News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Foulpointe, Madagascar
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2003, 11:01:12 AM »
From the article in the "National Golf Review"
The flamboyant and colorful Mr. Hagen named Sandwich, Foulpointe and Hirono

The more I think about it, in context of the article and trying to understand the humor of the day with the likes of Grantland Rice, Richardson, Sarazen, Hagen and the likes, I believe it was a sort of joke.  Perhaps Rice and Richardson had a fudge factor similar to the modern lists that score points for tradition and editor's adjustments as we often talk about when the darn lists come out each year.  Maybe they were all sitting around the club room snifting a cognac and stuff, and they were yucking it up and teasing about the notorious exotic adventures of Walter Hagen. When he placed Foulpointe as one of his top two coupled with Hirono, the editors snuck it in the top 10 to see how many globe trotting trophy course players would bite on the joke and steam ship their way around the cape to see it.  Hagen probably stopped at the Manda Beach Club for a little exotic refresher and played a round at a 9 holer that SV Hotchkin or Alison laid out, and because the place was so exotic, he picked it and Hirono and the others thought it perposterous and funy so they slipped it in the list.  It is the same thing as us laughing about TE Paul and Fernanda Beach.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Kelly

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2003, 02:27:33 PM »
My french is a little rusty but this website lists Foulpointe as as nine hole par 36 course that was created in 1967.  It also says that the course is near the sea and has greens composed of sand.
http://tinyurl.com/byi2

If anyone wants to call the clubhouse and ask them about their history here is the number - Tel : 261 20 53 322 43
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2003, 01:47:12 PM »
Perhaps the high ranking has to do with how the list was compiled.

If all thirteen luminaries were simply asked for a list of their top ten or twenty courses, Hagen's single vote could have propelled Foulpointe to this lofty status.  In fact I can't imagine there is any other way this was achieved.

The original GOLF Magazine list of the top 50 courses in the world had a similar problem ... Asian voters placed Royal Hong Kong or Wack Wack in their top tens, and without polling all of the other committee members about them, they made the list.

Can you imagine Walter Hagen and Grantland Rice and Joyce Wethered trying to fill out the GOLF DIGEST ballot? :)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2003, 04:34:42 PM »
But Tom, most important, have you ever heard of Foulpointe?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2003, 05:54:25 AM »
No, I can't say that I had ever heard of Foulpointe before.  Or Ville de Delat, in IndoChina (North or South?).

The others I am familiar with -- in fact I've seen about 85 of them.  It's a very interesting list.  Especially interesting is Ballybunion at #82 -- probably its first international mention, just a handful of years after Tom Simpson was there.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2003, 07:49:05 AM »
foule'-French=pressed(cloth)A light wollen dress material with a fibrous appearance

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2003, 08:55:59 AM »
I think Tom Doak is right--Foulpointe probably was voted in by Walter Hagen alone. And I heard somewhere once that there was a really famous nightclub in Madagascar known at Foulpointe. Everyone knows the way Walter tended to carry on that it wasn't unusual for him to get his favorite nightclubs and golf clubs mixed up. There probably never has been a Foulpointe golf club in Madagascar but I'm sure Walter had a great time at Foulpointe club in Madagascar anyway.

T_MacWood

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2003, 09:46:41 AM »
Hagen made two world tours (both with Joe Kirkwood). From what I understand they hit just about every point on the compass. Sarazen also made similar world tours with Kirkwood - if I'm not mistaken Sarazen won the Australian Open on one of these tours. And I believe Kirkwood made one or two on his own. The Duke of Windsor was another guy who got around, a lot. Alison bounced around Southern Africa, he lived and eventually died in South Africa. Simpson seemed to be drawn to exotic locals - places like the Azores and Borneo - he also had French connections. And who knows about Frenchman Massy - he was based in Marrakech for a time - another French colony. I'm not sure how much the others traveled.

My take is the final list was compiled by Rice, Richardson and Darwin - would Rice (a founding father of ANGC and fellow panelist Jones for that matter) allow Augusta to be bumped out of the top ten to promote a spot where Hagen had a lovely time on the town? My guess - a little high on the list for that.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2003, 10:26:29 AM »
I've been in touch with the US-Madagascar consulate in Solana Beach, which is in North County, San Diego. So far, they don't know of a golf course there in Foulpointe/Manda Beach, including the ones described on the many websites, which of course doesn't say much for their knowledge of their country, but who am I? Still they are looking into it further to see what is there, or what was once there.

