News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Alexander

Scotland's best golf experiences
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
Dear all,

For your viewing pleasure, here are the top 20 best golf experiences as voted for by Bunkered readers (a link to the website is posted below). Do you agree? St Andrews down at 5 beaten to fourth spot by Aberdour. No North Berwick, but the Glen GC gets 10th spot.

Not sure of the criteria, but the ranking was "designed to identify and celebrate the golfing venues in Scotland that offer visitors a truly memorable day out, as opposed to just an excellent golf course".

Let it begin!

1. Turnberry Resort, Ayrshire
2. Kingsbarns Golf Links, Fife
3. The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire
4. Aberdour Golf Club, Fife
5. St Andrews Links, Fife
6. Archerfield Links, East Lothian
7. Castle Stuart Golf Links, Highlands
8. Royal Dornoch Golf Club, Highlands
9. Gullane Golf Club, East Lothian
10. The Glen Golf Club, North Berwick
11. The Duke's St Andrews, Fife
12. Dundonald Links, Ayrshire
13. Tain Golf Club, Highlands
14. Cruden Bay Golf Club, Aberdeenshire
15. Crail Golfing Society, Fife
16. Carnoustie Golf Links, Angus
17. Fairmont St Andrews, Fife
18. Ladybank Golf Club, Fife
19. Murcar Links Golf Club, Aberdeenshire
20. Blairgowrie Golf Club, Perthshire

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/index.php?cID=1924

Mark Pearce

Re: Scotland's best golf experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
Genuinely one of the most bonkers golf lists I have ever seen.  Since this was voted for by readers I assume that the members of Aberdour have been busy voting on-line.  Perhaps Sir Rihcard of Goodale can enlighten us.  I suppose, of course, that it rather depends on what a "golf experience" counts as but having spent a day at Turnberry last week (and having enjoyed the course a lot) I can report that I can think of several "golf experiences" in Scotland that beat it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
Any list of 20 Scottish courses that doesn't include Prestwick can't be taken seriously.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
An, um, rather ‘interesting’ listing. Quite a bit of eye candy, not many minor classics and no mention of Trump Aberdeen (whoooops!, apologies, my fingers just slipped!)

Out of curiosity I did a little academic exercise to see what one 18-hole round on each of these would cost, high season, weekend rate – the total is £2,220

In case your don't believe me here’s the course/18-hole price breakdown.

1. Turnberry Resort, Ayshire, Ailsa course - £199
2. Kingsbarns Golf Links, Fife - £195
3. The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire - £160
4. Aberdour Golf Club, Fife - £40
5. St Andrews Links, Fife TOC - £155
6. Archerfield Links, East Lothian Visitor Experience - £180
7. Castle Stuart Golf Links, Highlands - £175
8. Royal Dornoch Golf Club, Highlands - £110
9. Gullane Golf Club, East Lothian No 2 - £48
10. The Glen Golf Club, North Berwick - £61
11. The Duke's St Andrews, Fife - £120
12. Dundonald Links, Ayrshire - £95
13. Tain Golf Club, Highlands - £50
14. Cruden Bay Golf Club, Aberdeenshire - £90
15. Crail Golfing Society, Fife - £75
16. Carnoustie Golf Links, Angus Championship - £147
17. Fairmont St Andrews, Fife Torrance - £100
18. Ladybank Golf Club, Fife - £64
19. Murcar Links Golf Club, Aberdeenshire - £96
20. Blairgowrie Golf Club, Perthshire - £60

Obviously there are deals to be had, out of season and midweek times to be played, club open competitions to be entered etc but that's some serious £$£$.

Where would you like to play if suddenly left £2,220 in the will of an elderly relative provided you spend it playing 18-holes at a weekend in the summer season to “celebrate the golfing venues in Scotland that offer visitors a truly memorable day out, as opposed to just an excellent golf course"?

All the best
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:07:14 AM by Thomas Dai »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
Genuinely one of the most bonkers golf lists I have ever seen.  Since this was voted for by readers I assume that the members of Aberdour have been busy voting on-line.  Perhaps Sir Rihcard of Goodale can enlighten us.  I suppose, of course, that it rather depends on what a "golf experience" counts as but having spent a day at Turnberry last week (and having enjoyed the course a lot) I can report that I can think of several "golf experiences" in Scotland that beat it.

