News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Brett Hochstein

Re: Terrain: How steep is too steep? [for a par 3]
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
Brian,
I will take your 3rd at Craigie Hill and raise you the 2nd at Bishopshire:

Someone left the flag out, but the green is the flat in the middle where the turfgrass disappears.

Looking back down at the tee.  The first hole tees are down at the edge of the flatland, or next to that green you could see way down there, which is only 380 or so yards away laterally. That's a lot of climb in a short time (google earth estimates 165' change for the par 4 first and the 2nd, but it almost feels like more). This course plays up the side of one of the dominating Lomond Hills in central Fife, which are seen for miles including from across the Firth of Forth.  Bring a sherpa.

The 7th at Anstruther is a solid uphill too. This one is odd because unlike almost every uphill hole ever, the green actually sits back away from the edge, allowing a run up if you clear the ridge.

For the record, neither of these is great, but they both provide a fun change of pace to the norm (the "fun" moreso at Anstruther) and some good exercise.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
The 9th at Capilano plays around 175 and is 40 feet uphill.  I don't think I would want much more of an uphill shot than that, but it was a nice way to take up a good chunk of the climb back to the clubhouse.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
Two pages and nobody on this thread has mentioned the *very* uphill 16th at George Thomas's Whitemarsh Valley near Philadelphia.

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Two pages and nobody on this thread has mentioned the *very* uphill 16th at George Thomas's Whitemarsh Valley near Philadelphia.

Kyle, how uphill do you think 16 at WV is?  I don't think it's too extreme, do you?  I love the hole and never considered it to be over the top.  It's part of a great set of 3's with about as much variety as you can get.

Cedarbrook has two pretty significant uphill par 3's as well - 5 and 16 I believe.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »

Kyle, how uphill do you think 16 at WV is?  I don't think it's too extreme, do you?  I love the hole and never considered it to be over the top.  It's part of a great set of 3's with about as much variety as you can get.

Cedarbrook has two pretty significant uphill par 3's as well - 5 and 16 I believe.

I don't believe the question is about the total change in elevation, it's how rapidly that change in elevation occurs, which in the Whitemarsh Valley hole's example is extremely rapid!

Since you're a Penn State guy, are you familiar with some of the holes at the Elks Club which is the course south of town along 322? The short 2nd hole plays steeply uphill as well!

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
I don't believe the question is about the total change in elevation, it's how rapidly that change in elevation occurs, which in the Whitemarsh Valley hole's example is extremely rapid!

Since you're a Penn State guy, are you familiar with some of the holes at the Elks Club which is the course south of town along 322? The short 2nd hole plays steeply uphill as well!

It is a rapid change in elevation at WV 16 but it doesn't start for at least 70 yards or so from the tee and the hole is only 145 from the tips, so I don't think there is much issue with getting the shot up.

Yep, played Elks once when I was in school.  I can't recall too many of the holes in particular but I recall several severe holes up and down the mountain.

Jackson C

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
Tom-  yeah 30 or 40 ft. seems about right.  after looking at some photos of the 3rd tee shot to jog my memory there is no way it's 70 ft.  maybe 70 ft to the house behind the green!

What helps #3 @Pasa in my mind is that it does not look as far uphill as it plays.
It makes it a much more visually attractive hole.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
#12 Golf Club of West Virginia, Waverly WV
#7 South Hills GC, Parkersburg WV

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 01:09:04 AM »
Posted by: Jackson_Chen      Today at 06:17:16 AM

What helps #3 @Pasa in my mind is that it does not look as far uphill as it plays.
It makes it a much more visually attractive hole.

I agree.  It is difficult, but the gradual rise to the green makes it inviting.  The great thing about that course is that even the forced carry holes are playable and fun.  the 3rd is fun because you have to stay focused and determined - only a really good shot will find the green.  I also like the uphill par 3 5th, I think that green is one of the best on the course.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

Pete_Pittock

Re: Terrain: How steep is too steep? [for a par 3] New
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
Alderbrook in Tillamook, Oregon has a par 3 where the mountain starts up right at the front of the tees. Probably 40-50' elevation change. It is now the 15th hole, but has prevously been the 12th and 16th holes.

For a picture look at this photo gallery http://www.alderbrookgolfcourse.com/photoGallery.html and trroll down the left side until you see someone in a red hat. For those of you that know Royal Colwood's 12th, Alderbrook is taller and steeper. In fact Alderbrook appears steeper than any picture on this thread.

Honorable mention may be the 15th at Royal New Kent from the red tees.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:07:44 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Neil White

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »
The first and second at Church Stretton are both uphill par 3's - the second in particular is up a very pronounced slope.

The first.

The second.

Both photos courtesy of Sean Arble.

Neil.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:37:13 AM by Neil White »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »
I always thought the 17th at Ogden, Yorkshire was steep but you haven't seen a golf course on a slope until you have played Realp in Switzerland. Truly, everything else is tame in comparison.

http://www.golf-gotthard.ch/platz.html#

click on the virtual tour at the bottom of the page and go to loch 4 to get an idea of the severity of the slope.

Jon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
#8 at Lookout Point in Fonthill, Ontario (a Travis) has a massive rise in elevation. I play a low ball there, personally. Try to bounce it off the bridge in front for a layup.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back