News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Non-binding Referendum - Form of the New Confidential Guide
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »
Tom,

The iPad is the best thing I have ever owned, so an app version of "E" would be great. But, I love my golf architecture book collection and would love an "A" as well.
Tim Weiman

rjsimper

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
A or C, with a companion E that has ALL courses you've done. Access to E could be included with the purchase of A/C or additional.

I like large books.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Prefer "C"

As a voice of reason, I imagine option "E" would be a headache for you to update on a regular basis unless you have the time and inclination. Perhaps a project for future retirement?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Rogers

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
I would be willing to pay for updates every year or so.

In the other thread of overlooked and affordable courses, I would like to see some emphasis on these two topics.  

What more can be said about Oakmont, CPC, ANGC etc etc etc that hasn't been said?!  I (and a whole lot of other people) will never get an invite to tee it up at any of those courses.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Scott Warren

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
(C) by the length of the straight.

Howard took the words out of my mouth. If (E) isn't updated as often as its readers request/demand then it isn't the best option , and I don't reckon a busy man travelling the world will be inclined to update as often as this mob will want.

Option (C) could be done as simply as
1. Western US/Canada + Mexico,
2. Eastern US/Canada + Caribbean + Sth America,
3. GB&I + Europe,
4. Australasia/Asia + Africa.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Tom - I'd want "B", so that's what I'm voting for.  

In the 1920s, I think, the "Everyman" books were introduced, simple but good quality editions of the world's great literature priced so as to be affordable by more people than ever before.

How about an Everyman edition of The Confidential Guide?  Get it into the hands of millions of golfers in a text only, simple edition.
Make it, in that way, the 'popular and standard reference' for everyone.

Photos are not only unnecessary but counter productive -- and also, they seem to me not quite 'proper', i.e. you yourself know that we shouldn't judge course by photos, and that's setting aside the unfortunate '18 great/signature holes' notion that photos support.

And, sorry, I'm too old and set in my ways to want anything in an "e-version". If I ever get to the UK, and if I'm ever sitting in the lounge at Walton Heath having a scotch after dinner, in an old leather club chair by the fire, I'll be damned if I'm going pull out my lap top and read your book. It needs to be an actual book!!

Peter  

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:17:42 PM by PPallotta »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
E because you can continue to update it and it is much easier to access.  I can reference it no matter where I am without having to find the book!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

David Harshbarger

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
A book like this is meant primarily as a vehicle to communicate ideas, and secondarily as a money-making exercise.  There has to be a financial component, but the ideas are the driving force.  If that's the case, I would encourage a free web content model, so that the most people are exposed to the writing and the ideas.  The basic format, reviews of courses, lends itself to the web quite well, as independent articles or pages of which there can be thousands.

Unless there's regular updates, a subscription model online doesn't make sense to me.

IPad apps are a convenient way to monetize the e-content, and if the online presence has ads, buying an app that is ad free can be a moneymaker, too.

Supporting the money making I would look at physical and e-book companions.  As you see above, there are plenty of people out there who want the hard copy.

In my pea-brained concept of the world, if you can get 10x, 100x, or 1000x people to see and read the material for free, that's 10x, 100x, or 1000x as many people who will consider purchasing the hard cover version, even if the rate at which they buy lags the rate of interested buyers buying if it is only available for a fee.

In the other part of my pea-brained concept of the world is that if you want to have your thoughts on golf influence how the masses think about the game, give the content away for free.  If every google search for a rated course returns the course's site, golflink.com, golfnow.com, and doakguide.com, your writings will influence hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people.  

DON'T STRANGLE YOUR BIG IDEAS BY USING A SMALL DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL. THINK BIG.  CHANGE THE WORLD.  GIVE THE ONLINE CG AWAY FOR FREE.

With enough people paying attention monetizing some of that stream will not hard.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ben Sims

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Tom,

I'll add a second post because for some reason, I'm feeling strongly about this issue.  The big book has sailed.  I'm staring at my modest collection on the shelf.  Confidential Guide, Evangelist, Discovering Donald Ross,The Art of Golf Design, all of the volumes of Golf Architecture a Worldwide Perspective, a half dozen prominent club histories, and many others.  They're great books.  I'm glad I own them and reference them quite a bit.  They're also huge, unwieldy, and a bitch to move every few years.  Despite my objections otherwise, my wife is right; they impress none of our party guests.

You and the Renaissance interns could build a big book format and it would be cool.  People would talk about it and collect it.  They would use it as a weapon to make themselves feel superior to others that don't have it.  They would reap huge sums after it inevitably becomes a "collectors" item as the majority of your books have become (save Anatomy).

But that course of action would miss a tremendous opportunity to create an experience that no golf architecture books have reached yet.  You could hire a talented company to mold the book into an electronic version that would reach across boundaries.  You could link short videos and interviews into it.  Imagine Brian Slawnik voicing a 45 second intro to Royal Melbourne.  Or Mucci doing a short clip on Garden City.  You could insert clips from other sources given the correct permissions.  You could easily include pictures from your slide collection or even scan various topos.  You could have tons of people you know in golf contribute information.  The possibilities are endless and aren't limited by size or page count.  

And despite what people are saying here, you wouldn't have to update unless you really wanted to.  Users aren't going to demand updates.  That's an unrealistic expectation for an e-book.  An app would be a different story.  

I think going the luddite route and creating yet another huge book to sit on shelves is to reinforce what most golfers outside our small community already associate with golf architecture.  Boredom.  