B. Mogg

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2003, 11:29:22 PM »
Ville de Delat in Indochine, I assume would be Dalat Palace in Vietnam. There was an old course in Dalat done by the French (designed unknown I assume), recently remodelled by IMG. It is in the highlands of Vietnam where it is quite cool and one of the few courses in that part of the world with bent greens.

BCrosby

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2003, 06:10:15 AM »
"Foule" is usually translated as "crowd". "Pointe" would normally mean a point or spit of land. Maybe a peninsula.

Thus the name, loosely translated, would mean "crowded point" or some variant thereof.

As for a golf course that was supposed to be there in the 1930's....somebody got his leg pulled.

Bob

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2003, 06:41:07 AM »
Bob Crosby:

Your speculation about Foulpointe may be correct, but so far that's all we have: speculation. Nobody has come forward and said they absolutely know for sure what the story of Foulpointe (or Manda Beach) really is.

We haven't even come up with many ideas of people who are likely to know for sure. I'm hoping the efforts of Tom MacWood, Tommy Naccarato and others may actually come up with something - one way or the other.
Tim Weiman

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2003, 08:41:25 PM »
I am sorry to come in late, obviously I could have save you all a lot of time and effort. During the late 1970s I was stationed in Toamasina, Madagascar at a tortoise research park. This was before my interest in golf design, but during my interest in the study of reptiles. We were there with a herd (yes herd) of Sulcata tortoises, a giant variety that grows to more than 30-inches in length. They are the second largest of the land tortoises.

While there — and as an avid golfer — I found a local bartender who had a first-generation Ping putter behind the bar. Routinely he would use it to gather empty mugs and corral them to the end of the bartop where the glasses would clank and collect above an old rusty sink. I nearly forgot his name until this thread: Mutîn L'ecule. I inquired to Mutîn about the putter and he told me it was left as payment for a bar tab a few years earlier. Having known the Solheims for years I recognized the putter as one of their popular double bent shaft models — these were eventually banned by USGA equipment rulings.

Mutîn asked if I played golf and I told him I did, but had not played since arriving — at this time perhaps four months. That was all it took and Mutîn invited me to "his club". I was initially shocked as no ond had ever mentioned a golf course in Madagascar, or even a driving range. He said Fridays would be the best day as most Madagascarites took off early then — but to drink and ready for dinner, apparently not to play golf. Mutîn was not a drinker, and single, so he informed me this was his day to golf whenever he found a reason. I was that reason: An American starved for golf and stuck on an overgrown seacoast with more wind than rain — unusual in Madagascar.

Mutîn offered to drive me as he said it was quite a difficult set of instructions. Besides, I only had a Moped and it was good for just 50 miles before I'd have to re-fuel. The course was "about 60 kilometers" and I would be stuck there if no one had gas. So I prepared for Friday and really, at the time, knew very little other that it was an 18-hole course and Mutîn was either a member or had a contact. He assured me they would have clubs and we could take a dinner there afterward.

I received permission to finish my field counts of Sulcatas early on the Friday and met Mutîn at his work. From there we bravely set off in Mutîn's Citron "Micro-auto", a sort of pick-up truck which made all Citrons look beautiful. What was amazing is that it was in such great shape for a 1961 that had literally been driven 250,000 km before Mutîn bought it. The odometer had broken, he told me, the second day he drove it. His estimate was about 350,000 km. (It smelled of beer, as did Mutîn, even though he did not drink. It was my guess that he washed his shirts in with bar towels as both he and the bar smelled alike.)

Yes, I arrived at "Foulpoint Athletics & Mongoky CC" after some 60 km of rough roads. Mongoky is a small settlement near Fianarantosa, a town I had been to twice to pick up some aerial photos. There is a small airport in Fianarantosa as the town is upland and not subject to as much wind. Fianarantosa also is known for its night life, although this is in context to the balance of the country, which is nothing until you reach the capital of Antananarivo — unfortunately for me and three other researchers there were no wild Salcutas within 100 miles of Antananarivo so we found it hard to justify the tiring trip there just to party. besides, we had Mutîn and his pseudo pub.

