News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: King's Putter May 3-5
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
Monarch Dunes has some fine holes. They had reversed their nines so #1 is one of the finest holes on the course. However, I have taken to calling it Monarch Ponds, because there are ponds on #8, #10, #13, #15, #16, #17, and #18. This year I learned about and invoked the Dan King rule, "Never surrender more than one ball to a golf hole." However, I didn't follow his other maxim, "After a sleeve of golf balls is gone, you are done." Or, I would have had a very early exit from Monarch Ponds.

Two years ago they were having troubles, and the maintenance of the course showed it. Now, they seem to be coming back and are quite an attraction in the area. Bob's neighbor is selling his ocean view home, so he can move there and play golf there. The home prices there are inflating as only CA homes can do.

The smooth greens Pete refers to were the best I have seen in my biannual visits.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
Any interest in KP at Chambers Bay? I would be happy to host. It should be fairly close to US Open condition.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
Richard,

If the KP crew do not take you up on that offer I would be gobsmacked.

I'm in if it happens (although I've only been to one KP and can hardly speak for the group). Chambers Bay is in the top tier of my personal must-play list.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
Any interest in KP at Chambers Bay? I would be happy to host. It should be fairly close to US Open condition.

Thanks for the offer Richard, but not interested.
Garland
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »

I spoke to another member of the Seattle area GCA contingent recently and it sounds like there would be a lot of fine golf worth playing (duh!).

I would be very much in, Richard, especially as a potential trip to Seattle in July has changed to SF. I still very much want to see Chambers!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
Let me revise my answer to Richard.

I am not interested in playing Chambers Bay in a KP. However, a suitable list of courses with Chambers Bay as only one 18 hole venue could draw me to such an event. Perhaps Alex would like an absent minded caddy for Chambers Bay.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
Maybe in the future? The King's Cal vs Sp Cal and was always held in California. I thnk we are trying to get back to those roots.
Perhaps sometime ahead we can go forward with a three venue rotation (NoCal, SoCal, elsewhere) but that should be a discussion where everyone is represented

Tim Leahy

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »

Thanks for the offer Richard, but not interested.
Garland

No carts there, count me out.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Yost

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
Sadly, I was not being able to make it to the KP, but would still like to offer a great big thanks and a hat tip to Dan King for his efforts in organizing the weekend and sharing his accommodations with this sketchy group of gentlemen and recovering alcoholics.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »
Hey, wait just one minute; not all of us are in recovery!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
The Armenian hard at work on Morro Bay...

It's amazing. I'm pretty sure this is Gib at the top of his backswing, correct?

That's got to be his follow through, as it is higher than his back swing.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »

I am not interested in playing Chambers Bay in a KP. However, a suitable list of courses with Chambers Bay as only one 18 hole venue could draw me to such an event. Perhaps Alex would like an absent minded caddy for Chambers Bay.

Garland,

I thought you were a big fan of Chambers Bay.  Do you just not like it as a KP venue?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Maybe in two years time we could have the King's Putter on the current US Open venue. Just need to figure out their aeration schedule. Toss in the Home Course and Gold Mountain and a couple of others and were all set. This should guarantee a SoCal event in 2014. Know this contadicts an earier post, but that's the way i roll. Off to play the Preserve.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

Garland,

I thought you were a big fan of Chambers Bay.  Do you just not like it as a KP venue?

KP has traditionally been a way to get as many people as possible to meet up at lower cost courses playing two rounds a day. Chambers Bay does not compare favorably under those terms to Sherwood @ $50 per 18 or Sagebrush @ $50 per 18. It would be hard to get in two rounds in April if you spend 6 hours playing Chambers Bay. And, I have played it enough I don't have a need to go see it. And, they have been busy degrading some of the holes for the US Open.

Richard Choi

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »
2015 will be tricky as there will be a lot of events leading up to the Open and I also expect some temp greens before the Open. And after 2015, I suspect green fees will jump up significantly. Oh well, I offered...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »
2015 will be tricky as there will be a lot of events leading up to the Open and I also expect some temp greens before the Open. And after 2015, I suspect green fees will jump up significantly. Oh well, I offered...

Good points Richard!

David_Tepper

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Richard Choi -

I would not quit on the idea of having a Kings Putter event at Chambers Bay solely on the choice of one or two people not to participate.

What time of year would you think would be best to play it there?

DT  

Brent Carlson

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
Having KP at Chambers would be epic, provided the event founders are amenable to having the KP in Washington.  Yes, carts are out of the equation at Chambers, but a second course for the event like Gold Mountain has carts.   Also, I do not foresee cost being an obstacle.   Chambers has one of the best staffs around.   I have a feeling they would roll out the red carpet for GCAers.  ;) Plus, how often do you get to hold a GCA event at a US Open course the year before it occurs?  There would be some major beard pulling.   Firm and fast...firm and fast.   By 2015 you may need to sleep in your car to have the KP at Chambers.   This course is going to blow up.  It's a no brainer IMO.   I hope the event founders see it the same way.  

Brent
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:29:20 PM by Brent Carlson »

Dan King

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »
I'm done organizing, so I'm thrilled.

