News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Arizona's Hidden Gems...
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Bill Huffman selects 7 courses outside of the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro area. All can be played for $100 in prime season and less in the off season.

Rio Rico
Tubac
Los Caballeros
Emerald Canyon
Elephant Rocks
Laughlin Ranch
Lake Powell National

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/AAA-ACA/jf_2013_highroads/2012121801/#32
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Harshbarger

Re: Arizona's Hidden Gems...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
Lake Powell National is quite an enjoyable course perched on the hills above Page, and the Colorado River as it emerges from Lake Powell.  It truly is spectacular.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:23:46 AM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
Other than private club guest fees, we don't have a single course in WNY that routinely goes for more than $55 with cart at any time during the year. I suspect that we are conditioned to affordable golf.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
Other than private club guest fees, we don't have a single course in WNY that routinely goes for more than $55 with cart at any time during the year. I suspect that we are conditioned to affordable golf.

You also do not have 30% of your play coming from outside the state, most of which is jammed into the few months where golf cannot be played in the north.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:48:25 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
I am not a fan of Tubac.  It used to be a decent low key 18 hole course but was modified to add housing and chopped up enough that the result is a hodgepodge.  I would rather drive the extra 30 minutes to play Sabino Springs for a much lower price.

I do like Rio Rico quite a bit.  It is probably a Doak 4 but has some very interesting holes along a canyon on the front side and decent, if not memorable holes the rest of the way.   It also has those RTJ air-strip tee boxes.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »
The Duke at Rancho El Dorado (Maricopa, about 30 minutes from PHX) was a delightful find. The course, designed by a guy named David Druzisky, is not terribly difficult, but our whole group (Handicaps from 3 to 16) loved it. The ground does not look promising and there are houses and whatnot along some of the fairways, yet the hole designs and green complexes were genuinely fun to play.

Not especially challenging or a shorty full of funhouse quirk, but every hole had some element that made it interesting; I guess part of what attracted me back again was that all the features worked together in a visually pleasing way. It was like that chick you don't normally look at twice, but once you do, there is plenty to keep you busy. Nothin' fancy mind you, but when you walk off #18, you'll have liked it a lot without being able to put your finger on exactly why.

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »
The Duke at Rancho El Dorado (Maricopa, about 30 minutes from PHX) was a delightful find. The course, designed by a guy named David Druzisky, is not terribly difficult, but our whole group (Handicaps from 3 to 16) loved it. The ground does not look promising and there are houses and whatnot along some of the fairways, yet the hole designs and green complexes were genuinely fun to play.

Not especially challenging or a shorty full of funhouse quirk, but every hole had some element that made it interesting; I guess part of what attracted me back again was that all the features worked together in a visually pleasing way. It was like that chick you don't normally look at twice, but once you do, there is plenty to keep you busy. Nothin' fancy mind you, but when you walk off #18, you'll have liked it a lot without being able to put your finger on exactly why.

My wife and I played Southern Dunes today, and got paired with a couple from Ontario who own a house on Dukes. The husband said we needed to play it.  I usually don't pay much attention to such recommendations, but he loves Southern Dunes, said they'd considered building house at Sugar loaf Mountain and highly recommended Tobacco Road... which leads me to believe in his judgement.  (He hopes to play all of the Strantz courses some day)

Now you mention it, and use the same kind of language he did.

Guess we'll have to get over there.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom Yost

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
Must agree with Gib,  David's work at The Duke is worth a visit.   If one can overlook the very mundane tract home development the course is routed through and the requisite cart use, one will find generous playing corridors and thoughtful and interesting hole designs.  Makes a great 36 hole day when paired with Southern Dunes.  Druzisky also did Laughlin Ranch (also mentioned in the article)

Jason - you are thinking of Kino Springs, the Red Lawrence design near Nogales. (Sabino Springs in Tucson is a recent RTJ2 design now called Arizona National).  I haven't played Kino, but on a recent visit to the area, we stopped by for a peek and saw enough to know I must return with clubs.

While on the topic of Red Lawrence, I just played for the first time in about 20 years, The Heritage Course at the Wigwam resort.  (aka the Red Course, aka the West Course), this is an old school parkland layout with very interesting greens and I found it a delightful change of pace from the usual target/desert style that is typical here in the PHX.

The best of the bunch would be Los Caballeros.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
Jason - you are thinking of Kino Springs, the Red Lawrence design near Nogales. (Sabino Springs in Tucson is a recent RTJ2 design now called Arizona National).  I haven't played Kino, but on a recent visit to the area, we stopped by for a peek and saw enough to know I must return with clubs.

Kino Springs is correct.  I always mess that name up.  It is not the greatest golf course but I love the setting.  You almost feel as if you are participating in a Western. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
Gib,

I consider The Duke to be a great warm up course for those visiting golfers who haven't played golf in awhile. Wide fairways for the most part and some very interesting holes. Paired with Southern Dunes , it's a very good start to a winter golf vacation.

Tom,

I'm not sure how much of Red Lawrence remains at Wigwam Red due to the incursion of housing. I'm playing Gold next Monday and will try to find out some history from the golf staff. Red is a great change of pace from desert courses as is Gold.

I'm planning a trip to Parker soon and will play Laughlin Ranch and Emerald Canyon. Kino Springs looks like a must play the next time in that area.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:05:38 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tom Yost

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »

I'm not sure how much of Red Lawrence remains at Wigwam Red due to the incursion of housing. I'm playing Gold next Monday and will try to find out some history from the golf staff. Red is a great change of pace from desert courses as is Gold.