I still have the score card for MutînCC, but cannot find it at the moment. When I do I'll try posting it. What I can tell you is that Mongoky CC is just over 6,000 yards and the athletic club part is the real business enterprise. Foulpoint (no "e") is, I believe, a reference to a peak that houses several military installations and the locals began calling it "Foulpoint" as it ruined the silouette of the multiple rock jutting peaks as seen from town.

I'd place the entire grounds of what everyone referred to as Mongoky at only 300 acres of range land covered with large kiku-biki trees, which are like desert mesquites only four times as large. They are, I believe, a relative of the mesquite.

Interesting, Mongoky CC was measured in fathoms — just over 1000. I always found that amusing, especially when introduced to the brains behind this quirk: Hans Bjorklund, a transplanted Swed who ran a dive shop until rupturing a vessel in his arm and took up golf. His wife, who's name I cannot recall, ran the restaurant and also, of all things, sold American Civil war figures made of pewter. Very weird, but I believe if she had had e-Bay she might have been very rich off the trade. As it was she shipped these collections all over the world and most were well guarded behind glass cases.

My first round was marked by Hans' taking us on a tour of the entire grounds which nearly took two hours. Mutîn and I walked while Hans rode a small riding tractor, the kind of thing you see in Sears, but this one made by some Spanish concern. Mutîn was never easy around Hans, whom he described as "possible a Mob figure who had once lived in America". I was never certain when Mutîn made such comments as it was MY feeling that, if anyone, Mutîn may possible be in the local Mob! Anyway, we set off with Hans and arrives at the first tee after
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2003, 04:11:46 AM »
Oh please sir, can we have some more...  When does Peter Lorrie and Sidney Greenstreet turn up in this script?  Forrest, you do have a talent... 8) 8) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2003, 10:10:06 AM »
TommyN:

Since the US-Madagascar consulate in Solana Beach, North County, San Diego was not able to give you any information on Foulepointe G.C., there's no question in my mind that you should become the US-Madagascar consulate in Solana Beach, North County, San Diego, or even the US-Madagascar consulate for all of California or even the entire United States of America which is somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2003, 11:01:57 AM »
Tom Paul,
I have a hard enough time being Consulate in Casa Naccarato, Guada La Habra, California.

Forrest,
There is little doubt in my mind that you have either one of the best most imaginative minds for movie making. As Dick has said, "You outghta be in pictures!"

Dick, by the way, speaking of pictures, that day I was talking to you on the phone, and they were filiming here in La Habra, it is going to be on FOX soon as "44 minutes" starring Michael Madsen. Its about the massive shootout we had out here in the Valley, some four or five years ago after a bank robbery, and they guys were equipped to the nines in weapons and were shooting back just like the movie "Heat".

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2003, 07:32:16 PM »
and arrived at the first tee after a short tour through the small clubhouse, dining area and adjoining greenhouse.

Mutîn and Hans seemed like old buddy golfers, but it was painfully obvious that Hans had not swung a club in many years. I would guess 20 or more. His entire arm seem inactive and this seemed also to affect his left side which was stiff when he walked or moved. Mutîn had told me about Hans, but neglected to mention that he was so severely disabled. I thought this was weird and kept wondering why Mutîn omitted this bit of information considering that he had told me almost everything else anyone would have wanted to know about Hans before meeting the man. Oh well.

I will now try to describe the course, although without a score care to rely on for par and yardage (fathomage) it will likely be inaccurate to a degree.

The first hole is a straightaway par-4 of no more that 375-yards. The tees at Mongoky are all very small. At No. 1 it was odd that there was only one tee and it was among the smallest tees I'd ever seen. The fairway was lined with kiku-biki  and the grass disappeared into the voids if the trees as it being pulled by some deep forest creature. The grade was downward, probably by about 50-feet to the beginning of the green. The fairway was oddly contoured. I'd estimate 20 or more shallow depressions that were almost laid out as if in a pattern. It looked odd on my first visit, but even more so when I played there one late afternoon several weeks later. The shadows made the depressions look like a pie crust purposefully dimpled by some out-of-control grandmother intent on creating some new pie crust aesthetic that had never before been seen.

