News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Plea for help advice on inaugural trip to Scotland (please & thank you)
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:51 AM »
Gib I love your writing man but…

I think you’re attacking Niall for the wrong reasons.

1 It’s clear you didn’t like the golf course yet It’s clear to me that Troon is a course that takes repeat plays to appreciate it, based on my conversations with several golfers I respect who know it well.   This is a problem for this group as the prices that ‘top’ courses charge today mean that most are unlikely to return to see them and gain that appreciation.     I’ve yet to play Troon but will go before it next hosts the Open as I have an ambition  to play ALL the Open courses. Funny it’s a bit like tracking down the least loved album of an old favourite; it has to be done but you don’t expect to get much from it. At least with Troon I will get more enjoyment watching the big tourney on TV when that comes round. So in my book it’s a must play and starting with fairly low expectations is my best bet to come away having had an enjoyable day.

2  I do think you should complain to your dying days about the way you were treated. I make my living in a service co and know if you get it wrong you don’t have a second chance to make things right. The last person I heard complain about the culture there, was a long term member. However Niall wasn’t there that day and has no dog in this fight to bite you back with.  It seems to me your experience of the service you received is blinding you to the possibility that you missed something about THE GOLF COURSE? 

Come on, in your world “Drivel” and “Idiot” are mere pleasantries exchanged at the start of a conversation. Nice to see you stirred from your long sleep, carry on fulminating with what is really wrong with golf.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »
I'm another dieing to hear detaisl of this 3 day R&A membership.  Sounds great.  Why bother with the Links Trust (actually, that's a whole thread on its own!) if you can get 3 days as an R&A member?  I assume this includes use of the clubhouse?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 04:14:35 AM »
Would somebody - anybody - explain to me what is so wonderful about this golf course aside from #7-#9 and #18?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 04:35:44 AM »
Would somebody - anybody - explain to me what is so wonderful about this golf course aside from #7-#9 and #18?

As I said I haven’t been there so I would like to hear more.  What I have heard is along the lines of good golfers appreciating a fine test.

A nuanced review
http://www.planetgolfusa.com/index.php?id=708

Mixed reviews from a wide bunch of golfers
http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=20

However noteworthy  holes singled out have risen from 4 to 10.     7-14, 17 & 18.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:34 AM »
I think Jeff maybe referring to a member signing in guests for two or three days in their absence, this was stopped two or three years ago and a member now has to be present with their guests.

Troon lacks charm but is a full championship course, it reminds me of a couple of US Open courses I've played.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »

Troon may be the Open course with the least impressive claim to greatness.  Its a solid course with one outstanding hole and a few very good holes.  I can't think of any holes which are poor.  That doesn't make it close to great, but I would say its far from a piece of shit.  What bugged me most about Troon is the similarity in length of holes on the back nine - most into the wind.  While I am not overly concerned by balance (one can't be if he is a lover of TOC), Troon gets it badly wrong with lots of wood approaches on the back while the front is short iron country.  I can't see how Doak offers up an 8, same as Sandwich and 2 better than Deal.  Lets pass on Sandwich because it is slightly quirky, but Deal?  The course suffers the same problem as Troon with the out n' back routing, but at least the golfer is rewarded with a bit more variety on the back nine and the terrain is superior to Troon's.  No, for mine, Troon is no better than my benchmark course Burnham.  In fact, I think it falls short of Burnham and Burnham isn't great.  Too much stock is placed in Troon's championship credentials.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:57:15 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »
Mark,

That's possible, I suppose.  That wasn't a "membership" though and did rather require that you know a member.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 06:43:11 AM »
They do give you a little temporary members card, they won't let you buy a club tie though!!
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
Thank you Tony "Kofi Annan" Muldoon but I think you'll find that Gib is indeed attacking me for the right reasons since I did indeed point out he was spouting drivel and in a round about way called him an idiot. Of course he's perfectly entitled to defend himself even though he's wrong.

Nick,

At least my comment re Gib's views on Troon has at least sparked a bit of debate on its relative merits. For what its worth, the first few holes and the last few holes are flatter (although not without contour) and I think most overseas visitors who are expecting wow or candy factor tend to be underwhelmed and miss the qualities that make links golf what it is. At Troon the turf is just perfect and the ground game is called for all the way round. That said, the holes at the furthest point out are amongst the best. Also for the record, I am biased, I know several members well and have played the course on quite a few occassions, however I played it as a visitor before I knew anyone who was a member, and loved it from the first.

The issue that Gib and others refer to re making visitors welcome has been mentioned before. Not everyone has experienced it but some have  and the club have taken note. Whether it was down to an individual trying to do a Paddy Hammer or whether it was a corporate thing I don't know but attitudes have changed over the last few years. Members were frankly embarrassed getting that kind of feedback. With regards to Monty's old man, if the Duke of Edinburgh walked in the room Montgomery senior would still manage to give him a look although from what I've been told he's actually perfectly charming in person.