The King's Putter started out as a competition between Northern California and Southern California. It has gotten away from those roots, so I figured this year we would have it close to the midpoint in the state and return to its roots. It was not nearly as popular as I thought it might be. Fun, but not so popular. As the organizer of 2013 and the donator of the trophy, I got no issue with the King's Putter going to Chambers Bay. I'd like to see the course, and my plan is to get my game in shape for next year's KP.

Cheers,
Dan King
A tournament goes on for days. It is played at a dangerously high mental pressure. Golf makes its demands on the mind. A golfer is terribly exposed in almost every way. The responsibility is his and there is no way to camouflage this, no hope of jettisoning it.
  --Peter Alliss

Garland Bayley

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
Richard, Brent, and Dan have now converted me to a supporter of the Chambers Bay KP in 2014.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
Richard, Brent, and Dan have now converted me to a supporter of the Chambers Bay KP in 2014.

Garland,

A chance to witness Grudge Match 2014 would make it all worth it.   What an incredible sub story to the KP. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Oh, shite...

This might happen after all. Let me call around and see what might be available for us. My hope would be to play CB every morning and play the afternoon rounds at either Gold Mountain - Olympic course (about 30 min drive from CB) or The Home Course (10 min away, the sister course for the US Am). I am hoping the cost for both rounds per day will be no more than the regular CB single round rate, around $150 dollars.

I think early May would be a great time for this as well.

I am open to any suggestions or differing opinions...

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
Gentlemen,

Obviously, Chambers would be spectacular. Is there any accommodation for golfers with legitimate disabilities? Maybe a cart or two on property for somebody with bad knees or whatnot?  Those without a medical excuse will have to suck it up and stroll just this once . . . . . .

John (Harbottle) told me once that the Olympic Course was his best effort and being a fan of his work, I'd love to finally see it. Wish I could have played it with him - John has not even been gone a year.

Richard, there are two courses at Gold Mountain, correct?

As for that lovely photo above, I am well aware I look like Fred Flintstone making a constricted chop while simultaneously taking a dump. Even Goodale, who has played several dozen rounds with me, was moved to remark that my golf swing is an ocular offense against good taste and propriety.

You all can take great pride in knowing that as long as the Armenian plays in KP, you're guaranteed not to have the ugliest golf swing in the tournament.        
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:39:31 PM by Gib Papazian »

Michael Essig

« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Oh, shite...

This might happen after all. Let me call around and see what might be available for us. My hope would be to play CB every morning and play the afternoon rounds at either Gold Mountain - Olympic course (about 30 min drive from CB) or The Home Course (10 min away, the sister course for the US Am). I am hoping the cost for both rounds per day will be no more than the regular CB single round rate, around $150 dollars.

I think early May would be a great time for this as well.

I am open to any suggestions or differing opinions...

Richard, I am here to help.  I agree that playing Chambers in 2015 is problematic.

As Pete P. and others have said about possible venues, and trying to make this work, I think you could walk Chambers and ride at Home Course one day, and ride at Olympic at Gold Mountain and maybe Trophy Lake on another day if you are trying to get 36 in each day. 

Alternatively, you could do Olympic and Home Course, both riding on Saturday if you start early enough, and save the Chambers walk for Sunday.

For those who can stick around or come early, we can work out other spots like staying at my house at Suncadia and playing there and Tumble Creek (if possible).

FYI to all, driving between Chambers and Home Course is 20 min; between Home Course and Olympic is 45 min -1 hour.

Rounds are about $60 each at Home Course, Olympic and Trophy; Chambers is $130 in May.

Between my wife's corporate rate and (I am assuming) your corporate rate, we should easily be able to work the hotel rates down below $100/night; maybe even in the $75 range.

So, quick math at rack rates: Chambers $130, Home $60, Olympic $60, three nights for rooms at $100/night (or shared at $50/pp) and that is $400 if sharing a room and $550 if not sharing for three rounds and three nights lodging.   Play Trophy Lake for an extra $60.  Come to Suncadia and get free lodging and just pay for golf.

Is that reasonable for most people?  Any other thoughts?

Brent Carlson

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Gentlemen,

Obviously, Chambers would be spectacular. Is there any accommodation for golfers with legitimate disabilities? Maybe a cart or two on property for somebody with bad knees or whatnot?  Those without a medical excuse will have to suck it up and stroll just this once . . . . . .

John (Harbottle) told me once that the Olympic Course was his best effort and being a fan of his work, I'd love to finally see it. Wish I could have played it with him - John has not even been gone a year.

Richard, there are two courses at Gold Mountain, correct?

As for that lovely photo above, I am well aware I look like Fred Flintstone making a constricted chop while simultaneously taking a dump. Even Goodale, who has played several dozen rounds with me, was moved to remark that my golf swing is an ocular offense against good taste and propriety.

You all can take great pride in knowing that as long as the Armenian plays in KP, you're guaranteed not to have the ugliest golf swing in the tournament.        

Gib,

Yes Chambers will make exceptions for some golfers.  I believe an employee drives the cart for the player.  Please correct me if that's inaccurate.  

Gold Mountain is a challenging yet playable course that is very enjoyable.   It grows on you with each play.   There is a second more friendly course called the Cascade course.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back