At the green we came upon one of Mongoky's most odd traits: No flags or pins, but instead a tripod of bamboo shoots laced together at the top and adorned with fresh Brobble flowers. I did not have to ask because before really noticing this odd structure sitting above the cup it was Has who offered an explanation having to do with ordering some flagsticks, flags and cups from an American distributor only to wait for three months until discovering that they were refused by U.S. export authorities due to an embargo on "agrilculture" products leaving the U.S.  Hans, in what was probably his typical manner, said to the hell with it and fashioned the tripod out of materials he knew would be available for the long term. Besides, he reasoned, who needs the standard crap America and Britian has come to think is great and necessary? I did not offer an argument, instead I commented about how the extra girth of the shoots would probably be easy to see, not to mention the bright whitish-pink blossoms of the Brobble. I was about to comment on the low height, about shoulder height, but held my tongue.

The first's green was rather stale. No more than 4,000 s.f., but with plenty of fall from left to right. There was one of the shallow depressions right at the front and this feature became ever so important once you visited the green with a ball and club. Any ball hit short that would catch this low area would be kicked left or right and only the left kick would get a favorable roll onto the green. No bunkers here at No. 1, which I later found was a matter of convenience. Hans explained that the site was very sandy with pockets of rock. Apparently wherever they work on sand it would get used for hazards, but where there was rock they simply used the terrain and filled over the rock to create shape and allow enough cover for growing grass.

One thing I recall about being there with these two unusual characters on that first tour of the course was that we were not playing. It was as if time was of no consequence and, besides, Hans had no ability to play and it was painfully obvious that this tour with me was, in fact, his version of playing golf. Talking and taking tours was his passion when it came to golf. The stories of how he built the course were all he had left. No one would dare suggest we do otherwise. At least not me on that Friday afternoon.

Mutîn explained that No. 1 looked easy but that it was anything but. Later I would learn that it was its absence of hazards — at least those you could see and classify as hazards — that made it such a frustrating golf hole. All around the green the grade kept falling down to a more narrow valley which continued after the hole. Although hard to see with the dense kiku-biki it was a very beautiful feeling to have a hole end at the clearing, yet the landscape continuing to some unknown place. Behind the green one could only see trees and grassland with stumps poking upwards in the grass as if lightening or a giant had bit them off. There was no indication of where you went next — this was the thing I remember feeling. Where's the next hole?

There were obviously no cell phones back then, but a system was in place that proved just as annoying. Apparently the Bjorklunds had two trained Makak monkeys, each looking identical to one another. These two round faced primates served as the compound's official communication network. I will never forget, later on, hearing Mrs. Bjorklund tell one of the monkeys to "go find daddy", and very matter-of-factly handed the monkey a small 3x5 index card with a scribbled note. Well, here at the first green I witnessed firsthand my first monkey message. Scared the shit out of me at first as this monkey came running down the approach right toward us. Hans kept talking and simply held out his good hand to receive the card, not even looking at the monkey. He finished his thought — something about the construction of the greens — and then ready the note and grunted. I felt he had to go, but somehow his body language showed that the golf course meant more to him than whatever the note had requested. So we set off, Hans making sure to tell me that this was no easy par and I would do well to take note of the bumps on the green. I said I would and looked back as the small monkey skipped back up No. 1 as if he had been unable to convince Hans to stop what he was doing and return to the clubhouse. The money looked back and, for a moment, I could no longer seem to see Hans or Mutîn. I kept looking back at the monkey and then nervously ahead to where I though I heard the tractor and Mutîn laughing.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2003, 07:45:33 PM »
This is getting really good and a little scary.  I can't wait to find out what was in the note, or the object of Mutin's laughter... or where that mysterious landscaping going down from the green into the shadows leads... :P

ForkaB

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2003, 09:48:01 AM »
This is first class stuff.  As far as I am concerned Foulpoint(e) is and always has been a 3*** course, no matter what the last 17 look or play like.  Bravo, Forrest.

B. Mogg

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2003, 10:00:33 PM »
Come on Forrest, keep it up - great stuff.

I am intrigued by your research into land tortises and what influence this research has had on your design career?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2003, 06:58:16 AM »
I left the small green, still watching the monkey dance his way out of sight. By now I could no longer hear Mutîn or Hans — and I had another dilemma: There were two dirt trails leading into the brush. One went straight down into the thicket. The other sort of along the side, but still well under the shade of the kiku-biki. I chose the one along the side. Both look like they were hardly used.

