News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Playing Pasatiempo
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
I've up to the Santa Cruz area several times in the last 10-12 years, but I never seem to be able to make the timing work out correctly.  I think this is the year that finally changes.  I'll be heading up to my sister-in-law's family's house in Aptos for a few days the week between Christmas and New Years, and I'm determined to finally play Pasatiempo. 

With that in mind, if anyone is going to be in the area and would like to join me, please let me know.  I'm likely going to make a time for Saturday the 29th, with no particular preference as to time of day, and while I'll play by myself if no other option is available, it would be great to play with any other GCAers in the area. 

David_Tepper

Re: Playing Pasatiempo
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
Bill -

I certainly do not want to talk you out of playing at Pasa, but you should be aware that we have had a lot of rain so far this winter in Northern California. It looks like we will get more between now and December 29. Conditions in the area are likely to be very soft.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Forecast-Wet-weekend-dry-Christmas-4125011.php

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
If the weather holds you might check into the discounted rate on their website if you book last minute within 48-72 hrs of planned tee time. $150 or less greenfee if you can wait.
And if it is great weather you might want to also play Pajaro Valley golf club right nearby. Very fun course and inexpensive.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »
Ok the trees have grown in a little but I would not worry about soft greens when making a trip to Pasatiempo:

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »
Ok the trees have grown in a little but I would not worry about soft greens when making a trip to Pasatiempo:

Every time I see that photo I am amazed, what a cool look at that hole and it really feels different today - which is too bad...

Bill, I have only played Pasatiempo once - a huge regret of mine since I lived in San Francisco for several years.  I loved it and if you are in the area, I would make sure to try and visit regardless of the weather/conditions...

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
That picture looks incredible.  Right now the plan is to try to play Pasa, possibly as a single, and join another GCAer (or more) for either that round or Pajaro Valley.  The house where I'm staying in Aptos is probably 10 minutes from Pasa and 20 minutes from Pajaro Valley.  It's actually probably walking distance from Seascape, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »
Bill,

My only regret after playing Pasa in August was that I didn't play it twice!

I turned up early and walked the back nine before I played. Was nice to have as much time as I needed to take everything in on that first lap around one of the most majestic things I have ever seen. Without clubs, but knowing I would be playing the holes later that day, it was perfect. I highly recommend that approach.

MWagner

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
Check out this amazing rendition from Michael G Miller that he did from a 1921 photo.

http://michaelgmillerfineart.net/Golf%20Landscapes/002b.jpg

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
I wouldn't expect too much from Pajaro.  It's as above average muni-type course that kept its greens fast (at least the 2 or 3 times I played it, the last being over a year ago).  I think fellow GCA member Pete Galea left as superintendent some months back, so I think people can be free to speak more openly about it now and praise it less effusively.  And it will be wetter than Pasa.  Pasa itself should be pretty wet unless there is a complete dry spell between now and then.

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
The gushing for Pajaro was always because of Pete, he's good people (as is Charlie, Bobby and Ryan).  There is little if any architectural merit to the course, its inclusion on any "must play" list is due to the price.

Pete liked to keep the course firm but as a general rule, it is a simple course, with attributes than many clamor for:  short par 4s, firm and fast, and trees, and the fast greens made the course no pushover.  I've played 6 or 7 rounds at Pajaro (I am a member) this year, but none since August.  After Pete left, they soften the course a bit.

It is winter time in California, conditions are going to be hit or miss based on rain and disease/damage to the turf.  Pasatiempo and Pajaro fall into his category.

And to date, the Pasatiempo area has had almost twice as much rainfall as the Pajaro area.  Pasatiempo has a far bigger maintenance budget and completed drainage work in the past few years, so which course is drier could be a toss-up.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Pasatiempo is one of the best courses on the planet.

No one should umm and ah over conditioning or weather before playing it.

It should be played as often as time and money allows.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
I went ahead and made a time for four players at 10:50 a.m. on the 29th (Saturday) at $150 per player.  I was able to get it without paying the early reservation fee, and from looking at their site, it appears I can still cancel a portion if we don't fill out the group.  Right now I think we have two (with Connor Dougherty), and a couple of people who aren't sure yet.  I'll update as we get closer in case anyone else can make it. 