Mark

One can argue that Aberdour has the finest views (from both clubhouse and course) of any venue in Scotland, but after that the experience is modest at best.  The writer might possibly have gotten trapped in Aberdour's "Bermuda Triangle" (which is defined by the three pubs in the center of the town) and been fed beer, whisky and bullshit by certain locals who shall not be named, but who are well known to Ward Peyronin and a few select others....

Sir Rhixclard of Goodbeer
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
Rich,

More interesting would be a list of best local Scottish beers and whiskeys to imbibe in said triangle..
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »
The people, in their infinite wisdom, have spoken. ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
Rich,

More interesting would be a list of best local Scottish beers and whiskeys to imbibe in said triangle..

JT

Scottish beers are mostly crap (except for those produced by www.brewdog.com) but they are plentiful as are the whiskies (which, of course, are world class).  In the Aberdour BT you can buy anything except your soul, and the bullshit is free (if not always intelligible).

RG
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
Rihc,

There are a number of interesting Scottish craft breweries.  Fyne Ales, Tempest, Alloa Brewery (Williams Brothers) and Saltaire all make at least interesting, frequently excellent beer.  Then, of course, there is Harviestoun, whose Bitter and Twisted and Schiehallion are both very good.  Of course most Scottish pubs don't serve any of these, leaving us to drink crap.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
Deuchars IPA is a splendid pint and pretty widely available. Second Mark's support for Bitter and Twisted - really delicious.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
Help me out please, I've forgotten what's so memorable about the golfing experience at Ladybank?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »
Any list of 20 Scottish courses that doesn't include Prestwick can't be taken seriously.

How many other Scottish courses have you played, including the ones on that list, that you can make that statement with any kind of certainty ?

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
Rihc,

There are a number of interesting Scottish craft breweries.  Fyne Ales, Tempest, Alloa Brewery (Williams Brothers) and Saltaire all make at least interesting, frequently excellent beer.  Then, of course, there is Harviestoun, whose Bitter and Twisted and Schiehallion are both very good.  Of course most Scottish pubs don't serve any of these, leaving us to drink crap.

Yes, Bitter & Twisted, or as it's known in Glasgow a "Neil Lennon".

The number of craft brewers opening up in Scotland is quite incredible. In my time in Moray I let a couple of industrial units to two different craft brewers, one of which is Speyside Craft Brewery which does an excellent IPA and lager. As for Brewdog, much of their product is on par with the Badgers Piss that Rich was trying to fob off to everyone at the Silloth Beer Festival. Living next door to the Brewdog pub in Glasgow, I can vouch for the effect on those that imbibe Punk IPA and such like.

Niall

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
Who am I to argue with others lists, but I will say with absolute certainty that the cheeseburger at Turnberry was the best I've ever had. And the golf? Truly one of the most memorable rounds I've experienced. Even without being able to see the Ailsa Craig! I hope to see many more on this list before my time is up.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:03:19 PM by Eric Smith »

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing memorable about a day of golf at North Berwick. Especially compared to the venerable Torrance course at St. Andrews.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
Who am I to argue with others lists, but I will say with absolute certainty that the cheeseburger at Turnberry was the best I've ever had. And the golf? Truly one of the most memorable rounds I've experienced. Even without being able to see the Ailsa Craig! I hope to see many more on this list before my time is up.
The food's good at Turnberry, for sure.  And the course is very good.  A day at Turnberry on Monday was, however, blown out of the water by a day at Prestwick on the Tuesday.  That's a proper golf experience.  Being the last four in the bar and contributing to their already absurd consumption of Kummel after a couple of rounds on a course that is great in a visceral way that Turnberry doesn't quite achieve.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Have I read the list right - no Muirfield?  Tell me, what is a better experience than Muirfield other than TOC using the R&A house?  Prestwick too is high on the list for experience.  North Berwick as well.  Why in the heck is Gullane #2 on the list?  Surely if experience is the order of the day, one wants to play #1 and use the real house before/after golf - not the cheesy visitor house.

