News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

GCA Outing: Can you break a 100 on a US Open course?
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Be forewarned, it WILL be a slog...

For PNW GCA'ers, Chambers Bay is hosting a Men's Club event on June 23rd (Sun), where you get to play the course under the same conditions as they plan for the US Open in '15. The rough will be high, fairways will be tight, and tees will be so far from the fairway that you will need a GPS just to tell you where to hit (I expect 7600 yards). I would be happy just to break a hundred.

This is not something most of us get to experience everyday.

I will be happy to host a group and if there is enough interest, I can try to get a another group or two. Please let me know if you are interested.

David Ober

Re: GCA Outing: Can you break a 100 on a US Open course?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
In!!!

Don't know how I'll get there, but IN!!!!

Can I sleep on someone's porch?!?!

Be forewarned, it WILL be a slog...

For PNW GCA'ers, Chambers Bay is hosting a Men's Club event on June 23rd (Sun), where you get to play the course under the same conditions as they plan for the US Open in '15. The rough will be high, fairways will be tight, and tees will be so far from the fairway that you will need a GPS just to tell you where to hit (I expect 7600 yards). I would be happy just to break a hundred.

This is not something most of us get to experience everyday.

I will be happy to host a group and if there is enough interest, I can try to get a another group or two. Please let me know if you are interested.

John McCarthy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
No way.  A few years ago I played from about that distance on a course that jacked the greens up into the US Open speed.  After my third four putt I decided that I made a mistake. 

Have fun. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Rich,

Interested.  Great idea.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
I did this at Hazeltine the year before the PGA in 2008.  It gives you newfound respect for tour pros. 

The length and the green speed/firmness did not surprise me all that much.  Playing from the rough, however, was impossible.   

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
I only carry it 185. Will that be a problem?

John Crowley

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
I played TP South just before 2008 U.S. Open (not all way back) ditto on impossible rough.

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
I only carry it 185. Will that be a problem?

Not if you are okay with hitting out of sand.

The only holes you may have some problems are #9, #14...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Green speed?  I've only played it stimping at 6.

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
My guess is they will probably get it to around 8 or 9. I don't think they dare to go any higher.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
It's tempting to see if it would bring Rich's score back towards mine, or if mine would explode. The fairways will be tight is the unappealing aspect. Maybe if I cut a hole in a pocket that I can drop balls down a pant leg from .................................
 :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Stephen Davis

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
It's tempting to see if it would bring Rich's score back towards mine, or if mine would explode. The fairways will be tight is the unappealing aspect. Maybe if I cut a hole in a pocket that I can drop balls down a pant leg from .................................
 :o

Or you could just buy these pants. Hole already included.

The Travis Mathew Men's Slub Pants are fashioned after traditional slacks for an exceptional look, and the fabric blend of these pants will keep you comfortable with its soft hand and stretch characteristics. These pants feature a custom "Ball-Drop" front pocket for all of the cheaters out there so that you can drop your ball down a pant leg. But seeing your game is already awesome, you may not need it.

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/travis-mathew-slub-pant/10039152/product

But seriously, this make me wish I still lived in Oregon. I would come up for sure. In fact, I still may. I love Chambers Bay and it would be very cool to see/play it under Open conditions.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Rich,
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Let me see how knee surgery goes next Friday and what the surgeon suggest is the rehab time..but sounds very appealing
Thanks for the invite

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
It's tempting to see if it would bring Rich's score back towards mine, or if mine would explode.

Without a doubt, your score will explode...

MWP, will be awesome to have you up here. We will make it a full weekend for sure.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
It's tempting to see if it would bring Rich's score back towards mine, or if mine would explode.

Without a doubt, your score will explode...

MWP, will be awesome to have you up here. We will make it a full weekend for sure.

My score always explodes. I'm talking relative explosions to yours. ;)

You have made a pretty strong prediction from someone that has to have guys like Bob and I carry you at KP!

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »

No, that is what I meant. I would be shocked if you break 120!!! :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

No, that is what I meant. I would be shocked if you break 120!!! :)

If I'm short on sleep, maybe I'll come up. There would have to be a lot of nap time while these mens clubbers are out there playing the US Open setup. ;)

Ted Harris

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
Are the greens in better shape this year at Chambers ? I played there mid June last year and approx. 3/4 greens had large areas with bare dirt and another 2-3 greens had new turf cut into the greens that was roped off and out of play !!!!!

ChipOat

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
You might do it under U.S. Open conditions in a friendly game.  But if it was for real?  No chance.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
Pitching out sideways after slightly errant drives? 7-hour rounds?

At least the company will be good...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »
I played Oakmont just once, and as a solid 4, it ate my lunch.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Essig

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:14 AM »
Are the greens in better shape this year at Chambers ? I played there mid June last year and approx. 3/4 greens had large areas with bare dirt and another 2-3 greens had new turf cut into the greens that was roped off and out of play !!!!!

Were not bad a couple weeks ago.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 03:17:27 AM »
Played there today on a beautiful spring-ish afternoon.  The course was in solid shape for it being March in the northwest.  The greens rolled true with 7 noticeably shaggier than others.

I'm in Rich.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
I was able to play Winged Foot the day after the 06 US Open, (thank god Phil doubled out of playoff, or else we were sunk) with every pin the same as Sunday (except 6) and every tee the same (except 3).  This was the last year I was playing well and/or often and my number was 91:

6-6-5-6-6-4-2-4-5-4-4-7-4-6-6-5-5-6

44/47 = 91

Conditions were F&F, greens were mid-lo 9s (hadn't been pushed past 11.5 all week) and most surprising condition was rough.  It was heinous, the worst thing being that you could hardly take your medicine...you grabbed a sand wedge, go to hack it out sideways (nearly) and the ball would shoot wildly straight across into the opposite rough; that was crazy.  When you walked in it, your feet and legs were noticeably tired.

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Adam Clayman

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »
My guess is they will probably get it to around 8 or 9. I don't think they dare to go any higher.

Richard, They should be trying to mimic the stress of Open conditions. 8 or 9 sounds way too slow. With only two years to go, each June will be a learning experience.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back