Eric Olsen

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »
I am also going to be in Aptos between Christmas and New Years and am thinking about playing pasatiempo.   I played bayonet at thanksgiving and enjoyed it.  Seascape wasn't worth it.   If I play, it will likely be early in the day during the week, like Thursday or Friday,  so I don't think I will join you on Saturday.   Forecast looking good right now for at least some dry days leading into the weekend.   

Bill Seitz

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Eric, let me know if you change your mind.  I'm in L.A. for Christmas and I don't think we'll be driving up until the 28th, so I won't be able to get out there any earlier

I'd heard Seascape was unimpressive.  My brother's in-laws (where we're staying) have a place on Bayview Drive, right on the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean, and we drive past Seascape every time we go in or out, so I've been curious, but just haven't made it over there.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:51:49 PM »
Aptos has a few nice medical marajuana locations if golf gets rained out.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
Be sure and stop for a few moments on the 6th.
The Good Doctor isn't very far away...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
Just curious, what's the address on bayview drive?  I played the front 9 on seascape and quit because it was too slow, soggy, and not particularly interesting, especially when it was a day suitable for the beach.   The forecast seems to me improving and I may try to play Friday morning.  It's been a while since I've been on this site and can't figure out how to send you a private message.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »
Aptos has a few nice medical marajuana locations if golf gets rained out.

http://www.potdeli.org/

A friendly budtender recommended the Grandaddy Purps for golf.  Avoid the Blackberry Kush, at least until the 19th hole.  Eat the sugar free brownie bars at your own peril.  A "friend" got a horrible case of the runs from them and was too f*)%ed up to remember how to wipe...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:45:49 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Seitz

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Just curious, what's the address on bayview drive?  I played the front 9 on seascape and quit because it was too slow, soggy, and not particularly interesting, especially when it was a day suitable for the beach.   The forecast seems to me improving and I may try to play Friday morning.  It's been a while since I've been on this site and can't figure out how to send you a private message.

It's around 600 Bayview, I think.  It's just south of where Toledo hits Bayview in a T intersection, so it's in the stretch between Toledo and where Bayview curves around.  They're right on the edge of the cliff that overlooks the ocean.  My sister-in-law's parents have done pretty well :)

To send a PM, hit the little word bubble under the screen name of the person to who you want to send a message.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:22:43 PM by Bill Seitz »

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
Bill S. -

How did you round a Pasa go? What kind of shape is the course in?

DT

Bill Seitz

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
Bill S. -

How did you round a Pasa go? What kind of shape is the course in?

DT

Just got home an hour or so ago.  I played with a friend of mine from Alameda and Connor Dougherty of GCA, who instantly started the day in an antagonizing manner by wearing his San Jose Sharks hat ;). I absolutely loved the golf course and the setting. Fortunately we played today instead of yesterday. Althought the rain stayed away yesterday, it was sunny and warmer today, and the course had an extra day to dry out.  Still, it was pretty soggy, and a lot of balls plugged a bit. Connor's tee shot on 13 plugged completely and we were lucky to find it. I was surprised at how much water some of the hillsides retained. It was definitely playing longer than the 6,500 yards on the card. The greens were generally in good shape, but pretty soft, and they tend to get a little bumpy for a late morning tee time. They'd be a heck of a lot of fun to putt with about another foot or footy and a half on the stimp meter.

It's hard to judge a course after only one play, so I still need to think about the architecture a bit. The par threes are all seriously gorgeous holes. 11 is probably the longest sub-400 yard hole I've ever played. We almost witnessed an albatross on six, but Connor left his three wood about six inches short for a tap in eagle. The back nine is clearly the better portion of the property, but I think the front nine was very good as well.  I'd love to play 16 a few more times (well, I'd love to play the whole thing a few more times).  We were able to get a $150 green fee. It's two or three times the course for five bucks cheaper than Cog Hill.  I'd like to get back at a time of year when it isn't quite so soft.  

Overall it was a really fun round of golf in a really tremendous setting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back