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Ben's a few others comments about access while travelling is quite an eye opener for me.  I never think to actually bring golf materials other than for playing the game when I travel.  Its not as if I can't remember the gist of a few paragraphs from a handful of courses I shall be visiting, but then I am conscious (not seemingly enough though) that there is a small (I think probably very small) group of folks who carry this sort of material with them (in any form) when they travel. 

I am reminded of the Flynn book on disc.  Not quite the same idea as folks are pushing around here, but for me and I suspect many of my ilk, it amounts to the same thing - having to read material accessed through machine.  I wonder how often folks bother to read their Flynn discs compared to me pulling down a book from a shelf?  I can't answer the question because I didn't purchase the disc specifically because it was a disc. 

In the end, I suspect the issue is about how the material will be used.  I don't have much need to travel with the Confidential Guide in any form, but then I haven't pursued the idea of an ipad or Kindle.  My wife is sold on the concept and usually chooses material based on cost. Often times the Kindle book is cheaper so that drives the decision-making.  I have resisted the idea of a Kindle because when I travel I usually find I have little time for comfortable reading so I usually only carry one book and never bring a computer.  Who knows though, I got used to the idea of music on my phone so anything is possible.

In the end, I am very skeptical of a book that needs to be a download because of its content size.  I am a firm believer in good editing and a good idea only being able to carry a book so far.  For me it remains to be seen if a 1000 page CG will hold much interest for many people (including myself) unless it is stupidly cheap and thus treated like a throw-away object - much like a magazine. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ken Fry

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
I like options C and E.

C because the photos I'm sure you would include could demonstrate through your eyes why you like a course or particular feature or why not.

E because constant updates, numerous photo options and a computer version can be accessed anywhere.

Ken

Scott Sander

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
C and/or E.

Excising courses that land in the middle of the Scale would make me less interested in spending time with the CG.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
Option A would suit my predilections.

Allow me to pore over a grand book, a weighty tome, a scholarly masterpiece. I would go so far as to buy a lectern to prop it on for ease in perusal! A book of this stature would be bought by golf-tragics the world over AND by many avid golfers long-suffering wives and lovers as a present.

In all seriousness I do think A is the very best option as a work of this magnitude cries out to be permanent, it would become a touchstone. My fear would be that web content is relatively evanescent and a major treatise of this ilk would not get its just rewards.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »
A or C, with a companion E that has ALL courses you've done. Access to E could be included with the purchase of A/C or additional.

I like large books.

This would be my preference too.  I'd like two physical volumes, one USA, one international, and an app for my iPad with great photos and occasional updates. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
CM:

well said, with more concision than I could muster in 8x the words!

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Will Lozier

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
B and E

All the information available in one source.

E gives the ability for pictures. You can sell them as singles or a combination.

Ditto.  Most modern school textbooks have a CD accompanying it which for the CG, could be the pics.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
Tom,

I like the combo of C and E, with E being a subscription web based project that is updated as new and/or significant updates come online.

Or, updated as you get to said new and significant updates.

PThomas

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
e and c Tom
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:43 AM »
C and E (probably as e-books rather than subscription website) would appeal to me the most.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »
I'll vote for C, eliminating courses scoring below a 5 would take away from the value of the book.  Most of us know about the 7's and above, but seeking out a decent 4 or 5 while in the vicinity of a 7 or 8 adds to the experience of golf trips.

Regardless, thanks for the effort to publish an updated volume.

TK

Brent Carlson

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2013, 01:23:58 AM »
Prefer A and C in that order.   I'm glad to see another edition of this classic.

Paul Gray

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 05:48:34 AM »
I'd run with option 'A' but with each section also purchasable as a pocket guide in the form of option 'C'. Similarly, as a travel companion a downloadable version would, it seems to me, work well. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Troy Fink

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 06:14:20 AM »
E is my vote.

I too feel it is important to include courses of all scores, otherwise 5 will become the new 0.

Jud_T

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
On further reflection my first choice would be B in paperback along with a kindle version.  There's no reason to bring it with you while travelling except to reread.  I always research any and all golf possibilities well in advance of a trip.  But you could have it on your iphone or ipad as well.  The only reason to do D is to get part out sooner and do more courses over time.  E would be great if updated on a subscription basis.  Hell you could do a monthly newsletter discussing any new courses you'd seen or older courses that you'd revisited as well as an essay about whatever was on your mind if you felt so inclined.  I'd love to see the pictures but I'm frankly surprised most prefer that option.  A paperback for $30 would get wider distribution and more use than a large format hardcover for $75.  Check out the Wine Advocate newsletter and online database for reference. IMO it's primarily a reference travel guide, some might say THE reference travel guide, more than a tome GCA treatise.  The other advantage of scrapping the pictures is it forces the words to stand on their own merit.  While this is something you're certainly capable of,  it might force you to do that 1 extra edit/draft that might take it to the next level.  The text is so important IMO that it shouldn't be overshadowed by pictures.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:38:04 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
Publishing CDs with a printed book is fraught with problems, principally that you have to provide some system of storage of the CDs which probably precludes the potential buyer browsing the book, or the CDs fall out. I know from personal experience - I wrote a biography of the composer Franz Schubert which was accompanied by three CDs of his music taken from EMI's back catalogue. It didn't sell - booksellers couldn't cope with CDs, record shops couldn't cope with the book. You can buy the book for pence on Amazon, but they won't have the CDs with them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back