News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Furyk Design, thoughts?
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
Played at Ocean City last weekend and tried his course at Glen Riddle. Not a bad track for resort golf then got to the 12th hole and was dumbfounded by the design.

A LWH appears on the right side of the fairway at 175 ( blue tees) and continues until approx 255 yards off the tee. The fairway you have to aim at is no wider than 12-15 yards. OB on the left side and a ball hit to the center of the fairway bounces directly right and into the LWH. I know this from experience. It was a draw too, right hand player. .

Locals say the best way to play is a seven iron, followed by a huge fairway wood and then a little wedge into the green. Odd, really odd.

Do any of you DC area guys have experience with his other courses?? I was enjoying it until this point. The hole stuck out as a questionable design from the tee. I kept my thoughts to myself and let the other guys bring it up. Several patrons at the bar, not with us, were heard questioning the hole.

Has anyone played his other courses, is he known for this or did he simply cram a hole into a location for the routing??

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tom_Doak

Re: Furyk Design, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
Does he have any other courses?

Honestly, that's the first time I've heard his name tied to a project.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
 I believe he was involved with a course in Middletown De. It may have only 9 holes completed.
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
I googled him and saw nothing. The one hole just stood out as really odd.

Also they had a backhoe parked green side on 18, looked like the approach sustained some damage from Sandy.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Didn't know he had anything to do with Glen Riddle.  Know some guys who have houses there and think the courses are good but not great.  Haven't played them.

Will Lozier

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
He was a player "consultant". ???  In other words, he sold his name for the project.

Cheers

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
Can you post an aerial of the 12th? The course website doesn't have any illustration/map of the holes.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

William_G

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
why would anyone pay him to help design or get his name on a project? ???
It's all about the golf!

Will Lozier

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

What else would "consultant" mean?  I agree with you that Furyk's name doesn't do it for me when it comes to wanting to play a course he had a hand in designing.  But, it seems somebody (with a lot of money to lose) thought it would be appealing.

Cheers

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
Can you post an aerial of the 12th? The course website doesn't have any illustration/map of the holes.
found it on goggle maps but dont know how to post, i can't even get the avatar to work for me.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
 The course that Furyk was involved with was the Levels affiliated with the St. ANNE'S CLUB. The whole thing came tumbling down.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/five-hour-energy-linked-heart-attacks-spontaneous-abortion-025115948--finance.html

If he wants to design courses, he'd better get started soon.

It's too bad all of that extra energy hasn't translated into a faster pace of play around the greens.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
On the list of player-consultant names that would drive me away from a golf course, this one is near the top.

WW

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »

Maybe he paid them to get his name on the project.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:35:54 PM »
Does anyone think that he could play golf after drinking his Five Hour energy stuff?   Is he the person Martin was mentioning in another thread?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
That is exactly what I thought too. I guess the almighty dollar comes first.

Maybe with a shot of that crap I would have enjoyed the course more?

Keith Grande

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
I have played that course several times, and I too, have hit a drive down the left side, hit the cart path and bounced OB!  The course is not very user friendly if you can't carry the ball over 150-180 in the air.  Seniors have trouble with this course.  Not to mention there is a par 3 on the front with large marsh and reeds to carry, making it a blind shot.  The 9th hole also has a long carry over marsh/reeds, with driver bringing reeds into play.  If you don't lay up to the edge of the reeds you have a 150-185  carry to get to the green.

But, the most puzzling hole is the 18th.  A long fairway straight away off the tee, however the green is 90 degrees to the right of the fairway, over a pond/stream running the right side of the hole. A few trees on the right about 150 yards out off the fairway obscuring the green from the tee.  We hit driver down the hole, wound up having to shoot back to the right making a longer approach shot into the green.  My buddy, a PGA instructor, looking at the hole for the first time, figured the best way to play the hole was 7-iron off the tee past the trees on right, then 7 iron into the green.  We though the tee shot from the Red tees made it a better hole, a driveable par 4 with a slight fade, as the tee is situated just left of the fairway facing the green.  He wound up speaking to Furyk about the hole, told him how it played as two 7 irons on a finishing hole.  It would have played better as a par 3.  Jim said "I hadn't thought of that". 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »

Charisma?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »
I wouldn't guess that "fun" is high on his list of design priorities.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back