Would be interesting to find out more.  From my memory, the course always was routed for housing, but the housing had slowly been developed over the years.  The earliest google earth sat view (1992) only has a few holes "legible."   There was nothing different from my earlier visits in the mid-80's that I could tell.

Funny story, there was a high level amateur tournament taking place on the Gold course this past weekend.  We were warming up with some college age kids that were just killing the ball.  When we checked in with the starter at the 1st tee, he told us about someone complaining that they lost their ball in the middle of the 15th fairway on the Blue course because the hole lies at the far end of the driving range and the fairway was filled with range balls (~350 yards away).   :o

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:51:21 PM »
Thanks for this thread and the commentary on The Duke--with a couple quick 1-2 day trips down to PHX from Denver this month i was just starting to look for some options, and sounds like The Duke will fill the bill for a snowbird day trip round. We have played Longbow in Mesa the last couple years on these day trips and like it quite a lot, but at least at first glance Longbow's rack rate is getting pricey.

Speaking of pricey, I looked at We-Ko-Pa and it was something like $200 for us non-resident pigeons. What site do you Arizonans use for golf bargains?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
Thanks for this thread and the commentary on The Duke--with a couple quick 1-2 day trips down to PHX from Denver this month i was just starting to look for some options, and sounds like The Duke will fill the bill for a snowbird day trip round. We have played Longbow in Mesa the last couple years on these day trips and like it quite a lot, but at least at first glance Longbow's rack rate is getting pricey.

Speaking of pricey, I looked at We-Ko-Pa and it was something like $200 for us non-resident pigeons. What site do you Arizonans use for golf bargains?

Golfnow has the most options, but WeKoPa is not included among their offerings. Hey, it's cheap in the summer!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
What do folks have to say about Randolph North GC in Tucson?  "Wee" Billy Bell course with some interesting history here.  To my knowledge, William Watson consulted on picking the land within the area before the club decided on their own for the location.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
Patrick,

I don't think Randolph North qualifies as a "hidden gem" or even off the beaten path. It's near downtown Tucson.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
What do folks have to say about Randolph North GC in Tucson?  "Wee" Billy Bell course with some interesting history here.  To my knowledge, William Watson consulted on picking the land within the area before the club decided on their own for the location.

I used to play it a lot when I was in college.  During the summer you could walk it in the afternoon for $5.  It is a relatively bland course although the back nine is much better than the front.  The greens are pretty small and the par 5's are relatively short and fun.  The par 3's are quite good although they neutered my favorite - the 6th, a couple of decades ago. The par fours have a nice mix of distances - generally 400-450 in length with a couple of decent shorter par fours mixed in near the end of each nine. 

It is a nice change of pace from desert golf of you are from the midwest. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
I am not a fan of Tubac.  It used to be a decent low key 18 hole course but was modified to add housing and chopped up enough that the result is a hodgepodge.  I would rather drive the extra 30 minutes to play Sabino Springs for a much lower price.

I do like Rio Rico quite a bit.  It is probably a Doak 4 but has some very interesting holes along a canyon on the front side and decent, if not memorable holes the rest of the way.   It also has those RTJ air-strip tee boxes.

Rio Rico is fun, but man it can be cold down there!   I did like that short par 4 up the canyon, but most of the course is a blur - maybe because of the chill factor. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
Has anyone played a course in Northwest Phoenix called, I think, The 500?   It has some connection to a nearby racetrack.  I liked it a lot, pretty flat but some cool holes.  Cheap.  Very easy walk and no housing.   That made it unusual. 

www.the500club.com

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
Has anyone played a course in Northwest Phoenix called, I think, The 500?   It has some connection to a nearby racetrack.  I liked it a lot, pretty flat but some cool holes.  Cheap.  Very easy walk and no housing.   That made it unusual. 

www.the500club.com

Yes - the backstory behind the 500 Club as I understand is that it is/was owned or co-owned by former Indy 500 racer Tom Sneva. It's been many years since I lived not too far from there, but he had the most tricked-out golf cart that allegedly could reach speeds of 100+ mph.

I enjoyed the golf course but it wasn't an architectural marvel. I always felt they could've gotten more from the site but it was a good, affordable public golf option in the north/northwest valley.

Ken Moum

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:04 PM »

If you do play the Duke, Southern Dunes is just down the road.  My wife and I just played it and enjoyed it immensely as usual. We had a 25% off coupon from EZlinks.com so it cost just over $50 each.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

www.the500club.com

Yes - the backstory behind the 500 Club as I understand is that it is/was owned or co-owned by former Indy 500 racer Tom Sneva. It's been many years since I lived not too far from there, but he had the most tricked-out golf cart that allegedly could reach speeds of 100+ mph.

I enjoyed the golf course but it wasn't an architectural marvel. I always felt they could've gotten more from the site but it was a good, affordable public golf option in the north/northwest valley.

Agreed.  I liked the holes that edged up into the surrounding hills. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
Rio Rico is fun, but man it can be cold down there!   I did like that short par 4 up the canyon, but most of the course is a blur - maybe because of the chill factor. 

3500 feet makes a difference.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »

www.the500club.com

They keep tinkering with the course, and almost always making it worse. They now have an island green par 4.

But their "Futures Course" 9-holer makes for a nice stroll and is a good place to take a beginner.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »

www.the500club.com

They keep tinkering with the course, and almost always making it worse. They now have an island green par 4.

But their "Futures Course" 9-holer makes for a nice stroll and is a good place to take a beginner.

I actually liked the little island green, made a 3!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »

www.the500club.com

I actually liked the little island green, made a 3!

It was a better hole previously, but there's no arguing with success.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back