The kiku-biki were even larger here in what was becoming a ravine. From the first green it looked like a peaceful little valley between two small hills, but now the terrain was getting deeper to my left. I thought I could hear water, but it might also have been the distant sound of katydids who were getting an early rise on the night's noise-making fest.

Without warning the trail I was on ended. Just plain ended. I looked all around, but there was no choice. I headed back the 300 feet I guessed I'd walked. Only trouble was that nothing looked the same. Instead of rough terrain I seemed to be getting lower and there was a grassy cover on the ground. I must have taken a wrong turn. But how. There was no fork in the trail that I recalled. Just then I heard a crack in the trees above me and a thud right near when I was walking. A golf ball landed just ten feet in front of me. I looked up through the trees and along a large rock outcrop and immediately saw my good natured friend, Mutîn smiling. He seemed to be floating above the trees. Actually he was leaning over the top of a large rock face, peering down. Slowly, he said, "Are you going to join us?" I said yes, but asked how the hell one gets up there. "You've taken a crack turn mate. Go back to the green and walk up." I asked what "up" meant, and quickly injected before Mutîn could answer, that I had no clue whether I could even find the green. "You will man. You will. Just go back and walk up." Mutîn leaned back and his image was replaced by bright sun shining down through the twisted leaves of the trees.

It must have taken me ten minutes. I was pissed and embarrassed. When I reached them Mutîn and Hans were both leaning on the tractor talking like old friends who were sharing some secrets in the company of a third, lesser acquaintance. I felt both an outcast and as if I had interrupted their conversation.

Hans grabbed me and went on about how it was important that I keep up. He smiled, but I sensed he was impatient about the fact I had dragged behind.

Then it struck me. What a glorious golf hole. The tees were set directly on top of a natural protrusion of steep faced rocks. I could now see where I had been: Down the side of the tees in the brush, probably some 30 feet below. But out in front lay an amazing sight. A winding fairway that seemed never to end. The tee shot was across the raving I'd been lost in, the sides of the fairway were lined with beautiful whisping hairgrass. The undulations were to die for. Waves. Ripples. And snake-like turns, each bending slightly right to where I assumed the green would be.

I was correct. Hans explained this par-5 was simply "meant to be". He used his arm to point out the preferred landing area and told me the green would knock my butkas off, whatever those were. Mutîn added that it was one of his favorite holes, a par-5 of about 550-yards. "But," he added with a large smile, "it can play as short as 450 if the pin is up front."

We walked down the fairway, which I could now see began right at the end of the ravine I had been temporarily lost in. If I'd walked another 50 feet I may actually have reached the grass and been able to simply take a short hike backwards to the tee. I almost complained about being told to go back to the first green when Hand stopped the tractor and said, "You know, we could have had you walk back from here, but I wanted you to see how Slifkin intended for golfers to go from number one to the second..." I said thanks and we went on. My next question to Hans was going to be, "Who is Slifkin", but I was quickly interrupted again, almost as if Hans had a sense of what I was going to say.

"Slifkin was behind all this", he said. "I mean, it was his vision and design for Mongoky, and then he enlisted some mates to carry it off. Great chap."

We were stopped by the most interesting approach I'd ever seen. Tucked along the right side of a gentle hill was an endless green. I do not mean a long and narrow green, although this certainly was. I mean an endless green. "It's 345-feet from front to back," said Mutîn. 'I've measured the nasty buggar." And he was probably accurate. It seemed to go on forever and it looked as if one might hit a seven iron from front to back. Hans rode ahead and I asked Mutîn where the pin was. "Oh, it's not even day", he said. "The course is only open for odd play. Thought I told you that."
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2003, 09:41:16 AM »
Forrest,

Some excellent stuff there.  Keep it coming.  This could be the stuff of legends, but don't kill us by saying at the end that is entirely untrue.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2003, 10:08:26 AM »
You will need to discuss the truthfulness of this with Nacarato — he was in the Navy at the time and, I think it was around Hole 7, that he joined us. That's where I met Tommy. We have been close ever since.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2003, 10:35:16 AM »
Either way, you have me riveted to every detail.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2003, 06:49:44 AM »
Great stuff Forrest, but a fit unfair to leave us hanging.  I'm looking forward to the part about running into the great baseball pitcher Sid Finch ;)

Please, please, pretty please - continue.

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back