-holers, is simply gorgeous. Ideal for our holiday where a 2-hour round of nine holes can be had once or twice a day on quite separate greens!

Royal Dornoch looks as though it will happen and by staying overnight Fortrose and Rosemarkie can be tackled the next day as we return to Tomintoul to savour exquisite hieland golf. I can certainly make myself a real golfing bummel of a holiday by incorporating just a few of the terrific suggestions.

Tayside will probably take care of itself as I know the region much better than elsewhere but I'm pretty sure I can lock in Leven.

As for the Sassenachs!  The ideas and offers have been great and I would never have found the courses you have suggested. Reigate sounds neat and I will follow up on the other "smaller" suggestions.

I will be in touch with the gents who IM'd me but many thanks to all.

Cheers Colin
The Hielander

Mark Alexander

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
Colin,

It looks as if you are in for quite a trip - give me a shout when you make it down to Fife.
I hope this doesn't muddy the waters, but can I suggest a cheeky trip Comrie in Perthshire? It's a nine-holer that I shot last summer and I think it is wonderful.

Here's some pics to whet your appetite - http://www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk/ComrieGC/

You should also find galleries of some of the other courses mentioned on this thread.
Let me know what you think.

Mark

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »
Mark,

Excellent stuff. Your photos make my heart sing! Comrie may well get a visit as it is just the ticket in regards to a quick nine while the lassies check out Loch Earn/St. Fillans, beautiful scenery, and then we all head back to Cafe Tabou in Perth for a very fine lunch!

I see your address is Newtown of Falkland. That is remarkable as my grandparents had a couple of cottages that they lived in just a few hundred metres from the centre of Falkland proper. Many a trip made out from Dundee to visit in the '60s. My Dad used to entertain the captive audience on the ferry across The Tay by playing his violin non-stop (then facetiously passing a cap around ....and people used to contribute!!) whilst we kids cringed and hid anywhere we could! Happy days.

We will probably  get in touch as a visit to Falkland Palace is on the cards.

Cheers and thanks,
Colin
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back