News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Top 10 Palmer Courses You Can Play
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:58:41 AM »
Here's what you've been waiting all winter long with baited breath for;  Links magazine's list of the top 10 Arnold Palmer Courses that you can play:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/the-top-10-arnold-palmer-designed-courses-you-can-play

Any list that includes Aviara among the 10 best has to be suspect IMO, but which of these does anyone feel strongly about?  Which would you clearly play above others in the immediate vicinity?  What other Palmer courses deserve serious consideration?  I admit that personally I tend to steer clear of Palmer courses as I've yet to play one that was truly inspiring.  What am I missing?  Is Tralee worth a go if one is more concerned about the golf than the photo op? Is it really worth missing a second round at Ballybunion or Lahinch for?  Deacon's Lodge and Newport Dunes look potentially interesting.  Thoughts?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

Re: Top 10 Palmer Courses You Can Play
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:33:15 AM »
Can play or want to play? Perhaps we should start with the later question~
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Martin Toal

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Tralee is a very fine course, certainly miles ahead of Aviara in terms of memorability and enjoyment. Is it worth missing a second round at Ballybunion? Mmm, not sure. It is worth missing a first round at the K Club (also listed in that top 10).

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
No Musgrove Mill?  Is this the top 10 Palmer courses or the top 10 that might advertise in Links?

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
No Musgrove Mill?  Is this the top 10 Palmer courses or the top 10 that might advertise in Links?
or You Can Play?

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »

--- .--. /  .---- ----- /  .--. .- .-.. -- . .-. /  -.-. --- ..- .-. ... . ... /  -.-- --- ..- /  -.-. .- -. /  .--. .-.. .- -.-- 

Just in case.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »

Musgrove Mill i s  private.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
Can play or want to play? Perhaps we should start with the later question~

Arnie's courses are not given as much credit as they deserve.  Most are fun and don't beat you up.  They are not brilliant but generally enjoyable.  I belong to two of them and both are highly regarded in the their respective states.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
I enjoyed Stonewall (WV) and Aviara.
Of those which didn't make the list but could have, Bay Creek (VA), Eagle Ranch, and Classic Club.
Hiddenbrooke, Empire Lakes, and Lone Tree would be in the next tier, but are not bad.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:43:37 AM by astavrides »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
Gotta love the photo of Doral - Blue Monster accompanying the Bay Hill synopsis.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
Legacy GC in Lalewood Ranch near Sarasota, FL is among Palmer Designs better public courses:

http://www.legacygolfclub.com/sites/courses/greatoaks.asp?id=858&page=48417
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »
Keswick in Charlottesville is ok.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
Is Shanty Creek worth the trip?  I'd like to get up to Bellaire at some point to see the Short's brewery, but I'm not sure it's worth the drive from Kingsley just for that. If there's a course up there worth playing I may need to make the trip.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
I belong to two of them and both are highly regarded in the their respective states.

Are they private or public?

The "Arnies" that I have played are not fun (unless you are watching in the third-person, betting on caroms) and do beat you up.

How invested was Arnie in the design process? Did he ever get dirty in the field? Did he learn about irrigation, drainage and other elements of the biz as others must?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
I've always enjoyed Deacon's Lodge in Minnesota.  It's a "looks tough, plays easy" course in my estimation.  There may be a bit too many forced carries for some, but I've always looked forward to coming back.  I'm hoping they can get it playing a bit firmer this year with the new ownership group. 

Chris Johnston

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
It's nice to see Teton Pines in Jackson Hole get on the list.  It's a very fun course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
When a course such as Tralee is even considered a possible skip due to its proximity to another course (arguably a bigger tourist trap),GCA has truly jumped the shark
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
When a course such as Tralee is even considered a possible skip due to its proximity to another course (arguably a bigger tourist trap),GCA has truly jumped the shark

Well one's a Doak 10 and one's a Doak 0-5 ("some love the course but I think some good land was wasted here").  Not clear that choosing another go at Ballybunion Old is obviously a missed opportunity for folks with limited time in country, tourist trap or not.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:08:42 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
What exactly is a "0-5"? ;D ;) ;)
Not playing a course because a nearby course is a 10 is at best misinformed,and a ridiculous standard.
By that reasoning one would never play Sebonack or North Berwick.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
What exactly is a "0-5"? ;D ;) ;)
Not playing a course because a nearby course is a 10 is at best misinformed,and a ridiculous standard.
By that reasoning one would never play Sebonack or North Berwick.

Only if you think Sebonack and North Berwick are 2.5's....  8)

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Surely you don't think Tralee is a 2.5?
But I get your point, and Martin was complimenting Tralee.
BMS. Good points

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

Surely you don't think Tralee is a 2.5?

Nope.  Haven't played it.  That was from the Confidential Guide.  I can't say I'm sorry I played the second round at Bally Old.  I'd gladly check out Tralee over another go at the Cashen however...

Gary Slatter

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
I think Tralee is worth the visit, EVERY course should be played twice IMHO so you'll miss nothing by including Tralee.  I've enjoyed many of Arnie's Teams courses, enjoyed meeting him when we were planning a course in the Bahamas, he was interested and interesting.

My favourite is Harpuna in Hawaii.   Aviara was fun, we happened to be playing one afternoon and it suddenly got very quiet.  They had turned off the water system and all of the waterfalls quit - funny but did not stop us having fun. :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mike Schott

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
Is Shanty Creek worth the trip?  I'd like to get up to Bellaire at some point to see the Short's brewery, but I'm not sure it's worth the drive from Kingsley just for that. If there's a course up there worth playing I may need to make the trip.

Bill. I have not played Palmer's Legend at Shanty Creek but I have played Weiskopf's Cedar River at the same resort and it's a fine course although not as good as Forest Dunes. 13 is a signature Weiskopf short Par 4. It's worth the drive as you can go a bit further north and also play Belvedere.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »
What does the Renaissance Club (East Lothian, Scotland) score on the Doak scale?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back