One thing Gib wasn't talking drivel on was the quality fo the Portland course which is one of the few MacKenzie layouts in Scotland although over the years its had its "refinements". The club are currently considering a proposal to restore it to what it was although I very much doubt it will be in play for your visit.

Niall

Nick Church

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
Again, thank you all for the insights & opinions.  I really do appreciate it.

As for the "debates" --- heck, I never wished to create a brouhaha.  However, I've read GCA long enough to realize it's part of our culture here.  So no worries.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
Niall,

It occurs to me the newbie Treehouse hoi polloi lack sufficient back-story knowledge to interpret the humorous intent of my blaring retorts.  Incidentally, I've always believed that Smiley faces, exclamation marks and ribbed condoms should be used only if there is no other way to achieve the desired result.  

Thus, I hope you do not take offense at my imperious pomposity. The Redhead has noted that I let out a devious cackle most every time I click the “Post” button, but it is clear several starched collars are not amused with my bon mots. I'm told you are one of them.

Princess Smartass (my daughter) read my rant  above and hit the floor laughing, but our snarky debates often end with a spontaneous break into The Argument Skit (I play John Cleese). This may provide an illustration into the twisted humor of the Papazian household. Thus, I hope nobody blows the rape whistle just because I'm wearing a trench coat.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:14:04 PM by Gib Papazian »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
FWIW, my take on Troon from my one play in 2007:

The Members didn’t give us the time of day the Tuesday we played.  Not good nor bad, the same feeling as with most every other private U.S. course I’ve played.  We had a lovely buffet lunch in the dining room overlooking the 18th hole and the pro was a good chap who sold me a great rain jacket. 

We paid full rack rate which includes a second round at Portland, which we didn’t do because we played Prestwick(!) in the afternoon.  So my round at Troon is the near the top of the most expensive rounds ever. 

During our eight day trip we played ten courses and Troon was easily the group’s least favorite, Rota-history and all.  As others have said the meat of the course is 7-8-9-10 and perhaps 11.  But I also really liked the drives on #2 and 3 – the tee box is set askew right of the fairway (which was fast and firm) so it played diagonally like a cape – pick the wrong line and you might end up short in the rough while too long rolls through the fairway into the left rough and potentially a worse line to the green.   

JMEvensky

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »

Incidentally, I've always believed that Smiley faces, exclamation marks and ribbed condoms should be used only if there is no other way to achieve the desired result. 

You can consider this line stolen. I will use it frequently without any attribution.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:56 PM »
Matt with the immense charm of Prestwick next door it's tough for a course such as Troon. I do feel part of the love is lost for the club by charging for a round on the Portland course that a good number of visitors skip. It's a win for the club but isn't necessarily a way of winning the hearts and minds game.

All the more reason to stay in St Andrews!!
Cave Nil Vino

Carl Johnson

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
Having posted a somewhat substantive set of suggestions earlier, and having read many (but not all) of others' posts, here's a final word of advice from me.  Absolutely do not get hung up on having to play any particular course or courses, or which courses are "musts" - go with a completely open mind and have fun with your friends.  This from someone who has played many, many of the "top" Scottish courses.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:05:36 PM by Carl Johnson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
I never thought I would live to see the day where the self proclaimed royalty of this board would declare an out and back routing a bad thing.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
JakazoidB,

(Stream of pique deleted)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:57:57 AM by Gib Papazian »

Neil Davis

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
It's really sad where a lot of these threads end up.  Commence attack on my newbie status.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
Excellent point Newbie.

That is why pencils have an eraser on top.

All this stated, I still think Troon is an overrated goat track.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:02:41 AM by Gib Papazian »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Excellent point Newbie.

That is what the delete button is for.

That stated, I still think Troon is an overrated goat track.
Gib,

You're needed on Brain Sheehy's Troon thread.  A chance to lock horns with Rihc (who has just decried those that decry Troon) awaits.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
Mark,

I try never to lock horns with Rihc (or Mucci).

To quote Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood): "A man's got to know his limitations."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
Gib,

Your anti-semitic references about me are unacceptable.  You are off my grid undeserving of any further response.

Jud_T

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Geez,

I guess I'm more upset about having passed on Western Gailes than Troon now...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
John,

You're not Jewish.

Shall I inform the Pope you've converted?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
Geez,

I guess I'm more upset about having passed on Western Gailes than Troon now...

I'm one that didn't get Western Gailes, despite all the pre-hype.  But I played it the afternoon we landed so maybe it's the jet-lag that causes me to not be able to remember very many holes.  #7 is all-world though, perhaps because it was one of the only ones to have some dunes/movement.  Glad I played it, more glad I played it first, wouldn't play it, nor Troon again.  But Turnberry and Prestwick - YES!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back