News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Csigo

Re: Best Interstate Moderns
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »
Primm Valley Golf Club (36 holes) can be seen on I-15 heading from Vegas to LA.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
Daniel Island — North Charleston, off I-526
Old Marsh — Palm Beach Gardens, off I-95
Tiburon — Naples, off I-95
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Choi

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
Chambers Bay is not anywhere near I-5. It takes about 10 min to get to Chambers Bay after you get off I-5.

You can see the flag flying high at Trump National in NJ from the fairway.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:33:39 PM by Richard Choi »

Jim Nelson

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:34 AM »
Southern Highlands in Las Vegas.  You can see I-15 from #11 and the course can be seen from the freeway.  So that fits the criteria.  Until this year, it was in Golfweek's top 100 Modern.  Don't know the exact distance, but the eastern edge of the course can't be more than a drive and a three wood away.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Mike Benham

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »
California Golf Club of San Francisco

I don't think either Cal Club or Oakmont can be considered a "modern."

A modern renovation ... the GCA renovated the course in the same style of some of his modern designs ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Craig Sweet

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
Canyon River along side I-90 in Missoula, MT
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:55 AM »
Not sure why the question was asked and being one who hates road noise (to the point of making sure where I live isn't effected), wouldn't it be ideal to be 5-10 minutes off the motorway rather than adjacent?  If so, Chambers Bay sounds like it got it right and I would certainly say its near the motorway.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:30 AM »
Not sure why the question was asked and being one who hates road noise (to the point of making sure where I live isn't effected), wouldn't it be ideal to be 5-10 minutes off the motorway rather than adjacent?  If so, Chambers Bay sounds like it got it right and I would certainly say its near the motorway.

Ciao

If only we knew who the masked El Gringo was...

As mobiles whiz by at 65 mph plus, there's actually little noise to distract the golfer along I-90. Remember that this isn't local traffic with pedestrians and cyclists involved, so little honking and bumping.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »

Ciao

If only we knew who the masked El Gringo was...

As mobiles whiz by at 65 mph plus, there's actually little noise to distract the golfer along I-90. Remember that this isn't local traffic with pedestrians and cyclists involved, so little honking and bumping.

Have the motorways suddenly become silent since I left the country?

Ciao

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
no, but it's a drone, not a staccato symphony of horns, fenders and farts.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Hines

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
Wild Horse in Gothenberg can't be too far off 80.
Bully Pulpit off 94.
Rock Creek Cattle Company and Old Works off 90.
Chambers Bay off 5.

EDIT
Sorry, didn't see this clarification.
E, how far of the main drag can we venture?

Ben,

I think it counts if one knows the golf course is there when driving along the interstate. This could be a passing glance or a 3 hole stretch.

Wild Horse counts.....

http://goo.gl/maps/65ywG

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
Wild Horse in Gothenberg can't be too far off 80.
Bully Pulpit off 94.
Rock Creek Cattle Company and Old Works off 90.
Chambers Bay off 5.

EDIT
Sorry, didn't see this clarification.
E, how far of the main drag can we venture?

Ben,

I think it counts if one knows the golf course is there when driving along the interstate. This could be a passing glance or a 3 hole stretch.

Wild Horse counts.....

http://goo.gl/maps/65ywG

Thanks.

I actually drove I-80 in January and looked for any sign of the course from the freeway. Not knowing where it was, that is exactly where I supposed it might be from what I saw.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »
Mission Viejo Country Club in South Orange County, RTJ Sr c. 1965, has three or four holes right on I-5.  It can get real loud out there. 

mike_beene

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »
You can see the 4th green and 5th tee of the Dallas Ath Club Blue course from I635

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 05:10:56 AM »
no, but it's a drone, not a staccato symphony of horns, fenders and farts.

Yes, the drone of white noise is what I am referring to - its awful and I would mark a course down for it because much of the ambience is spoiled with constant road noise.  For instance, I could never join Walton Heath.  That drone from the M25 bugs the hell out of me.  On the positive side, I don't mind chalk board screetching - tee hee.

Ciao   

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
With most of these courses, you're along the interstate for one or two holes...no more.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Lester George

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Dave,

I hope you get to visit rock Manor this year.  Built in 1922, it is one of the oldest municipal courses in the country.  Interstate 95 cut off a portion (2 or 3 holes) when it was routed through Wilmington, I assume the 50's,  It remained re-routed until we began work on it.  It is on the same land as the Wilmington Municipal Water Works. 

Fun course, interesting layout, very busy. 

Lester

Brian Ross

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
Two of the better modern courses in Virginia, The Virginian and The Olde Farm, are located less than a mile from I-81 outside of Bristol, though I'm not sure that you ever get a peak at them from the highway.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tim Taylor

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Royal New Kent.

Tim

Dan Kelly

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
With most of these courses, you're along the interstate for one or two holes...no more.

It'd be a strange Interstate that had more than a few holes of a course beside it!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jason Topp

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

It'd be a strange Interstate that had more than a few holes of a course beside it!

Stoneridge!

I just thought of another one - Des Moines Country Club - early 70's Pete Dye.  The original 18 is quite good and was used for the Senior US Open in the late 90's.

Bill Crane

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »
My pick for NJ Modern winner  is .......Cape May National hard -  against the Garden State parkway.  Laurel Creek is just not close enough to 295 to qualify.  They ought to be within the length of a solidly struck driver - I think.

There are tons of older NJ courses that got wedged against highways as they expanded across the country, or lost holes to new thorofares.   Here is a partial course listing:

Arcola Country Club, Overpeck Golf course, Crestmont, Burlington CC, Beckett Golf Club, Forest Hill Field Club, Tavistock, Upper Montclair, Freeway Golf Club, Peddie Golf club, Wildwood Golf Club, Avalon Golf Club, Greate Bay, Veterans Park, Forsgate Palmer Course, Bamm Hollow Course, Galloping Hill Park and GC, Trump National NJ, Fiddlers Elbow, Beaver Brook., Greenacres.   etc etc.

Not to mention Canoe Brook bisected by Route 24 (a NJ State Road).

NJ and areas like Westchester County NY and Long Island had a ton of course altered by the highway system.

Wm Flynnfan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:46:57 AM by Bill Crane »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

So be it. Route I-90 from Albany to Rochester has a ton of holes along both the north and south sides.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
My vote is for The Ranch. Just off the 101 and one of the best publics in West-of-101 SSE San Jose.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

So be it. Route I-90 from Albany to Rochester has a ton of holes along both the north and south sides.

Prove it!

Last time you posted about this you couldn't even locate one of your courses between Rochester and Albany.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back