News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Bickford

2013 USGA Venues
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
Is 2013 the best year for USGA venues in recent memory?  With Merion, The Country Club, NGLA, and Sebonack in the line-up, it seems like a great mix of the old and the new.  Just throwing it out there.

Howard Riefs

Re: 2013 USGA Venues
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
And there's also CC of Charleston for the US Women's Am. and Wade Hampton for the US Senior Am.

Here's the full list of 2013 USGA championships and corresponding venues:

http://www.usga.org/ChampsSchedule.aspx?taxid=2147483799&Year=2013

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David Bickford

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
I was told by someone at The Country Club that the USGA looked to have the Open there next year to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ouimet, but the Club said no.  They are still scared by the behavior from the '99 Ryder Cup.  After that Ryder Cup the Club had strong opinions about how the PGA runs events, compared to the Club's positive history with USGA events.  Having the US Amateur was a compromise so that they could still recognize the 100th anniversary.  I don't know how true this is, or if the USGA wanted Merion all along.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
I have heard that story as well, but it was more related to having many of the tents and such on the Primrose course, and losing use of those holes for the membership while they came back from the wear of hosting a big tournament.

The US Am should be good for Boston though...Charles River has made some good changes for the Am as a secondary course, and TCC has done some great work too with tree removal, and adding several tees.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
I was told by someone at The Country Club that the USGA looked to have the Open there next year to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ouimet, but the Club said no.  They are still scared by the behavior from the '99 Ryder Cup.  After that Ryder Cup the Club had strong opinions about how the PGA runs events, compared to the Club's positive history with USGA events.  Having the US Amateur was a compromise so that they could still recognize the 100th anniversary.  I don't know how true this is, or if the USGA wanted Merion all along.

What does the Open have to do with the PGA? The PGA Of America runs the Ryder while the USGA runs the Open. Are you saying that they preferred an amateur event versus a professional one?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Bickford

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
They have nothing to do with each other.  Other than local tournaments, The Country Club had always had USGA events until '99.  That Ryder Cup got out of hand (like the champagne spraying from the balcony scene), and from how I understand it, the Club ended up blaming the PGA for not running as tight an event as the USGA.  For 2013, TCC didn't want to bring in a big event like the Open, so they are having the Amateur instead.  If it wasn't Ouimet's 100th anniversary, they would likely not even be in the discussion.  Either way, I'm excited to see both Charles River and TCC host next year.  I love watching the oldest courses standing up to today's game.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
To answer the question of the OP. Yes.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
The 2013 USGA lineup is far and away one of the best lineups I've seen in my short lifetime. It's also worth mentioning Omaha CC (US Senior Open) which has received praise from other GCA members and Martis Camp (Junior Am) are also on the list for 2013. I haven't played either but both have received praise here on the discussion boards.

Also worth mentioning the R&A lineup: Deal for the Amateur, Muirfield for the Open, Hoylake for the Boys Am, and Royal Birkdale for the Senior Open.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
I was at Martis Camp a few days ago and although it will not be on TV it going to be a good choice for the junior am.  It's somewhat of an unusual choice, it's Fazio, played in the mountains at high altitude on a course that is a very difficult walk.  With that said, it has a membership that will spare no expense at putting on a good event.  The condition of the course (very hearty Kentucky blue grass) will be exceptional.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »
I was at Martis Camp a few days ago and although it will not be on TV it going to be a good choice for the junior am.  It's somewhat of an unusual choice, it's Fazio, played in the mountains at high altitude on a course that is a very difficult walk.  With that said, it has a membership that will spare no expense at putting on a good event.  The condition of the course (very hearty Kentucky blue grass) will be exceptional.

I applaud Martis Camp for stepping up and have no doubt they will do the best they can.  The Tahoe area is also a great place for the parents and kids to visit.  However with all the fine courses in the USA, why do they subject everyone to walk a very hilly place on a daily basis?  The course is okay, some strange bunker work, but I understand changes have been made since I visited the place.  It needed some changes.  The winner will no doubt have very strong legs.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
David - my impeccable member source tells the opposite story.
Cave Nil Vino

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Joel,

I believe that some of that JR. Am is on TV. I recalll seeing Bob Tway's kid playing in one on TV in the last several years.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

I applaud Martis Camp for stepping up and have no doubt they will do the best they can.  The Tahoe area is also a great place for the parents and kids to visit.  However with all the fine courses in the USA, why do they subject everyone to walk a very hilly place on a daily basis?  The course is okay, some strange bunker work, but I understand changes have been made since I visited the place.  It needed some changes.  The winner will no doubt have very strong legs.

Lynn:
They have done a lot of modifications to the course and the bunkers are very deep and penal which for a private club has always struck me as strange.  With that said, it far better than "okay".  I think it may be the best Fazio course I have played, the back nine being very good.  I agree that those young kids are going to tired after walking 18 and maybe a little confused with that altitude.

The 17th, a par 3 with some interesting movement in the green.

astavrides

Re: 2013 USGA Venues New
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:54:39 PM by astavrides »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »
Seems like I have seen it but it's more of a highlight show as opposed to live coverage.  You may be right.

Another par, the 3rd or 4th?  The green slopes hard from back to front.

Anthony Butler

Re: 2013 USGA Venues New
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
I was told by someone at The Country Club that the USGA looked to have the Open there next year to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ouimet, but the Club said no.  They are still scared by the behavior from the '99 Ryder Cup.  
The fact the Town of Brookline stuck them for a bill way bigger than TCC expected for fixing Putterham Meadow golf course (used as a parking site during the '99 RC) played a much larger role in TCC saying no to any future majors... It was still a line item in the Town of Brookline's financial statement in 2003, 4 years after the event.

TCC turned down the 2005 PGA Championship before the 2013 Open,
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:40:11 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back