I would say Shiskine is pretty darn cool as well. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:40:27 PM by El Gringo »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
The food's good at Turnberry, for sure.  And the course is very good.  A day at Turnberry on Monday was, however, blown out of the water by a day at Prestwick on the Tuesday.  That's a proper golf experience.  Being the last four in the bar and contributing to their already absurd consumption of Kummel after a couple of rounds on a course that is great in a visceral way that Turnberry doesn't quite achieve.

Mark,

I agree with you. Train station steps away. Creaky stairs. An unreal collection of memorabilia throughout the house. (And, as you mentioned) Kummel! The sort of charm found at places like Prestwick will always be the reason the experience stays with you. Not to mention the utterly unique golf course. It all adds up to an extraordinary experience. Maybe the Bunkered folks don't drink??? ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
Deuchars IPA is a splendid pint and pretty widely available. Second Mark's support for Bitter and Twisted - really delicious.

Adam (and Mark)

I don't drink beer but my wife does as she loves the Brew Dog stuff and it is she who must be obeyed....

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »
To answer my own earlier question - where would you like to play if suddenly left £2,220 in the will of an elderly relative provided you spend it playing 18-holes at a weekend in the summer season to “celebrate the golfing venues in Scotland that offer visitors a truly memorable day out, as opposed to just an excellent golf course"?

I've come up with this list - NOT in any kind of order of preference though.

1 TOC – special and unique - £195
2 Carnoustie – tough, tough and super tough - £147
3 Royal Dornoch – great course, great location £110
4 Muirfield – simply class - £195
5 Cruden Bay – idiosyncratic and unique - £90
6 North Berwick – the wall hole and the Redan - £90
7 Machrihanish – get there by plane, peace and tranquillity and classy golf - £65
8 Machrihanish Dunes – new version of minimalist (plus next to the above) - £70
9 Dunaverty – unique and the views (plus close to the above) - £30
10 Brora – unique – moo & baa - and classy golf - £55
11 Golspie – three courses in one, peace and tranquillity - £45
12 Cullen – the cliffs, the cliffs - £18
13 Anstruther – to play ‘that par-3’ - £20
14 Southerness – peace and tranquillity and classy golf - £60
15 Musselburgh Old Links – to be played with hickories - £13
16 Machrie – unique and get there by 'plane £72
17 Traigh - peace and tranquillity – £20
18 Prestwick – Yee Olde classic, blind holes and sleepered bunkers - £155
19 Durness – not quite the end of the world, but on a clear day you might be able to see it - £20
20 Askernish – get there by 'plane, to be played with hickories - can you these days get much closer to golf as it once was - £50

Total £1,520 (the remaining £700 I’d donate to a junior golf programme/charity)

All the best

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
I think we have identified the gap in taste and perception in regards to what constitutes "the best golf experience" between the members of this august group and the general golfing public.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:31:01 PM by David_Tepper »

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
The day at Muirfield is an over the top experience, perhaps not my favorite golf course, but a truly great day!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
Maybe the Bunkered folks don't drink??? ;D
They almost certainly wouldn't put on a jacket and tie so they could enjoy the members bar....

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »
No Brora, no North Berwick, no Prestwick, no Royal Aberdeen, no Muirfield,  no Nairn, no Old Moray........no validity IMHO!

If Kingsbarn and Castle Stuart qualify, then the omission of Trump Scotland is glaring.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
Bunkered is a Scottish golf magazine read by the average pay and play golfer and club member. The sort of people who wouldn't dream of having to pay £120+ and put a jacket and tie on for a drink and bite to eat.

I rarely play resort courses or high end pay and plays but they can usually teach more established clubs alot about looking after visitors and giving them a great experience. Places such as Kingsbarns, Turnberry and Castle Stuart have deals for locals and this maybe why there is no sign of the likes of Muirfield.

The Glen is fun to play and no where near as quirky as North Berwick which doesn't exactly give visitors a great experience. Thomas ask 100 normal visitors which hole was the Redan and it's characteristics and I bet you get 5 accurate replies.

Ignore these genuine surverys NOT rankings at your peril.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back